Mandatory insurance for everything

Why is it that whenever I sign up for some kind of activity (paddle boarding, yacht trip, tours, etc.), the organizers always make us purchase accidental insurance? I mean, why do they just assume we don’t already have our own accidental insurance? In fact, why do they just assume we can’t afford the hospital bills if we get into an accident?

I’m a little concerned about always having to give them my ID number just so they can purchase insurance for me that I didn’t even want in the first place.

Because if you get hurt or die during the activity the organizer WILL be held responsible, so the insurance is to ensure they don’t pay out of pocket. It makes sense and you will see this back home too.

1 Like

In my home country, they usually just ask you to sign a waiver. Why isn’t that an option here?

Because wavier don’t always work. If you got hurt your next of kin will place all kinds of blame on the organizer. It’s all about liability and they have lawyers who tells them to require insurance. It may be an element in the law in Taiwan too.

That means if the law says wavier don’t work, then they require more than a wavier.

2 Likes

Cuz many people are poor?
Because few have insurance that covers exreme sports ?

they have a responsibility, and while i cant testify for most people, my personal preference is to go to a place that has insurance, and not some actvity run by uncle Ganbei where if you are hurt the only thing you will get is thoughts and prayers, maybe a box of apples too…

1 Like

The cost of event insurance is usually tacked onto the cost of the thing you’re participating in. In the US, if you’re paying US$20/person for two hours of rock climbing at a birthday party, maybe a dollar or three of the cost is for insurance. That’s to cover their butts on top of the waiver. But in Taiwan, they make you buy the insurance separately.

2 Likes

It’s the same reason why gyms have setup fee. It’s for the insurance it seems.