"Man among men" in Taiwanese

Hi. I’d like to know how do you say “man among men” in Taiwanese Hokkien and in Taiwanese Mandarin? Can someone please help me out? Thank you.

What’s the difference between Taiwanese Hokkien, Hokkien, and Hoklo? And what’s the difference between Mandarin and Taiwanese Mandarin?

I suspect that Taiwanese Hokkien is just Hokkien (fujian hua) spoken with one of the Taiwanese accents and terminology, while Hokkien is more like that spoken in Hokkien. Hoklo is an English term made up by some academic for English speakers to make Minnan sound like something uniquely Taiwanese. Also, standard Mandarin is audibly different from other types of Mandarin.

As to the original question, I don’t really know the proper romanization, but I think something like nanzuhan diong ei nanzuhan. But I’m not a native speaker so I could be wrong.

Yes, but he’s looking for a written, not spoken answer.

Yes, but he’s looking for a written, not spoken answer.[/quote]

OP said “How do you say” not “how do you write”.

OP said “How do you say” not “how do you write”.[/quote]Yes, but I think Maoman’s guessing it’s for the comic book the OP’s writing.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 666#717666

Ah, see, I didn’t know that, and went by the original posting.

[quote=“Poagao”]Ah, see, I didn’t know that, and went by the original posting.[/quote]You obviously don’t spend enough time on Forumosa. :wink:

In Mandarin you can say 他是男人中的男人.

In Taiwanese Mandarin it would be “Ta su nan zen dzong dei nan zen”! :slight_smile:

there may be something to that but “ho-lo-oe” is a common term meaning “taiwanese.”

i ran the analogous “yi shi cha-bo-lang diong e cha-bo-lang” past my dictionary, she just laughed at me. so i think that won’t cut it. didn’t dare to try poagao’s “lam-zu-han.” “chit-e cha-bo-lang chin yong!” got a much better response. i’ll add some characters later, havne’t got working on new computer yet.

there may be something to that but “ho-lo-oe” is a common term meaning “Taiwanese.”

i ran the analogous “yi shi cha-bo-lang diong e cha-bo-lang” past my dictionary, she just laughed at me. so I think that won’t cut it. didn’t dare to try poagao’s “lam-zu-han.” “chit-e cha-bo-lang chin yong!” got a much better response. I’ll add some characters later, havne’t got working on new computer yet.[/quote]

I know “ho-lo-oe.” “Hoklo” is obviously a different word. There’s not just something to it; that’s what happened.

Go ahead and try “lam-zu-han”. You never know; it might just work. As for “chit-e cha-bo-lang chin yong!”, that’s straying kinda far from the original meaning.

[quote=“Poagao”]

I know “ho-lo-oe.” “Hoklo” is obviously a different word. There’s not just something to it; that’s what happened.

.[/quote]

no, the original character for it is in one interpretation thought to be the “hok” from “fujian” with the final “k” having become silent. that’s definitely where they got it from, why it was thought necessary to popularize such an English term is another question.

i may just do that! a bit late for it now though, lol.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Poagao”]

.[/quote]

no, the original character for it is in one interpretation thought to be the “hok” from “fujian” with the final “k” having become silent. that’s definitely where they got it from, why it was thought necessary to popularize such an English term is another question.[/quote]

Then we basically agree, since I was talking about the English term, and nobody in Taiwan or Fujian (to my knowledge) actually says “Hoklo” in that language. “One interpretation” and “they” “thought necessary” pretty much=some academic made it up. Anyway, this is far off topic, so I’ll stop.

Hi and thank you for responding. I meant both, how do you say and write “man among men” in Taiwanese Mandarin and in Taiwanese Hokkien?

there may be something to that but “ho-lo-oe” is a common term meaning “Taiwanese.”

i ran the analogous “yi shi cha-bo-lang diong e cha-bo-lang” past my dictionary, she just laughed at me. so I think that won’t cut it. didn’t dare to try poagao’s “lam-zu-han.” “chit-e cha-bo-lang chin yong!” got a much better response. I’ll add some characters later, havne’t got working on new computer yet.[/quote]
Hi and thank you for responding. Are “yi shi cha-bo-lang diong e cha-bo-lang”, “lam-zu-han.” “chit-e cha-bo-lang chin yong” Hokkien terms? Are there any shorter ways to say them?

well i just asked my wife again. turned out predictably that she was laughing at me because i messed up the tones for “man” and “woman.” she says “za-bo-lang e za-bo–查甫人的查甫” sounds fine.

all those are taiwanese maverick, i assume that’s what you mean by hokkien.

But that would mean “a man’s man”, not “a man among men”. There’s a difference, no?

Wouldn’t “a man among men” mean something like “an outstanding man”? Can the OP reword his request to give a better indication of what meaning he’s looking for?

ok i’m starting to get the feeling i’m not getting the difference lol. what is it?

[quote=“ironlady”]But that would mean “a man’s man”, not “a man among men”. There’s a difference, no?

Wouldn’t “a man among men” mean something like “an outstanding man”? Can the OP reword his request to give a better indication of what meaning he’s looking for?[/quote]

Yes:

a man among men, is a person regarded as epitomizing manhood or mankind; (esp. as a term of praise) one who is the equal of or an example to all others; an active, well-rounded member of society.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]well i just asked my wife again. turned out predictably that she was laughing at me because i messed up the tones for “man” and “woman.” she says “za-bo-lang e za-bo–查甫人的查甫” sounds fine.

all those are Taiwanese maverick, i assume that’s what you mean by hokkien.[/quote]

Thank you. But are there shorter, abbrieviated ways to say,

“yi shi cha-bo-lang diong e cha-bo-lang”, and “chit-e cha-bo-lang chin yong”?