Mark Twain on Parenting Teens

These two quotes are attributed to Twain:

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

It is a wise child that knows its own father, and an unusual one that unreservedly approves of him.

It is unusual for a quote to inspire me, but the first one has stayed with me for years.

Do any parents of teens want to comment?

How about those of you who were horrible teenagers and how have young children–will fate come back and bite you in the ass?

As for me, I was a really obedient teen. Too obedient. I should have raised a little hell (without letting mom know about it, of course).

I was a rotten teenager , did everything my mother told me not to do and lots she didn’t even think of. :blush:

Now of course I have two small children and I’m terrified. Absolutly terrified.

I raised myself so I was more responsible. :smiley:

I was a pretty good teenager, never gave my parents anything much to worry about. Although, that didn’t stop my mom from smelling my breath when I got home every night.

I am worried about my daughter though. She is only 17 months now, but first she is a girl, and second, the plan is to move to Canada when she hits Junior High School. So she will be trying to make friends with lots of new people and I can just hope and pray that she chooses the right group to make friends with!!! I already worry about it. I’m going to be a wreck when she is actually a teen!

We’ve got a fifteen year old. He’s a good student, and he’s got a great heart.
However, I think my wife and I are going to experience a rather sudden spike in our IQs in about five years :wink: .

Teenagers are lovely–they insist upon full autonomy, yet lack the ability or the desire to take any responsibility for themselves. I smile a lot, and my teeth will need caps in another few years…