Make a wrong, right?

Wasn’t sure where to put this so feel free to point me in the right direction.

Last August I resigned from my buxiban and moved back to America within the span of 6 days. My neurological health deteriorated significantly and my wife couldn’t take care of me.

So we packed what we could and left. I’m under treatment for a still unknown neurological condition but I want to go back to Taiwan once I get this figured out.

Here are my issues:

1. I paid for an apartment as you normally would, the 2 months rent deposit and then first months rent. We only stayed for 2.5 months of a 2 year lease I had signed. Obviously we broke the lease and left them a bunch of stuff to clean out of the house because we couldn’t take everything, how will this effect my chances of getting another place in Taiwan?

2. I had a 2 year contract with Chunghwa, $599 a month with a phone I brought on, as well as Internet with them for the apartment. I haven’t paid on them since I returned to the US.

What do/can I do to make these things right or not effect my ability to live in Taiwan again once I get my health back under control. This was the first time I had ever lived alone and I know I messed up but I was in no condition to make decisions, my wife had to make all the arrangements after only being in Taiwan for 2 months.

It won’t. As far as I know, there’s no “Association of Landlords in Taiwan”.

It will only affect your chances if you find a place belonging to the same person or their family/friends.

The phone account will have been disabled. But you probably can get a phone number with another company without much issue.

1 Like

They don’t do background and credit checks on renting like they do in the states… I am not sure but even an eviction (ones where they went to the court to get you evicted) would even affect your chances of renting another house too. This isn’t the US after all.

As for phone, if you get any other service from CHT, be it internet or whatever, you won’t be able to sign up to another service until your outstanding bill is settled. I do not know if this will go into some credit history which would affect your ability to get phone accounts from another provider. But if you just use pay as you go card, then I guess they can’t do much about it.

2 Likes

I shudder just imagining what that would look like…

4 Likes