Mainland Embassy full of idiots

Yes, the Chinese Embassy in New Zealand is full of rude idiots. I can imagine that a few of you would find it interesting to ask a few questions to them. Their replies are short, don’t answer your question, and are damn right rude. I suppose their level of English sucks and they can’t write a polite message.

I asked them about the difference between needing a work permit visa and a business visa. I explained the situation, the length of time, and the kind of work that it involved. I also CLEARLY explained that I wouldn’t want to apply for the wrong kind of visa and get into all sorts of trouble. I can understand that this may not be their field but at least they could be courteous in their reply. Wait… these are mainland Chinese. :smiling_imp:

Ask them a question - go on, I dare ya. :wink: :wink: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: chinaembassy.org.nz/eng/lxwm/t39413.htm

A high-level figure at the waiban (office that deals with foreigners) of the university I taught at in China was a two-faced, back-stabbing weasel of a man. Although he liked to brag about how great his English was and that he had lived for many years in England, his English was astonishingly poor – so much so that I and other first-year teachers (note: just teachers, not even language students) could often spot mistakes in his translations … when we could even understand what he was saying at all, that is.

He seemed to hold a special contempt for foreigners. In fact, he was so unpleasant that his lies about the foreign teachers proved to be the last straw for a prominent U.S. university, which pulled out of its cooperation with the Chinese university after many years there.

(He also had huge tufts of hair growing out of his nostrils :shocker: , a fact I want to mention even though it doesn’t really have anything to do with this particular rant.)

But after the debacle with the U.S. university, was he reprimanded? Of course not. He was assigned to a high-level consular post in New Zealand, where he might be to this day, poisoning NZ-PRC relations. Ah, a silver lining.

I know of a store in Taipei that has an excellent selection of high quality tweezers imported from Japan. Maybe you could purchase a suitable one and mail to him . . . . . .

(I recommend tweezers as opposed to those small electronic nostril hair trimmers – which I find don’t really get to the root of the problem.)