"Mainland"? Which Mainland?

They should at least investigate where the money is coming from, and ban China’s soucing.

I agree, im not sating its a good thing either. Was just pointing out that taiwan allows an absolutely absurd amount of free speech, which is what the US right and largely the left and center is all about. i find it strange we are killing it as far as their beliefs on freedom and we get no support over a tyrannical regime. My point is more about that irony, not such much if taiwans allowance of such is right or wrong, to which i agree CCP propaganda should be weeded out here.

1 Like

The Americans had the intent of letting Taiwan reintegrate with a China friendly to the US. However, that doesn’t mean all legal procedure could be by-passed for the ROC to annex Taiwan straight away. According to the UN charter, if the trusteeship was handled correctly, the people of Taiwan are the ones to decide whether or not that integration should happen.

Just reference the The Trust Territory of the Pacific, some like Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall islands voted for independence, while others like the Northern Mariana Islands voted to become a part of the US.

1 Like

Not enough political will to deal with a lot of this stuff and then too much push back. But year should do.

Too much time and resources gets spent on criss straits issues in general

Sounds quite contradictory to me. If Taiwan was part of the UN’s Trust Territory of the Pacific why wasn’t it administered by the United States like those Pacific islands, but instead handed over to a known ruthless dictator, friendly or not to the US? Was Taiwan too much to handle?

So if all legal procedure could not be by-passed, where were the consequences, when that happened? I think at that time, considering dictatorship was quite common, these new UN laws didn’t really work as they were supposed to. If the only consequence was losing prestige in the global community, why would a dictator even think about it?

Seems like a rather bad judgement call by the US.

The Allies delegated administration of territories separated from enemy states. Korean was divided up into 4 administration, so was Germany itself.

You keep invoking the might makes right argument to prove that the KMT could do anything they pleased since the Taiwanese failed to put up enough resistance to stop them. In that case, I think any discussion is moot, since we can just wait to see the results and say that’s what’s supposed to happen.

“Reintegrate” sounds like they very much thought of Taiwan as part of China. To me it looks like in the eyes of the Allies Taiwan returning to being ruled by China (friendly to the West) was a foregone conclusion.

I am just saying that the laws are useless when there is no one to enforce them. And yes, in that case, rulers will do as they please and we can do nothing else than wait and see what happens.

Franklin Roosevelt felt that way. However, the UN charter was put in place so that ultimately if the trustee or the administrator has any ambition of incorporating the enemy territory, they have to work to gain the people’s support so that they would eventually vote to join.

For now, the ruler voted by the people, wants to push for Taidu without angering the US, so that’s just how it will go until the next election.

And there is nothing wrong with that. It’s all about the consequences. But not likely the ones initiated by the UN.

So if CKS did act in violation of a UN charter, were there any repercussions? Was his case brought to the Security Council or something along those lines?

Was he ever pressured by the West to have the people in Taiwan self-determine their future, I wonder.

There were repercussions, but like mentioned before, Korean war put an end to US sanctions towards CKS and KMT.

1 Like

We are.

Are we?

To say Taiwan is in China’s sphere of influence isn’t the same thing as saying we’re part of China. Chill TF out yo.
China is Taiwan’s largest trading partner by far both in terms of imports and exports.
Also 95% give or take ethnically Han. Also only 100kms away. How’s that not in the direct sphere of influence of the world’s second biggest superpower? :laughing:

You could also easily say Taiwan is part of the US’s sphere of influence as well as we are literally on the the razors edge of US Military dominance in the Pacific. So yeah, we are right in the middle of both the US and China’s sphere of influences.

3 Likes

You have zero idea what “sphere of influence” means in the context of international relations. I suggest you enlighten yourself.

1 Like

Oh really? Wow thanks for the heads up. I guess I’ll have to tell my old International Relations professors they were wrong too, then huh?

1 Like

I doubt they were wrong. I doubly doubt you know what the heck you are talking about. China is an enemy of Taiwan therefore it is highly unlikely that Taiwan would be classified as within China’s sphere of influence.

1 Like

China wants Taiwan because we are literally the razors edge of US Military dominance in the Pacific. Of course we are under the US Sphere of influence militarily, but that doesn’t mean what happens in China doesn’t directly affect things over here, and vice versa. Economically speaking we are very much under the Chinese sphere of influence and that is also a huge factor in IR in case you forgot. That’s why Taiwan is so unique.
Pretty sure the rest of the world already knows that. Remember that clickbait Economist article a few months ago with Taiwan on the cover as “The Most Dangerous Place in The World”?

And, “China is an enemy of Taiwan” is such a 1-dimensional way of looking at the situation. Ask any Mainland Chinese person what they think of Taiwanese people. Enemy isn’t on that list.
Shared economic and cultural interests make an actual hot-war a highly unfavored opinion both by Taiwanese and Chinese people.

Exactly, Mao123’s argument is like saying Germany and Poland are in Russia’s sphere of influence just because of trade and geographic closeness.

1 Like

Nice false equivalence :clap: