Making sushi at home

I want to try making sushi at home but I noticed the other day that at jasons there is a fish section and a sashimi section. Does it matter which cut of a salmon or tuna you use for sushi, or is this just Jason’s method of extracting more money from my wallet?

[quote=“skullboy”]I want to try making sushi at home but I noticed the other day that at jasons there is a fish section and a sashimi section. Does it matter which cut of a salmon or tuna you use for sushi, or is this just Jason’s method of extracting more money from my wallet?[/quote]Obviously if you eat raw fish you have to be super careful about the freshness and the way it’s handled. Sushi grade fish is very fresh and handled appropriately. Other fish is only suitable for cooking.

Fish for sushi is generally frozen.
Places that sell it know whether or
not it is for eating raw or cooking.
Normally, they are two different things.
Certain parts of the fish taste more ‘fishy’
than others.
The pieces meant to be eaten raw are most
often cut before selling. The pieces that
are whole aren’t meant to be cut up and
eaten raw.

[quote=“wipt”]Fish for sushi is generally frozen.[/quote]Really? I’m not sure that’s a great idea. I think for food hygiene purposes you want to be cooking meat or fish that has been frozen. Also it can’t do much for the taste and texture.

I’m not sure it’s good either. But that’s the way it is.

Good sushi (tuna, at least) is indeed often frozen – on the boat as soon as it comes out of the sea, and its frozen whole.
But once it’s thawed, its only bad sushi that’s refrozen – if you encounter a piece of sushi in a restaurant or at a street stall that’s a bit “crunchy,” that means the fish has been caught, frozen, thawed, cut up and refrozen. That’s bad news.
Salmon isn’t frozen, as far as I know – its deep-chilled at sea but not frozen hard.
Other types of fish caught further inshore shouldn’t have had to have ever been frozen.

And just to clarify – sushi very often doesn’t have fish in it – it’s basically rice.
Sashimi, on the other hand…
And what’s worse than refrozen sashimi, you might ask? Think about monoxide-adulterated sahimi. Monoxide reacts with haemoglobin in the fish blood to give a nice reddish-pink colour, even if the fish by rights should be green and stinking.
Watch what you eat!

True. I’ve made California rolls and cucumber rolls and the like. It’s not difficult. You have to buy sushi rice, vinegar, nori (the seaweed), a bamboo thingy to roll them up, and some stuff to put inside (shrimp, veggies, etc.). I’m sure lots of Websites give instructions and the ingredients are easy to find. :slight_smile:

If I am not mistaken, or if I remember correctly, one of the main reasons for freezing is to kill the parasites in the fish along with the parasite eggs since all palegic species are loaded with them… Anyone ever cleaned an Amberjack? Will make you think twice before you order next time.

Hee hee! No, but I’ve cleaned big cod that had worms as thick as pencils in them. Right through the flesh, too, not just in the gills or gut. Anyway, you just don’t eat those parts. :wink: