Married to Taiwanese, not yet applied for Taiwan ID. Can I work abroad?

:ponder:

One: Marriage to a Taiwanese citizen doesn’t grant citizenship or an ID card.
Two: Why would you need a Taiwan ID card to work… outside of Taiwan?

It would help if you typed some more information in the body of the post…

im interested working outside taiwan…but what i am not sure is…if i am allowed or permitted to work abroad while staying here as a dependent of my husband. that’s exactly my concern.i am still holding a philippine passport. im not certain about the law or visa rules of taiwan. i am not after the taiwan id either…i just dont know if it is allowed or not for me to go outside taiwan to work while just maintaining ARC …thank you for the response.

1. An ARC with the purpose of joining your ROC-spouse with Taiwan household registration has no minimum residence requirement.
  2. That being said, if your cumulative residence per year is below 183 days, you do not qualify for ROC nationality after 3 years or an APRC after 5 years.

I have seriously contemplated acquiring a Taiwan ID card for the purpose of working in China. I have also been told that I may only need a Taiwan passport to get a 5-year Taibaojen, and not a Taiwan ID, which has more stringent rules than getting the passport.

So, basically, get a Taibaojen because you have a Taiwan passport/ID, then get a job through a friend’s company in China on that travel document, then you have a 5-year multiple entry, no limit per stay visa to China. When my wife got her first work permit in China on her Taibaojen, she left the job within a year; and because she had a good relationship with that company, they never canceled her work permit.

[quote=“Zane24”]I am still holding a philippine passport.[/quote]Coincidentally, I was thinking about giving up my Philippine passport to get a Taiwan passport. I am an RA9225 Filipino citizen, and my basic understanding is that I could reacquire my passport in the future. That’s a loop hole I hope doesn’t get closed.

[quote=“Zane24”]if I am allowed or permitted to work abroad while staying here as a dependent of my husband. that’s exactly my concern. … i just dont know if it is allowed or not for me to go outside taiwan to work while just maintaining ARC[/quote]I do not believe there are any legal issues - that is, you won’t break any laws if you have a Taiwan ARC and earn income from abroad. Plus, the taxes that the Taiwan government will seek from you would only apply for work accomplished in Taiwan and sold in Taiwan (exactly what someone who accomplishes work in Taiwan actually owes should be discussed more deeply elsewhere)

When I lived and worked in China, I “gave up” my Taiwan ARC, meaning I did not renew it when I left. I would not have done that if I had a choice, but back then, my ARC was attached to my job, and not to my spouse. When I moved to China, I should have applied for an ARC attached to my spouse (it may not have been available back then in 2006) – during the time I lived outside of Taiwan, the Permanent ARC rules eased a little bit, and I could have avoided a lot of wasted time and effort sorting out my situation in 2012.

Also, when I was away from Taiwan, I stopped paying into the NHI plan. When my wife joined me in Shanghai, she continued to pay into the NHI system here in Taiwan, and maintained her status. So, if you plan to spend significant time abroad from Taiwan for work, it is probably in your interest to renew and maintain your Taiwan ID documents.

OFF-TOPIC: Btw the issue of Taiwan nationals who live and work abroad and maintain their NHI status is a serious concern for some people here. Those who live/work/pay tax abroad may be paying the fees to maintain their NHI membership, but they are not necessarily paying the taxes from which the NHI system also draws its funding.

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Should he get a visitor visa or just a JFRV?!

Perhaps laws will change to higher fees for those who pay taxes only outside of taiwan to remain in NHI