Making friends in Taiwan- Hash House Harriers

For those of you that feel isolated, sad, lonely etc. in Taiwan here’s an idea to make friends, get outdoors, eat and drink some beer all in one afternoon.

It’s called hashing- no drugs involved. What is it ? Errrm … basically running (as fast or slow as you like) along a route. Could be jungle, could be scrub, mountain/ hill, farmland, or even a city route. That’s not very specific so far then. I guess the only constant feature is that it involves getting together at the end of the run for food and beer. It’s all a bit eccentric and ritualistic too, with very particular phrases and rules, and even hashing hymns, but what do you expect from an activity that was invented by British ex-public schoolboy types in colonial Malaya …

I am not in Taiwan, but did my first hash here in Kota Kinabalu on Sabah, was good fun, slipping up and down a steep mountain path in the pouring rain, a bit hairy at times. The beer and food at the end were welcome. Funnily 99% of the other hashers here are Chinese Malaysians, and even Mandarin isn’t gonna be enough to communicate with them all, because it’s all dialect (Cantonese, Hakka, Hokkien) here.

Anyway I digress. Hashing is something I really wish I had tried when I was in Taiwan. The main cities should have at least one chapter. E.g the China Hash in Taipei http://www.chinahash.org/ , Taichung Hash http://www.taichunghash.com/ , Kaohsiung http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/kaohsiunghash/ .

Get out there and let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

PS Just seen that there was also a post on this by Big John in the Sports forum. [url]Run with the China Hash House Harriers! Looks like he is the guy to ask.

The subculture of hashers, like that of rugby players, has as much to do with alcohol as with sport. Let the sober be warned!

I prefer it when people run to ME with beer.

The motto, “A drinking club with a running problem”.

But very social, to the point bestowing a very special nickname, whilst sitting with a naked butt on a block of ice.

Depends on the hash group. Here the drinking seems to be secondary, (but the food is good too and often paid for by a generous Chinese “hare”). Can’t speak for Taiwan though. On balance though, you are probably going to by fitter and trimmer and hopefully happier if you join one of these hash groups, even after accounting for the calorie intake and liver damage from the extra beer.

The best way to get in touch with the Hash House Harriers is through Facebook.

The club with the most expats is the China Hash House Harriers. Just search for that on FB and you’ll hook up no problem.

Drinking is a sacred part of CHHH (CH3) life. Getting a wee bit tipsy on beer after running around in the woods for an hour or two feels great, and leads to much hilarity. But there are many moderate drinkers, light drinkers and non-drinkers in the club, so there is no pressure.

[quote=“BigJohn”]The best way to get in touch with the Hash House Harriers is through Facebook.

The club with the most expats is the China Hash House Harriers. Just search for that on FB and you’ll hook up no problem.

Drinking is a sacred part of CHHH (CH3) life. Getting a wee bit tipsy on beer after running around in the woods for an hour or two feels great, and leads to much hilarity. But there are many moderate drinkers, light drinkers and non-drinkers in the club, so there is no pressure.[/quote]

Have they ever done Belgian beer after a run … now that would be courageous … :smiley: :whistle:

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]
Have they ever done Belgian beer after a run … now that would be courageous … :smiley: :whistle:[/quote]

Well, if we could get Chimay Blue for 35NT a bottle, we might just do that!