Mainland tourist in Taiwan

Official figures have that 174,000 Chinese people from the PRC have visited Taiwan.
Approximately 117,000 of the visitors are first time visitors.

At the end of March, 2009 3,000 daily visitors from the Mainland visit the island.
Currently April statistics put about 4,000 visitors are arriving from the mainland each day.

Hmm, looks like Taiwan is a vacation spot for new wave of WSR these days.

Soon Taiwan will be full of Chinese people.

Is it true that they are deliberately avoiding Greenie stronghold sites?

Just the Confucius temple in Tainan. :smiley:

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Official figures have that 174,000 Chinese people from the PRC have visited Taiwan.

At the end of March, 2009 3,000 daily visitors from the Mainland visit the island.
Currently April statistics put about 4,000 visitors are arriving from the mainland each day.

Soon Taiwan will be full of Chinese people.[/quote]

I thought you believed that there are no Taiwanese in Taiwan?

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Official figures have that 174,000 Chinese people from the PRC have visited Taiwan.

Soon Taiwan will be full of Chinese people.[/quote]

Links, please?

Not that I am doubting you, I have also noticed a slight increase. I mean, even the hotel next door has received quite a quota. Sincerely, I am quite happy with them Mainland tourists. Pretty friendly bunch. The guys are very good loking, well-built chaps. “Alentaditos” (healthy looking), we call 'em back home. Manly, simply dressed, courteous… :howyoudoin: :lovestruck:

news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009- … 189887.htm

Island Romance…

Hotels in Hualien are booked solid next week due to mainland tourists… even seeing the groups in smaller less traveled towns.

Wonder how many of the 174,000 have disappeared? Any stats on that?

Mmm, but, can this amount be mantained. From CNA:

[quote]The number of arriving Chinese visitors broke the 3,000 mark for the first time Wednesday to reach 3,043, according to statistics released that day by the Tourism Bureau.
The tourists, among a total of 105 tour groups from major Chinese cities and provinces, arrived in Taiwan throughout the day, either via direct charter flights across the Taiwan Strait or through Hong Kong or Macau, Tourism Bureau officials said.

As Thailand has been plagued by anti-government protests in recent weeks, the officials said, many tourists have dropped their Thailand travel plans and have instead included Taiwan on their vacation itineraries.

Meanwhile, many Hong Kong citizens also took advantage of their Easter holidays to visit Taiwan, leading to a full load factor on nearly all Hong Kong-Taiwan flights and prompting carriers operating the route to offer additional flights in recent days to meet the surge in demand.
[/quote]

Yep, I hear Cantonese spoken in the groups, but could be Guanzhou people.

Those mainlanders, coming here and wrecking the economy by spending their commie money all over the place…the gall, I say. I bet they’re also getting dangerous sociopolitical ideas as well. :grandpa:

I wonder what the Green blowhards think of this? 3000 daily visitors, that is a ton of extra money being pumped into the local economy (the mo-ji factories of Hualien are working overtime, kiddies :discodance: ).

Now, maybe hospitality will become a new career path on this island and we will finally get some decent service! :bow:

It’s a different level of hospitality for Chinese tourists and it doesn’t involve English services either unfortunately, but glad to see the economy getting a boost alright.

Has to be oodles of potential in the fact the Rmb100 looks so similar to the NT$100, but is worth almost 4x as much.

HG

I guess they will keep prices high in Taiwan? At least at the tourists areas? Most of them seem to be fine. One of my net friends ran into a few that pissed her off though. Seems they asked her to take some pics of them at the Taipei 101 and she complied. BUt one of them made a stupid remark about white girls being stupid but at least can take pictures. That made her mad (rightly so) and she said to them in Chinese that was rude and they shouldnt judge a book by its cover. They retorted that if they were back in China they would find some way to have her arrested. She replied, no worries, shes in no hurry to go to a place where they dont respect human rights. GOod for her. BUt such peasants huh, who would ask someone to help then talk shit bout them?

Wow that is really harsh :ponder: :noway: good for your friend though! :bravo:

fucking horrible. If I was your friend I would have said, “ya know what, white girls are also clumsy,” and smashed their camera on the ground.

Jesus, I thought they were supposed to be letting out the ‘well-travelled, cultured’ ones?

Gosh, it sure is a shame they never bumped into this stupid white woman outside 101. I’m just, like, super super clumsy and my Chinese is very poor so I might have accidently said something impolite! Chinese is so, like, super-difficult, but I just love the 5000 year old culture, y’know?

These ARE the well-traveled, cultured ones.

[quote]http://www.chinadaily.net/china/2009-04/03/content_7645625.htm

Zhao Genda, a 63-year-old pensioner from Changzhou, Jiangsu province, gained instant notoriety after Taiwan TV reported that he carved his name and that of his hometown on the rock face at Taipei Yeliu Geopark last Friday.[/quote]
:roflmao:

That rock is now officially Chinese. Anyone want to take a picture of the rock for posterity?

These ARE the well-traveled, cultured ones.[/quote]

Well, maybe. China was just freaky. Met some really nice people there who seemed really genuine yet I was also absolutely plagued by complete scumbags, as well. Really quite hostile people, trying to rip me off, following me, wanting to be my friend and tell me how shit America is, etc. Not saying I’m really streetwise or anything, but I can count and understand Chinese and read menu prices, etc, and I’m not going to pay triple for everything because I’m white or be told I’m fat, stupid, ugly, etc, etc by some troglodyte shopkeeper. Although some Taiwanese people can be shitty, I’ve never had open hostility (not before they’ve got to know me, anyway) and the openly expressed belief that I am a lesser life form, in Taiwan. Chinese people can be breathtakingly racist, yet they see this a good thing, not something you keep quiet about in normal society.

There are also a fair few Chinese tourists where I live. They dress oddly, with really showy fake bags and mostly look pissed off and confused. They walk around in really tight little groups with a Chinese tourguide with an umbrella. I stomp straight through the middle of their groups shouting ‘PAI SAY, PAI SAY!’, forcing them to break rank. Hehehe.

It’s such a double standard, as well. Should I try writing ‘Buttercup woz ere’ on the walls of the Forbidden thingy and see what happens? Mind you, everyone does it at the great wall. The tour guide tells you in English that you mustn’t write your name on the wall (erm, what? I wasn’t planning to!), but every inch, at the touristy part of the wall is cover in Chinese characters. The Chinese tour guide told me they had all been written by the ancient garrisons that were stationed there. :laughing:

A classmate of mine had very similar experiences during her summer in Beijing. People were constantly trying to scam her/follow her/talk trash about her in Chinese. And that’s in the nation’s capital, not some rural outback. The sad part is that she had been interested in Chinese culture for all of her life, is a practising Buddhist, learned Mandarin before ever stepping foot in a Chinese speaking country, and was excited about the trip for months. The brazenly racist hostility turned her off from China completely.