Major Depression

Yes, m’liege… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Whether he “should be worried” about the medication depends on what it is. Most of the commonly-prescribed drugs for depression don’t even work, and some have a range of effects that can make things worse in the long term (eg., lethargy or suicide ideation). If they help in his particular case then I suggest he should just accept that for whatever it’s worth, but aim to stop taking them as soon as practically possible.

The first thing would be to identify if he is actually depressed - most people who claim to be depressed don’t meet the usual diagnostic criteria, and doctors generally don’t argue with them. Many cases of “depression” are either unhappiness (which has an identifiable cause) or dysthymia (which is just a general feeling of being sick of life, as opposed to the crushing/debilitating misery of depression). These are often easier to deal with than actual depression: since there is invariably a real problem that is the cause of the unhappiness, there’s usually a way out.

Learning how to relax is a good first step to identifying a solution. This is an easily-learned skill - there are books and audio products you can buy that will help. If you can chill out and get a good night’s sleep, it’s much easier to have a think about where your life is going (or not going) and do something about it. Having a good friend to bounce ideas off, and who won’t judge you, will help with the next step.

1 Like

Thing is even with a cause this can lead to depression if it’s over a long term, or say throughout a person’s life.

Sure addressing the cause is easy if it’s short term, but say if someone is experience rejection all his life that’s not an easy cause to address, simply because he will develop trust issues from it.

Like Asperger’s definitely causes depression at times…

Do other people feel like things constantly go wrong for them? My sibling said they felt the same but we had the same shit upbringing lol. I notice I complain more than other people but idk if other people are holding it in or generally happy.

don’t get me started…

1 Like

The same issues as me? Trying to leave but can’t. I know you wanted to move but don’t remember where to.

Usually, yes. And yes, imagining that everybody else is doing ok is natural. Just look at a random pic of someone on the internet, and your brain will immediately assume that person has it roughly ok in their life.

1 Like

This has been the worst week of the worst two years of the last-worst 7 years of my life.

So yes, it seems the big things often have, lately.

2 Likes

Actually whenever I see any picture on Facebook I think everyone else is doing so much better than me.

2 Likes

This is why social media should be reigned in.

We barely recognize the distortion that we apply, let alone the heavy duty curation applied before people post snapshots of “their life”

1 Like

It goes beyond social media. You can do the same experiment on the street, look at people and your brain will imagine their life is good, which is rarely the case.

1 Like

I would give you a hug if I could! I completely understand the worst week of the worst blah blah blah.

I seriously feel like my only purpose in life is to take care of my sibling. I try to stay strong for them.

It explains why some may act entitled. When in your mind everyone else, apart from the obvious losers are so much better off, so much more successful than you, you start to feel the world owes you. Them acting entitled becomes a logical reaction.

1 Like

Crossing over with the Apocalyptic solar flare thread, I have come to believe that such is the closest thing to a meaning or purpose in life, to enhance the experience of others as they go through it.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about that too lately. I listened to a song that my parent that passed used to listen to with us and it says something similar.

I still need to watch those videos… And finish my damn homework

This is a thread I made when i was at my worst.

Now im better, so if need help i have 3 options:

First check of theres an available psychologist IN YOUR COUNTRY and make a zoom/Skype appointment. You can express better and feel more comfortable.

2- You can check one good psychologist If you are from Kaohsiung. Dr.Tung.

3- Im a good listener. I guess you lack of social life same as me. i mean is hard to find or make friends with people that are at your same maturity. You can’t get advice from 30up ur old taiwaneses that had a lifestyle differ from us…or worst… That still living with parents or are square minded.

I’ve been there and also felt akward and desperate to try make a friend without looking weird or throwing my problems too early…they will walk away.

4 - Try your best to speak to a counselor or psychologist , is better speak and get excersises to fight your issues intead of chemical pills.

4 Likes

That’s a really interesting perspective in the opposite way too. Are many people naturally prone to acting entitled, or are they feeding off the insecurities and overly accommodating nature of others? With famous people it surely seems to be the latter, so it’s quite possible to work in a similar way with ordinary people.

I’d say that people just need to quit pretending to be more prosperous than they are, and so those entitled people can see that everyone’s in the same boat, and may even feel a bit guilty to demand stuff…

1 Like

Another way to address this issue could be not to compare oneself to others.

3 Likes

How do you do that?

When all your authority figures constantly compare you to everyone else, and you always fall short no matter what.

1 Like