Mama Cui for Foreigners?

I live in Taichung, and I am having problems with getting my landlord to return my security deposit. I read on Forumosa that Mama Cui is a good resource, but when I called I was told that they don’t provide any services to foreigners. I find that hard to believe. Is this true?

1 Like

I don’t doubt your word at all about what you were told, but it’s puzzling. I think the references to Tsuei Ma Ma (崔媽媽) on this board usually seem positive, or at least not negative.

Again, I’m not doubting you. I don’t have any direct knowledge of Tsuei Ma Ma. I’m just wondering whether that organization, or something about it, has changed since these people posted:

I hope someone comes along with some more information.

1 Like

Maybe they do not have English speaking volunteers at the moment?

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your response. I created on account online and described my problem, and I actually received a phone call this evening. They believe that the landlord failed to uphold her legal obligation to make necessary repairs and therefore has no legal right to my deposit. They recommended that I get in touch with legal aid for further assistance.

3 Likes

I think that might have been the case. Someone called me this evening after I had created an account online.

2 Likes

Go to a post office and buy a 存證信函 (legal attest letter). Have a local friend help you compose it if you are unable to write it yourself, then mail the letter to the landlord. Here is an example of such letter for asking the deposit back: 存證信函範本 | 知識宣導 | 財團法人崔媽媽基金會官網

2 Likes

Got it. Thank you!