Make your own 4 rain categories

[quote]FOUR-LEVEL RAINFALL SYSTEM TO BE INTRODUCED: WEATHER BUREAU
Taipei, Sept. 11 (CNA) The Central Weather Bureau said Saturday that it will now divide rainfall amounts into four categories to better warn the public of potentially serious conditions.
Weathermen said that Typhoon Mindulle, which hit Taiwan on July 2, showed that the current two-tier warnings of heavy and torrential rain were inadequate.
In future, rainfall will be categorized as heavy, torrential, super torrential and extraordinary over a 24-hour period.
Heavy rain refers to accumulation of 50 millimeters and over, torrential 130 millimeters and over, super torrential 200 millimeters and over, and extraordinary at 350 millimeters and over.[/quote]

Not sure how this helps the public. Mudslides can also occur in “heavy” rain because of “inadequate” land development or construction. Maybe we are supposed to carry an extra umbrella or wear two raincoats on CWB “extraordinary” days. When it rains it rains and when it floods it floods. Why not have 8 categories.

The problems go back much farther than Typhoon Mindulle and it has nothing to do with categorizing rainfall.

1. Blue level-rain is light enough to wear blue flip flops with out major concern of stagnet water on feet.
    2)NDS Level- the rain is to heavy to operate a scooter. You are at risk of being apart of the pavement
    3)Hefty Bag level- The need to wear hefty bags in order to stay half way dry is nessary.
    4)Scuba Level-Torrental rains require scuba gear in order to reach your destination.

Please stay tune for the lastest weather report, film at 11 is another rerun of “Armageddon” Or “Con Air”

[quote=“namastestore”]1) Blue level-rain is light enough to wear blue flip flops with out major concern of stagnet water on feet.
2)NDS Level- the rain is to heavy to operate a scooter. You are at risk of being apart of the pavement
3)Hefty Bag level- The need to wear hefty bags in order to stay half way dry is nessary.
4)Scuba Level-Torrental rains require scuba gear in order to reach your destination.

Please stay tune for the lastest weather report, film at 11 is another rerun of “Armageddon” Or “Con Air”[/quote]

I like your levels. I’d add two more:

S&S (slip and slide) level - rainfall will not be enough to warrant the need for an umbrella, but will be enough to make you wipe out on your ass as you try to walk on the tiled sidewalks.

and Median Level - there will be enough rain falling to give all plants growing in the median (and pedestrians) a good watering as vehicles speed through the streets

I’m just so glad I was stupid enough to bring my Gortex Timberlands when I came here. I look like a genius now (you get lucky sometimes in life :bouncy:).

4 observable categories.

1. Annoying pissy rain. “It cant make up it’s mind.” A lovely British expression.
  2. ‘It just won’t ever stop’ rain. All day all night all day again.
  3. Ouch. My Eyes! Stinging rain that beats in the eyes, and on the arms and chests of every scooter commuter in this fair land.
  4. Christ, get to a high place. Its really chucking it down, watch out for falling debris.

[quote]1) Annoying pissy rain. “It cant make up it’s mind.” A lovely British expression.
2) ‘It just won’t ever stop’ rain. All day all night all day again.
3) Ouch. My Eyes! Stinging rain that beats in the eyes, and on the arms and chests of every scooter commuter in this fair land.
4) Christ, get to a high place. Its really chucking it down, watch out for falling debris.[/quote]

You forgot upwards rain, where the rain attacks from below (only available in the UK).
Sideways rain, where the rain evades umbrella defences. Can be seen without wind on some occasions.
Mist rain. This is a tactical kind of rain where it tricks you into believing it is misty, but once outside clothes become soggy in less than five minutes.
Cloudless rain. Sun shining, but raining cats and dogs. No clouds for several miles. No umbrella. No coat.
Errand day rain/car at mechanics day rain. Lot’s of important errands to do - Post office, meetings, shopping, bill paying etc. Starts dead on 0900 and rains constantly until 1730. Then it brightens up.