Marriage registration in both countries?

Hi,

I am about to marry my Taiwanese girlfriend and it has taken around 4 months so far to get the needed documents from my country’s government:

Now I am reading on the BOCA website to get a Resident visa (and then later on an ARC) this section in the list of required documents:

So, we can marry without any issues but then for the resident visa, it needs to be registered in my country too?

I am asking because I somehow cannot believe this is true as it would make things so much more complicated and time-consuming. Maybe I’m missing something or I misunderstood.

This would require us to:

1. Marry in Taiwan.
  2. Legalize, and translate the Taiwanese marriage certificate.
  3. Make notarized copies of our passports.
  4. Fill out the form to register the marriage in my country.
  5. Send everything to my country to the appropriate government ministry.
  6. Wait ca. 3 months as I’ve read this is how long it takes for this ministry to process requests.
  7. Get the newly received document translated into Chinese and send it to the Taiwanese consular, so they can legalize it.

And only then, once it arrives here, I can leave Taiwan in order to apply for a resident visa at an overseas mission.

I just hope I am wrong. Thank you for reading and I appreciate your help.

1 Like

I’m in a similar situation.

The best advice I got from NIA was to marry in my home country, then transcribe the marriage in Taiwan. Which I’m doing.

3 Likes

That is exactly the way it works for me back in 2007.
So if things have not change in any way, then … yeah, you have to suck it up !

And actually and to be honest, I find this way very logical except you have to leave thd country to get the new “resident visa”.
I still dont get it why Taiwan and its modern IT is unable to change the visa within the country as basically the first is a paid visitor visa and the 2nd new one is again a visitor visa (just with a marriage purpose)

PS
You forget to mention it is (next to time) of course very expensive as your marriage certificate and maybe other stuff has to be translated and stamped as well.

PS
The same paperwork more or less also exist for the term of divorce

1 Like

Yes you need to get married twice. I had to do that too during covid when it wasn’t easy. Taiwanese government not recognizing their own marriage certificate…:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Depends on the country of course. I was married here locally in 2006 and everything was done just fine through mail. Took time, as expected, but wasn’t anywhere near as difficult as driving more than a few km. I am canadian, for reference. It could well be easier to do there. But it’s still easy here.

Honestly, the hardest part seemed to be the criminal record check. Perhaps certain countries you need to do certain steps in person, but that probably isn’t a Taiwan issue. To be 100% honest, at least in cananda, the divorce is WAAAAAAY harder to get pushed through than the marriage :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@ Explant
The marriage is not the problem. It is more getting an ARC on the basis of a JoiningFamilyResidentVisa.

You are Canadian, so I guess you already had a work related ARC, which you maybe still have or in the meantime changed into an APRC.

It is a whole different story for foreigners without having a pre work-related ARC.

And I see we have been through that process at roughly the same time, so I am pretty your your country had/still have other rules than my country

1 Like

I came here on a tourist visa. Had to do the marriage from scratch. I have never had a work visa or anything formal related to work. It wasn’t hard, but theblocal offices messed up paperwork here which delayed things. Life went on, it wasn’t super difficult in the sense everything could be done locally and (for the Canadian side) via fax/mail/email/phone :slight_smile:

1 Like

And don’t forget the health check. That was a requirement too back than to get the ARC.

1 Like

This might be helpful: Talent Taiwan

2 Likes

Not anymore? I do have vague memories of having to shit there or pump up a laxative to force the shitty right there for parasites. Also knowing people being deported for AIDs.

Are these no longer a thing? Wife tells me the AIDS deportation is no longer a thing. I have doubts. But never bothered to look it up.

1 Like

I did this process 2 years ago, and yes, you need to have the marriage registered in your home country. Because of covid I had to do it 3 times, first online in Utah, then in my home country, and after that in Taiwan. I also changed my visitor visa to resident visa in Taiwan but my visitor visa was to visit family (my wife), since we were already married in my home country. It may not be the same in your situation but it doesn’t hurt to call them and ask.

1 Like

Taiwan requires that your marriage has to be registered with the Household Registration Office (HHR) within 30 days, even if it is overseas, or else you can be penalized… Not sure about where you’re from, but the US does recognize foreign marriages, and you don’t have to do anything special, unless your spouse isn’t a citizen/green card holder and you’re applying for it.

But for simplicity’s sake, I recommend getting married in Taiwan if you want to avoid having to get a notarized translation, authenticating your marriage license, and submitting it to the HHR. Not sure if it can be mailed, or if you have to bring it to the HHR in person.

My mom never thought it was a requirement to register her marriage; might’ve been inconsequential if she didn’t want me to get my ARC/reclaim my dual citizenshi, but it’s been hell because of this.

I had to apply for duplicates of their marriage license and divorce papers, and since my dad passed away and didn’t have any identifying documents (the medical examiner took his ID and he didn’t have a passport among his belongings), my application got delayed, both my mom and I had to submit a notarized statement stating we couldn’t find his ID, and dealing with TECO Seattle has been a nightmare since they refused to authenticate his death certificate and name change order (he renamed himself) until I filed a complaint with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (the HHR needs either the death cert or divorce papers, but I’m doing both just in case).

TL;DR: Taiwanese law does require registering your marriage, the US doesn’t. Not registering it is inconsequential in theory, unless you plan to live in Taiwan and/or plan your future kids to claim their citizen, then it becomes a nightmare.

Hmm, we registered our marriage with the HHR 7 months after we did it overseas, and no one mentioned anything about a possibility of being penalized :thinking:

I had to register in the home country, do a health check and have all translated into Chinese and notarized and stamped by a TECO. Then apply for a resident visa in Taiwan and get my ARC. Oh, and I had to get a police report too, translated and notarized, and stamped at TECO.

I’m just going based on the warning TECO Los Angeles put on my parents’ marriage certificate, and the HHR warned us that she might be penalized since I couldn’t get some things done in time… If I was physically in LA and could authenticate both the cert and California-notarized translation, hop on the next flight as soon TECO sends me the papers, then get my mom to go to the HHR office ASAP, MAYBE I’d have a fighting chance of 30 days.

However, I was working in Minnesota at the time, nobody told me until after the fact that if I had the translation notarized in a different state, I’d have to wait until the authenticated marriage certificate came back and send it to THAT TECO office (Chicago in my case) and wait another 3 weeks, THEN spend another week or two in the mail… Or mail it to my mom (and lose the same week or two mailing it to Taiwan), the notary office might take another week before they can mull it over and grant an appointment (in contrast to the US: I can just walk in, declare my translation to be correct, and leave in 5 minutes), so that’s also about another month, so it’s almost as if this was a set-up to fail by the Taiwanese government.

“Applicant has not provided identifying documents for the groom. In accordance with local laws, the marriage date will be the effective date: Feb 24, 1985. If you have household registration, please register with the HHR accordingly within 30 days to avoid a fine. This document’s validity is subject to the discretion of the authority requesting this document.”