Maokong Gondola reopens

At least … until the next Big One.
Take a number … between 1 and 10,000.

Nice day to reopen. I can see the gondola out my window as it’s only 2km away, but it’s a little obscure right now with the haze. Must be lovely from the cabins. :laughing:

Interesting that one fiasco reopens the day another is closed: the Dunhua bike lane is now back to being a road for taxis. :laughing:

Heck of a job Hau-y.

Sadly, it’s been a de facto road for taxis for a long time. I see it every day.

As for the gondola, in some ways I’m happy it’s open again; in other ways I’m sad.

I am not too keen on safe gondolas. I think I will pass on the Maokong one, but part of me is happy that they revived it.

So you prefer unsafe gondolas?

I’ve been on a few different kinds, but prefer the ones above snow. At least then if you fall there’s some powder to soften the landing.

I rode my bike out to the gondola last night and thought wow there are no crowds at all, I should fold my bike up and take a ride. Then I saw that they close at 5pm during the trial period. :slight_smile:

They’ve done some work around the station and it looks nicer than before. There’s also a water fountain park to the right with a water and light show every hour on the half hour until 7.30pm. I saw it last night. It was quite good. If you have little kids take them down. It’s only about 10 minutes but the little ones around me were clearly delighted.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I rode my bike out to the gondola last night and thought wow there are no crowds at all, I should fold my bike up and take a ride. Then I saw that they close at 5pm during the trial period. :slight_smile:

They’ve done some work around the station and it looks nicer than before. There’s also a water fountain park to the right with a water and light show every hour on the half hour until 7.30pm. I saw it last night. It was quite good. If you have little kids take them down. It’s only about 10 minutes but the little ones around me were clearly delighted.[/quote]

I’m a big fan of those fountain shows; Beitou Park has one too. I remember going to Leofoo once and the only thing that impressed me was the water plaza. Water dancing in time with music…what’s not to like?

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“Mucha Man”]I rode my bike out to the gondola last night and thought wow there are no crowds at all, I should fold my bike up and take a ride. Then I saw that they close at 5pm during the trial period. :slight_smile:

They’ve done some work around the station and it looks nicer than before. There’s also a water fountain park to the right with a water and light show every hour on the half hour until 7.30pm. I saw it last night. It was quite good. If you have little kids take them down. It’s only about 10 minutes but the little ones around me were clearly delighted.[/quote]

I’m a big fan of those fountain shows; Beitou Park has one too. I remember going to Leofoo once and the only thing that impressed me was the water plaza. Water dancing in time with music…what’s not to like?[/quote]

The funny thing was, the music wasn’t loud enough and I kept thinking how crazy it was that I was in Taiwan wishing something was making more noise. :laughing:

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/loca … lasted.htm

Accused of keeping it running in strong winds .

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taipei/2010/05/03/254867/TRTC-blasted.htm

Accused of keeping it running in strong winds .[/quote]

Strange how safety becomes a concern once you’re not in charge anymore. :laughing:

I’m rode it…and I’m still alive to say it!

I think you’re supposed to say 'I’m rodden it … " :slight_smile:

I’ve never been, is post lunch a good time to take the kids?? I can see the visibility is poor but I guess children will like the ride. Thanks

I want to take maodaughter 1, but V won’t let me. She has FORBIDDEN it. :aiyo: I think it’s kind of unreasonable, but it’s not a hill for me to die on. In fact, I like it, because the next time I EYE want something unreasonable (a new bike, permission to go to Fredfest, etc.), I’ve got a card I can play. :laughing:

We went today, it was teeming with people and despite the rains, very beautiful. When we reached one particular valley we actually entered a black cloud with zero visibility (must be mist) but it was so peaceful, the children loved it.

At first I wanted to brave it and do the zoo as well but chickened out and went into the amusement park place. I have heard asiababy mention it, but this was absolute right for 3-5 year olds. Each ride is 20 NTD/PP and a few of them are really thrilling. We Will do it again, preferably before school vacations begin and on a weekday :slight_smile:

rusty old 3 megapix camera, but you’ll get the idea…

EDIT: [quote]permission to go to Fredfest[/quote]

:roflmao:

Glad you enjoyed the trip and more importantly, survived to tell the tale. :slight_smile:

your kiddies look like they had a great time. No sign of FEAR ? ! :slight_smile:

hey how bout the one in SunMoon Lake? Anyone been on that one? And now they wanna build another , longer one in SM lake.

Interesting choice of words, ha.

It wasn’t scary Tommy, i wasn’t expecting much so I bought the 30 NT ticket to the first stop, the kids loved it, so we just kept going, right up to the Maokong station and were back. Not bad, although I wonder why they had to have cable car, since most of the peaks are accessible by road.

Like all other public works in Taiwan, so someone in power could grab a shitload of money?