"Man among men" in Taiwanese

hmmm, yes i misinterpreted it. been in taiwan too long lol. i think that may be somewhat of an alien cultural concept here actually.

Do you mean your answers were off?

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]well i just asked my wife again. turned out predictably that she was laughing at me because i messed up the tones for “man” and “woman.” she says “za-bo-lang e za-bo–查甫人的查甫” sounds fine.

all those are Taiwanese maverick, i assume that’s what you mean by hokkien.[/quote]

Thank you. Is there a shorter way to say, “za-bo-lang e za-bo”?

I think 男子漢 is fine.

If I’m not mistaken (and more than likely I am)"

“chapo” (high tone) - guy
“chabo” (falling tone) - gal

If I’m not mistaken (and more than likely I am)"

“chapo” (high tone) - guy
“chabo” (falling tone) - gal[/quote]

You’re not mistaken - although Taiwanese has two kinds of “o” and this one has a dot to the right of the letter - sounds a bit like the “aw” in American English “jaw”.

Man - cha-po͘
Woman - cha-bó͘

So as Chris says there are two differences between the second syllables - the “p” (more like English “b” in “boy”) and “b” (like soft unaspirated English “b” in “Albert”) and the tone (man is first tone, woman second, which is a high-falling tone in Taiwanese).

Do you mean your answers were off?[/quote]

yeah, i was thinking more of something like “a man’s man” than what you defined “man among men” as.

Do you mean your answers were off?[/quote]

yeah, I was thinking more of something like “a man’s man” than what you defined “man among men” as.[/quote]

Actually, I think they’re basically the same thing:

a man among men, is a person regarded as epitomizing manhood or mankind; (esp. as a term of praise) one who is the equal of or an example to all others; an active, well-rounded member of society.

Couldn’t that be a man’s man?

A man’s man is generally a man who exhibits many masculine characteristics – good and bad alike – while a man among men is usually being singled out for moral fiber, statemanship, or something positive like that.

At any rate, I’ll bet a dollar to a doughnut that none of the suggestions so far are really the way a native Taiwanese speaker would express either of the above meanings. I’m not saying I know, just that my language radar suspects that these are nothing more than direct translations, and that native speakers’ nodding in response means more “Um, I understand the words you’re trying to say” rather than “that really means what the English original means.”

Hi-thank you all for your help but no one answered my question:

Are there any shorter ways to say, “yi shi cha-bo-lang diong e cha-bo-lang”, and “chit-e cha-bo-lang chin yong”?

Please let me know. :help:

lam-zu-han is my friend’s suggestion.
She’s a native speaker.

yeah, thinking about the actual connotation of “man among men” that has got to be better.

[quote=“wisher”]lam-zu-han is my friend’s suggestion.
She’s a native speaker.[/quote]

Thank you wisher.
Is that the only term she knows?

Hello. I’d like to know, is LIN SIONG LIN or LUNG SIONG LIN other ways you can say “man among men” in Taiwanese?

I’d like to know, are the following terms used in Taiwan?:

模范男人,男人中的典范
精品男人,男人中的精品
极品男人,男人中的极品

[quote]模范男人,男人中的典范
精品男人,男人中的精品
极品男人,男人中的极品[/quote]
I don’t think so.
Never heard of it.
And it’s written by simplified characters.

Traditional characters :
模範男人,男人中的典範
精品男人,男人中的精品
極品男人,男人中的極品

[quote=“wisher”][quote]模范男人,男人中的典范
精品男人,男人中的精品
极品男人,男人中的极品[/quote]
I don’t think so.
Never heard of it.
And it’s written by simplified characters.

Traditional characters :
模範男人,男人中的典範
精品男人,男人中的精品
極品男人,男人中的極品[/quote]

Hello wisher, thank you for responding.

Are LIN SIONG LIN and LUNG SIONG LIN other ways to say “man among men” in Taiwanese?

I am Hakka.I am not good at Ming Nan.
Is it “人上人”?
If it is “人上人”,it is a bit different.
Man among men I think you can use "好漢"(ho han).

neuro.ohbi.net/~huanyin/a/tw_teaching_index.php
staff.whsh.tc.edu.tw/~huanyin/seekscence_6.htm

You can check this out.
Hope it is helpful.

[quote=“wisher”]http://neuro.ohbi.net/~huanyin/a/tw_teaching_index.php
staff.whsh.tc.edu.tw/~huanyin/seekscence_6.htm

You can check this out.
Hope it is helpful.[/quote]

Thank you-are there any English language versions of those sites?