Marinade Pork for Safety

Found this interesting article

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/how-does-pork-prepared-in-various-ways-affect-the-blood

on how eating pork affects the blood.

In summary, it’s dangerous to eat unmarinated pork chops, but okay to eat lamb chops, marinated pork chops, and uncured pork. The danger involves the clumping of red blood cells within 10 minutes of eating unmarinated pork chops and lasts for at least 5 hours (check out the dramatic photos in that report).

This clumping is a sign of inflammation and in certain cases, this clumping could be severe enough to cause heart attacks or strokes.

Apparently, soy sauce is acidic so marinated pork chops appears to be ok… …but no more deep-fried pork chops for me (going to be tough to give up)!

• Ken

That study is bizarre.

The only explanation they can give for the apparent effect they observed in the three people they tested is:

What is it about unmarinated cooked pork that may produce biochemical inflammation and early blood clotting? A literature search revealed use of pork in the Materia Medica of ancient China. In Chinese medicine, “pork has the medical properties of being bitter, somewhat cooling, and slightly poisonous, and was used for chronic madness.”3 :s

Another questionable assertion:

Pork meat is highly perishable, even when refrigerated. In the distant past, curing pork was very important to prevent the meat of the large butchered animal from rotting, so that most of the meat was treated in that way in order to preserve it. It is “cured” with the use of curing salts, which typically include table salt, sodium nitrite, and sometimes sodium or potassium nitrate (saltpeter) to make bacon and ham.

In the past all meat was treated in order to preserve it!

And what relevance has all the information about parasites in pork?

I think I’ll wait to read a proper scientific study before worrying too much about marinating pork.

Germans have been eating unmarinated (deep) fried crusted (breaded) pork for ages … without problems it seems …

[quote=“kfmfe04”]In summary, it’s dangerous to eat unmarinated pork chops, but okay to eat lamb chops, marinated pork chops, and uncured pork. [/quote] (underline added)

I don’t see that as a correct summary of the results, but thank you for the interesting link, Ken.

Here is a proper summary, IMO: In summary, these are meaningless results, because it’s a study with only three subjects (a risibly small sample). [quote]Three adults, including two females aged thirty-seven and sixty, and one male aged fiftytwo, participated in the study. [/quote]

They did not even bother to do any statistical analysis of the results, because, as they admit, the sample was too small. [quote]no statistics are calculated in this study as the sample was small.[/quote]

Furthermore, this has not been through the process of peer-review in a reputable journal of any medical or scientific relevance, and as such, the results can be safely dismissed as inadequate evidence of anything whatsoever.

Sounds like complete bullshit to me. That organization also has far too many entries under the “quacks and shills” category. They’re kooks. Dangerous kooks in some cases, especially in the case of diet for infants. Here’s what these people recommend for your newborn:

[quote]How to feed your baby
WAPF advocates a severely deficient and dangerous diet for infants and children that has the potential to cause a lifetime of medical problems, reduced brain function, and an early death from cancer.
Infants have their best chance of developing normally when they consume breast milk from well-fed mothers. But contrary to a plethora of scientific studies indicating that breast milk should be the only food for the first six months, Sally Fellon, founder and president of WAPF and coauthor (with Mary Enig) of the book Nourishing Traditions says that pureed meat (including organ meats) is an excellent early food for babies.
What does WAPF recommend?
One WAPF baby formula mixes cow’s milk with heavy cream and other oils, while another is made from cow’s liver, beef broth, whey powder, and various oils.
It is well established in the scientific literature that a diet high in saturated fats and low in fruits and vegetables in early childhood is the leading cause of adult cancers. Infants fed cow’s milk instead of breast milk or formula do not get sufficient iron, vitamin C, linoleic acid, or vitamin E, and take in excessive amounts of sodium, potassium, and protein, which can lead to dehydration and kidney damage. For many years, the American Academy of Pediatricians has warned against the use of any whole cow’s milk during the first year of life after it was found that infants given cow’s milk developed iron deficiency and occult (silent) bleeding of the digestive tract.1 The resultant iron deficiency seen in children raised on cow’s milk in early childhood leads to long-term changes in behavior and loss of intelligence that can not be reversed even with correction of the iron deficiency later on in life.2 In other words, permanent brain damage can occur from the feeding of whole cow’s milk to babies.[/quote]

That’s just one example. You can of course marinade your pork if you like – I know I often do, but only because it tastes good – but as for the rest? Balderdash!