Man Recipes

But you’re a woman. :laughing:

in my student days,

i had bread and pasta sauce. many times. it’s actually good. and super easy. you just rip the slice of bread in half and dip it in the jar. or you can pour the sauce on half, fold, and tada you have a sandwich (i do that with pizza, take 2 slices and make a 2 layer-pizza sandwich)

once i went to a theatre and popped open a can of Campbell’s. that is not so good cold, but doable.

mcdonald’s had a 69cent sale so i bought 10 burgers and stuck them in the fridge, and stuck one in the oven everytime i got hungry. I do not recommend this. i think i got food poisoning.

Hamburger Helper Lasagna with meat is delicious, but very easy to gain weight (unless that’s your goal, I don’t recommend eating this too often)

right now i am just cooking rice, and then microwaving a piece of ready-sauced Unagi eel. simple, fast, tasty.

i found that adding slices of apple (or whatever leftover fruit you must eat soon) to your hot meal adds a tangy, cold, crunchy portion to the rest of the food.

if something tastes bad, old, funny, just squeeze some orange, lime or lemon slices. or you could drown it in soy sauce or ketchup as appropriate.

schools also tend to have lots of open functions, just swoop in with a ziploc and have yourself some cheese, soda, crackers, and celery/carrot sticks.

ok, first of all if you like japanese style curry, it’s really easy to make. just buy a box at any taiwanese supermarket(here or in the us). it will have a picture of curry on rice on a rectangular thin box and looks like chocolate when you open it.

get some meat. whatever you want. i’d advise something boneless for an easier eating experience. brown meat. add onions and carrots. add water. cook till carrots tender. break off a block of the curry stuff and add. cook until the curry block dissolves and sauce is even. serve over white rice.

another easy thing to whip up. get some packs of udon from the supermarket. the kind that comes with some vacum sealed udon noodles and like a soup base. boil water, add soup. add some napa cabbage, shreaded pork, colorful fish cake, whatever you want really. add udon noodles. drop in an egg. serve with some chopped green onions on top.

works with plain instant noodles as well. you can throw some kimchi in there if you like korean food. or add the curry from above and you’ve got curry udon.

I bet you girls are just licking your lips at the thought of all these wonderful meals we guys can conjure up. No need for you to spend time in the kitchen when you’re with any of us, eh?

Wolf’s Western Danbing
This is really easy and has a plethora of alternative versions.

Cook instant noodles. When they start boiling, drop in an egg and stir. Add vegetables as desired – recommend spring onions, dried shallots, and corn. Put in bowl. Cover with two slices of processed cheese. Allow it to melt into the noodles. Stir and enjoy with a big can of Heineken.

None of this “Man Food” sounds particularly healthy, or appetizing.
It’s just as easy to cut up romaine hearts, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, green onions, sprigs of fresh basil, and cubes of feta cheese (you can buy huge cans at Grandma Nitti’s)
Toss it all together. Drizzle in some olive oil, a few drops of balsamic or red wine vinegar, sprinkle with black pepper and enjoy with a glass of white wine and a nice baguette.
Of course that may be ‘woman’ or ‘gay man’ food, but it’s better for you than instant noodles, mac and cheese or fried eggs and dan bing.

But Alien, if I eat [quote]‘gay man’ food[/quote] won’t I start gesturing effeminately and start thinking of Brad Pitt in a whole new light?

And are you saying that a paper-thin wheat-flour tortilla, a couple of eggs, a bit of meat and greens and a tablespoon of olive oil are fattening? Unhealthy? I am sure you have more oil in your slimy cheese glop than in a week of danbings! :wink:

Wolf,
Read the package!
What slimy cheese glop?

Man Meal #477

Cook a package of instant noodles. Drain and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Take two slices of white bread. Coat one side of each with a thick layer of margine. Place a one inch thick layer of noodles on the margerined side of one of the bread slices. Top it with mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise. Add the top slice of bread. Serve with one large can of Heinken. Enjoy.

For parties, cut this dish into 16 bite-sized pieces. Keep ingredients together using toothpicks topped with olives.

Real Men Double Fry their their French Fries(Pommes Frites)

3-4 Potaters(Russet etc…) washed and scrubbed

Quality Oil(not olive, it smokes at too low a temp), Crisco, Grease, Butter etc…

Salt, Vinegar, Any sorta seasoning u like

1. Cut the taters into finger sized fries.

2. Soak the raw fries in water for 15-30 minutes(shake off ALL water…unless u like getting splattered by hot hot cookin grease) DO NOT SKIP THIS PART - Washing the fries gets rid of the excess starch on the raw potato(look at the starch on the knife u used to cut the taters)…starch fxcks up ur fry process…

3. Heat up the oil to 380 F, drop in the raw fries - fry in batches, don’t crowd the fryer. Fry for 6-10 minutes. Remove fries and drain.

4. When the fries have reached room temperature, throw them back into the fryer, which should be set to a lower temp, say 320 F or so…fry 2-6 minutes …or til golden…i prefer really brown, but i’m weird.

