Making friends in Kaohsiung

Hi!

I recently moved to Kaohsuing and I’m having a difficult time making friends.
My Mandarin is really basic but I’m slowly learning. I’m not looking for anything more than friends, just some chill people that I can hangout with. I tried looking on Meetup but there doesn’t seem to be much on the app.

I’ve heard good things about the app called Eat Together, although I haven’t tried it myself. You could also look into joining some expat Facebook groups. I know there is a group that regularly gets together to play ultimate frisbee, but I’m no longer on Facebook so I haven’t seen it.

3 Likes

There are language exchange groups on Facebook, one has what looks like a fun Taiwanese lady making open invitations to various activities.

Hash House Harriers is another one I considered. I met a member once at a bar who seemed fun and suggested I join.

Lighthouse, Legends, and Foster Hewitt’s are bars in the north half of town that foreigners frequent. Sunset Bar on Cijin Island gets a lot of foreigners and is definitely worth a visit. I don’t tend to go to the little local bars for socializing, but they do exist and sometimes I’ve gotten some attention without much effort

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll see what’s on facebook and I’ll checkout that app!

Thanks for the list of bars but I’m awkward when I go to bars alone. I’ll for sure check out what there is on facebook.

:cowboy_hat_face: Sounds very French

1. age range of friends
  2. locals and/or foreigners
  3. hobbies, things enjoy
  4. studying or working
  5. short- or long-term stay
  6. which area of Kaohsiung

Think maybe open up a little more for readers.
Just :2cents:

Thanks!

1. I’m 33 but I’m open to really any age. I was in a board game group in Taipei that had people ranging from 20 to 46.
  2. I don’t mind either way. My Mandarin is extremely basic right now so non English speakers might have a difficult time with me.
  3. I like hiking, playing any kind of sport, art, board games, cooking, concerts or any type of live music, video games, and just hanging out to chat.
  4. I’ll start working January. I wanted to get myself established because that might be difficult after I start working.
  5. long term
  6. Central for now but jumping on the mrt or local train isn’t an issue for me.
2 Likes

Once you start working you should make local friends lots of Taiwanese make friends from work or school.

Besides work, I got friends from cafes I visit (with staff that wanted to know about my home country, became good friends or link me others), or even on public transport (talk fast)

Also better access to the city if you have a scooter (or car better yet)

You’re welcome. There is a Facebook group called “Kaohsiung Language Exchange and Social Network” run by a guy who basically knows everybody in Kaohsiung. They host language exchanges at Central Park and sometimes at the UNO Backpacker’s Inn across the street. They also sometimes host group games like “Werewolf” which is the Chinese version of “Mafia”.

If you join that group and go to their events regularly, you’ll probably end up meeting most single foreigners in Kaohsiung.

2 Likes

Hi. I am a mid 30s Taiwanese guy in Kaohsuing currently working as free lancer. I am bored as hell at moment. And want to meet some new ppl from different cultures or backgrounds. Also improve my English probably. If you need to learn how to ride a scooter or motorcycle or take a ride I can also help with that. I love riding motorcycle, currently owning bikes like CRF150, hayabusa and R3.

My English isn’t good but I can communicate with basic stuff.
You could use me to learn Chinese or Taiwanese (台語) as well.
If you are interested. We could arrange some meet up in Kaohsuing.

3 Likes

I am having the exact same problem and Ive been working here for 3 months. Im down to hang out…still wondering what the people here who dont have families and arent 20 do for fun…

Im down

1 Like

People don’t come to Taiwan to hang out in the cities. They come here for the nature. Remember, you’re on a tropical island. I’d recommend joining some hiking groups on Facebook, or snorkeling/paddle-boarding groups if you’re in the south.

I went sort of bar/cafe hopping in Tainan. Met some nice new people along with my two friends, we will try to do this locally in KHH though Tainan is better for this as concentration of many in area which are walkable and more visits from other Taiwanese cities, more younger visits, meet some nice ladies from central-northern city also having fun. (I brought big bottle of Finland’s white spicy water to share which helps make friends haha!)
Its been a long time since I did this anywhere, but was quite fun though control your drinking and not over overspend (no need to to go to expensive places)

bike TW, I would like to meet up if you want. I am from the U.S and came here to learn Chinese. If your interested

bike TW,如果你願意的話我想見見。我來自美國,來這裡學習中文。如果您有興趣

Howdy!!! I am a single American woman who is here until the middle of June with the intention of moving back in the fall, permanently. While I am 62, I don’t look or act my age – I am looking for friends to do low-key things – visiting cultural activities, museums, galleries, movies, along with going to baseball and basketball games. I am very easy-going and well-travelled so I can talk to anyone about anything (it’s a big bonus as an English teacher)

I like being alone, but I am really bored with myself these days. Locals or those who speak Chinese would be great to help me navigate things.

1 Like

Head to the mountains. When I became single, that’s what I did. Especially on weekends, the usual trails have loads of well educated taiwanese going up to exercise. Tons of company and teacher types. They often have pretty expansive networks of people :wink: Avoid the cult/temple type areas and go for proper hiking trails sans religious monuments. Night and day the type of people one meets :slight_smile: kaohsiung city is about 1 hour on scooter to loads of good places for hiking (pingtung).

1 Like

This is very true in my visits, easy to meet people. On other hand sometimes you just just chat with your friends.

1 Like