"Mainland"? Which Mainland?

How different political spectrum refers to China:

Pro-China LTH era KMT Old guard KMT Pro-Taiwan
內地 中國大陸 匪區, 淪陷區 中國
Interior Continental China Bandits controlled area, Occupied area China

It’s pretty obvious that the Pro-Taiwan has the most factual and neutral term when referring to China.

3 Likes

Well they still are Communist Bandits. They’re trying to steal Taiwan!

2 Likes

“Storm in Straits, mainland cut off.”
In Taiwan you don’t have to ask which straits, and that also immediately places the continent.

“Of course it’s political. The implication is that it’s the same country and/or province.”

And the term is not (necessarily) political. I the aforementioned case it predates British entry into the EU (and possibly the EU itself, since some accounts have it going back to the1930s).

The current paradigm is ROC Taiwan. That’s what Tsai used in her speeches and emphasized on 10/10. If anything it’s the Huadu position.

That is, that the ROC is Taiwan and Taiwan is the ROC. Apart from a few old taidu guys and some deep blues, everyone is in consensus on that. 84% of people agreed with Tsai that the ROC and PRC are not connected.

So I think not using 大陸 is fine now. There is no need to get rid of the ROC , the ROC is Taiwan and Taiwan is the ROC. There is nothing to be independent of or no independence to move towards.

1 Like

I usually use China to refer to the PRC and Taiwan to refer to the ROC, except when I’m speaking casually or talking about the geograhy.

1 Like

Yes they are the same thing:
台灣
中華民國台灣
中華民國在台灣
中華民國

All the same thing.

I think its a lot better that society can compromise rather than pointless culture wars.

Except in the British case, they are talking about the geographical mainland Europe, and not referring to it as an individual country within that geographical concept.

Perhaps he should be more in touch with Taiwan’s official government stance and nomenclature! Like it or lump it, it’s officially referred to as 大陸 / mainland. Of course who “owns” the mainland is a point of conflict!

大陸委員會 (mac.gov.tw)

This might trigger some people here, but I find Taiwan rather Chinese if you look at history, culture, language, etc. I think de-Chinesefying Taiwan is not a good idea. China is not the problem, it’s the current government over there that is the problem. And even if Taiwan was recognized as an independent nation by the global community, it still would be a very Chinese country in my eyes.

1 Like

Until you look at it and realise that it’s under duress and that the majority of Taiwanese people want to be a country officially named Taiwan.

Should Taiwan not choose its own path? Taiwanese consistently state they want to forge their own independent path as Taiwan. Whatever Taiwanese means, it’s their path that they pave.

Its fine for Taiwan to be politically Taiwanese and culturally Chinese, which it is for most of the Han population. De-sinification was a reaction to the over-sinification of the KMT regime, which in itself was a reaction to the cultural revolution in China. Chinese culture is good and now that there is more political consensus in Taiwan, I think people can feel easier around this.

Meaning just because Taiwan is culturally Chinese, it doesnt mean that it doesnt have the right of self determination.

1 Like

These semantics help create a new identity. As much as we, TI supporters, like to think Taiwanese think of themselves as a separate culture it does go deep enough yet. A lot of Taiwanese just think Taiwanese identity means a China that is more polite and no CCP. We need to help cement a new and separate identity from China.

On a side note, I personally would like to see Taiwan formed around an idea (freedom) rather than ethnicity or language but I understand that’s a tall order and I will settle for Taiwanese as a separate identity regardless of what it turns out to mean.

Yea people should just refer it to china instead.

Or “Hundred Acre Wood”

1 Like

Why does a country have to be a specific ethnicity or culture? That is inherently racist in my opinion. Values and ideas are worth fighting for, ethnicity and culture aren’t.

But TI is kinda dead or a fringe position. The reason the DPP dont mention TI, is that:

1. They cant do it
  2. Its not a big vote winner or something that people are that invested in
  3. People are not looking to engineer a new identity or separate from Chinese culture, they just dont want to be ruled by Beijing.
  4. Culture wars are a waste of time and resources

If you look this year, Tsai has moved dramatically further away from TI and towards the ROC center. She has waved the ROC flag for a few years, sings the national anthem.

This is Taiwan ambassador to US Hsiao Bi Khim on 10/10 this year. Unthinkable for a DPP politician 5 years ago.

Taiwan is a multi-cultural society dominated by Han Chinese. ROC is Taiwan and Taiwan is ROC, so you get two countries for the price of one.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No it isn’t.

1 Like

Becoming independence as an ultimate goal is very much supported. Most people support the status quo because they are afraid of what China might do but they want independence as a final goal.

2 Likes