Mandatory vax by January?

Hi, forgive me if this topic exists elsewhere but I looked around and didn’t see it.

I’ve seen a discussion on one of the Facebook groups for English teachers that all buxiban teachers must have the vaccine by 2022.

My manager at my current job is now confirming this, and suggests I go to a doctor to get a medical exemption.

On the Facebook group I see several people saying this is fake news and that teachers can choose to continue to do weekly testing, but my manager is telling me I need this exemption by January.

That’s like two weeks to come up with a way to not be banned from every school in Taiwan!

I’m sure people have strong opinions about the vaccine, but I’m just interested in the rule, not a vaccine debate. Can I continue to work without a medical exemption and resume weekly tests, or do I really need to get a medical exemption? As a physically healthy person… can I even get one!?! Is this something that probably requires a hong bao?? How thick should that hong bao be, if that’s an option? I’ve never hong bao’d anyone before (except during Chinese New Year).

Other question: does “buxiban” mean kids schools only? I also work at an adult English school who hasn’t said a word about this yet, and never asked me about my vaccine status when I was recently hired there. Since they didn’t ask, I didn’t tell.

I don’t think any job needs to know my medical information, but they all seem to think otherwise. I pissed off a boss at one school by telling her she’s not a doctor and doesn’t need to know. Oh they do…the government has made them butt into your medical history.

I wish I could just leave the country, but serious stuff has happened in my life recently… pretty much tripling my cost of living, due to what happened to my loved one and the care they now need… which will need to be paid for the rest of this person’s life… this person’s parents are helping, but they’re old and won’t be around to care for them forever… and then my expenses will be astronomical… I can’t afford it right now, much less if I lose 90-100% of my income from this new rule. It’s a huge expense but do I just abandon them? Anyway, this has cemented my vaccine decision permanently in… hmmm… cement isn’t hard enough… stone isn’t hard enough… Titanium? Diamond? I don’t need anyone needing to take care of me too. There isn’t anyone in Taiwan that would at this point anyway.

The bottom line is that people are making up their own rules, not unlike the situation in the US. If the boss says you have to get vaxed then you either get it, protest, or leave. The law says that you can opt for regular testing, but that appears to be a figleaf for the government rather than an actual get-out that will be supported by the labour dept.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

Yes

1 Like

Question has been answered. Closing for now.
OP can PM me if further discussion is needed.

1 Like