"Mainland"

Well, I’ll give what I have; it’s just some recycling. I don’t know if it’s what’s being sought. The text immediately below is presumably a translation of Mao Zedong’s words, spoken when he was interviewed by Edgar Snow in July of 1936:

–In Edgar Snow, Red Star Over China https://goo.gl/KHNhUj

Lagniappe:

Chairman Mao: It’s better for it to be in your hands. And if you were to send it back to me now, I would not want it, because it’s not wantable. There are a huge bunch of counter-revolutionaries there. A hundred years hence we will want it (gesturing with his hand), and we are going to fight for it.

Secretary Kissinger: Not a hundred years.

Chairman Mao: (Gesturing with his hand, counting) It is hard to say. Five years, ten, twenty, a hundred years. It’s hard to say. (Points toward the ceiling) And when I go to heaven to see God, I’ll tell him it’s better to have Taiwan under the care of the United States now.

–From a conversation between Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and Chairman Mao Zedong, among others, October 21, 1975, in Foreign Relations of the United States, 1969–1976, Volume XVIII, China, 1973–1976, Document 124