5. Remove fries from oil, drain, salt, season while hot.

Serve with Ketchup, Mayo, chopped onjions, or any other crazy sauces u can think of…below is my current recipe for friites sauce

Frites Sauce Recipe for the month of august
Sour Cream
Yellow Mustard
Honey
Finely chopped onion & red hot chilli pepper(both raw)
Dash of red curry paste

Sour cream gives it a smooth overal consistancy, Mustard gives it a slight tang, Honey helps carry the curry, onion & red pepper flavor out in the aftertaste(after u swallow)…ZING…Sauce does NOT keep very long…as there are Dairy and Raw, uncooked veggies in there…perfect specimen culture if left alone too long…

hey, it might be a little work, but once u get used to it…this is the effin best recipe there is for hungry mofos…

one thing to consider is…3 potaters is like 35 NT at welcome…2 packs are all u need to make LOTS of fries…i usually cook all 6 potatos worth ONCE…then double fry what i want to eat that particular day…fridge the rest of it all…keeps well cuz…shxt…its been cooked once already…

second thing to consider is…if this is too complicated…too bad for u…

bon apetit

-chris

Have you tried this with sweet potatoes or yams?

Too right, Mungacious. You are obviously a con-a-sewer.

But the word is CHIPS. CHIPS. People from the north of England often insist that chips should not be cooked in oil. Use lard, and throw away the first few batches because you need to season the stuff first. Apparently good chips require lard that is old, smelly, and full of all sorts of unidentifiable little things that impart that real chip flavour.

I understand the theory to be that hot fat (or oil) causes the water inside the chip to evaporate outward so vigorously that the fat (or oil) never penetrates the potato. Good chips are therefore very low in fat (or oil).

According to one TV cookery show you should double fry to allow the temperature of the oil to rise again - and not lower the temp as you suggest. The idea is that this makes the outside of the chip especially crispy.

Red skinned potatoes seem to work best. Beware ‘New Potatoes’ as they have a tendency to disintegrate. Chips are of course made from potatoes, not from extruded potato mulch like most ‘Fries’ in eateries except ‘In&Out’

Salt and vinegar of course, but the newspaper thing is a myth. Actually the best way is to eat them on bread and butter. (NOT margarine.) Hmm. Chip butties. I’ve had this conversation once today already but am enjoying it too much to stop.

Finally, a question: In what do you cook your chips? I haven’t seen a suitable pan here in TW. In a perfect world (ie the UK) I could buy a deep fat fryer that keeps all the splashes and odours at bay, but I haven’t seen any here. I thought about importing one, but I guess it would be on 220v. Suggestions anyone?

fryin’ 'em up rite as we speak…one bag of yams? 45 NT

the thought crossed my mind just as i was postin…

anyway…i’ll keep ya updated how it goes…

i’ve read that yams are too soft to fry…but the sweet potatoes(on round ONE) right now…are going just fine…

Ding Gua Gua comes to mind…

-chris

It might sound sacreligious, but in the absence of a chip pan I would suggest a wok. Obviously use a big one and don’t fill it too full of oil, and use a rack to make sure it’s firmly on the stove. I used to deep fry things in woks ‘back home’, and it worked fine and was more economical on oil.

If you really want to import an electric deep fryer you could always wire it up to an airconditioner plug and use that socket if you have one in your house.

Double Fried - Why?

When i fry the tater the first time, it gives it a good 75% cook-thru. Removed and drained from the heat of the oil, the tater will actually proceed to continue to cook itself completely(100%) from all the built up heat inside, and surrounding it(the massive pile of cooked-once taters).

The Second Fry simply crisps the limp fries…depending on what shade of ‘golden’ u want…i like really brown…so my ‘chips’ are all cut very thin…

Most recipes do call for a lower second round frying, i usually eye-ball it…if i was lazy during the first fry, and the little tubers got cooked too long…then the 2nd round will obviously be shorter…actual temps don’t really matter much, as long as its frying, i’m happy. Theres probably some super high level pommes friites master chef who will cry ‘blasphemy!’…but…its me who’s eatin’ my chips…not he.

Just polished off a big heapin’ pile of sweet potato/regular tater fries(one sack of Sweet taters, one 3 tater pack of normal potato)…excellent…sweet potatos and regular potatos can be fried in the same batch…they cook approx the same way…just the sweet potatos are about 10x tastier…my bro thought that i added bacon to to the fry…

Mazola Corn Oil is my grease of choice…but i am considering an all butter fry or a deep lard fry…

No high tech, new fangled eletronic fry device…i have one, but the time it takes to heat up is ridiculous…i refuse to cook on an electric stovetop, same with eletronic appliances. Gas is the only way to fly.

-chris [/end]

mung, have you ever tried making them in the shape of potato chips, or do you always go for long, thin strips?

Never tried to make real potato chips(in the american sense)…but its definitely possible…when i used to work at a hotel, i’d see the prep chefs thin-slicing huge batches of potatoes for chip-frying…same process…cut/slice and then soak in water to remove the excess starches and allow the chip to gain a little water weight…

definitely possible…most definitely delicious too…

i should try, since i usually end up frying my fries to potato chip crispness

-chris

Chips (Potato Chip OR Fries) in a Sandwich is pretty good a la Breakfast Club style.

But the bread should be toasted and spread with mayonaisse. If you have a bit of gravy to dribble on top, it makes it complete.