Martial Arts for Kids

Something to consider is if the kid is interested in anything specific. If so, maybe signing them up for that would be the way to go (ie. they saw some movie and now what to learn what the good guy did.) That’s how I got into martial arts :smiley:.

How did you find a school that taught superhero superpowers? :astonished:

Being from Milwaukee, I no choice but to learn FONZIDO!

One thing that I haven’t seen anyone mention yet is the competitive nature of several of the martial arts mentioned in this thread. Taking that aspect into account, style DOES make a difference.

Both judo and taekwondo (TKD) are heavily competitive, even when the students are fairly young. Competitions are held for both of those arts very, very regularly and students are greatly encouraged to enter. In fact, belt rank in judo depends on participation in such tournaments.

This competitive atmosphere changes the training in many ways. One, the self-discipline aspect of martial arts gets jetisoned in favor of winning. I can’t tell you guys how many little black belts I’ve seen runnning around at TKD/karate tournaments throwing kicks and punches at each other. They rarely had any self-discipline but had lots of medals.

Second, the likelihood of injury is dramatically increased in judo and TKD. The emphasis in both is often on offensive techniques: that’s what wins in competition.

Several of you on this thread have trained in martial arts yourselves. i would first recommend training your son yourself. It’s a great way to spend quality dad/son time. My second recommendation would be to go with aikido, if at all possible.

Aikido teaches the rolling/grappling aspects that most on this thread seem to want and it teaches that aspect in a non-competitive atmospehere. Self-discipline is also a big part of the curriculum. Plus, it will ideally prepare your boy for further internal martial arts training when he reaches puberty.

I am a little surprise no one talks about “Tai Chi” 太極拳:eek:
yes, most of you may think about a group of old guys exericing in the park.:loco:
but Tai Chi is a long-history martial art and can do many defence and attack
skills when using strengen in moves. (most of the time you won’t need it)

Considering the spinal arthritis problem, Tai Chi is a even better choice that
it helps kids to build up their body strength and fit with the traditional 養生 theory.
Another advantages I heard about learning Tai Chi is that it can help kids control
their energy and temper. Not limited it but let kids learn how to control it. It will benefit the kids for their whole life rather than some fancy skills.
(of course, it depends on different opinions)

And by the way, it also has no age limitation. :slight_smile:

JHW,
I don’t think taiji is a good option for kids under 12. For one, taiji and other internal martial arts tend to have a more “closed” body position. That’s a little hard to describe in words, but bascially the limbs are very rarely stretched out, nor are the stances very long. Second, I don’t think that the taiji curriculum is appropriate for kids. Taiji really seems to be the highest form of MA that you can take and I don’t think that kids will have the patience to follow it.

Most people recommend teaching children long fist and I’m learning that now in preparation of teaching my son when he’s older. I do xingyi, bagua, and taiji.

Long fist stretches the body (open body position) and has longer stance work. It also concentrates on kicking, which I think kids like (TKD being an example). It seems to be an excellent way to prepare the body both for internal martial arts and weapons work. Finally, it’s a hell of a good workout. Much better than taiji in my opinion. Yes, I know that properly done taiji can be hard on the body but properly done long fist is an even better work out.

I recommended aikido becuase I think it’s a good grappling style for kids. But maybe the small joint manipulations would not be too good. What do you think?

I also would not recommend TaiQi as the main form of MA for kids. It would be good, I think, as supplemental training along with yoga.

As a main form, I would go with any MA that emphasizes flexibility training as youth is the time to start that. Also something that takes a lot of energy cuz kids are running on sugar these days. Something strenuous also let them let off steam.

Aikido kids classes. I have seen it work; at that age, you shouldnt be doing “forceful” joint locks on them anyways. You should be teaching the technique, yes. (ideally, this notion should be with adult classes, but that doesn’t work as well)

Personally, I thought I had a good foundation with shotokan karate and shaolin kung fu as a start.

[quote=“netrealist”]JHW,
I don’t think taiji is a good option for kids under 12. For one, taiji and other internal martial arts tend to have a more “closed” body position. That’s a little hard to describe in words, but bascially the limbs are very rarely stretched out, nor are the stances very long. Second, I don’t think that the taiji curriculum is appropriate for kids. Taiji really seems to be the highest form of MA that you can take and I don’t think that kids will have the patience to follow it.

Most people recommend teaching children long fist and I’m learning that now in preparation of teaching my son when he’s older. I do xingyi, bagua, and taiji.
[/quote]

I agree with your idea. True its harder for kids to understand Taichi than for adults. But if you think in another way, learning taichi can help kids(learners) to understand themselves more(innerly, mentally). However, I’m not sure what you meant about Taichi rarely stretch out. If you move fast, some flaws might not easy to fund out. Moving slow but in a constant speed is much harder than moving fast. You have to build a stronger body to do it (slow moves). My point is not arguing which martial art is better. I just want to let you guys have more choices.

About the Arthritis, here is a interesting article about Taichi and arthritis.
ncpfs.gov.tw/annualreport/Qu … 42/p10.asp

Another news link about kids learning Taichi
news.chinatimes.com/Chinatimes/n … 11,00.html

JHW,
I appreciate your reply. I’m not really trying argue which is best, just rying ot make some recommendations based on my experience.

Basically, long fist stretches the body in ways that taiji (even the Chen style that I take) doesn’t. here’s a taste of what I mean:
images.google.com/images?sourcei … =long+fist

This style is used in China to train kids because it emphasizes stretching in the moves and builds flexibility and stancework. For me at the age of 35, it’s helping me reduce the size of my gut. :slight_smile: It seems better than taiji for that.

Thanks for the links at the bottom of your last post.

I love Taichi, but don’t think I’d recommend trying to get a kid into it. Unless, of course, they are somehow into it themselves because of seeing Taichi Master or something. I had to go to my mom’s Taichi classes as a kid and they SUCKED!!! Even if they were good for kids, you’d have the problem of finding a class with other kids his age. Studying Taichi, there’s a high percent chance of your classmates being a bunch of old people. Not cool for a kid.

Kid Martial Arts that come to mind for me are:
[ul][li]Karate[/li]
[li]Judo[/li]
[li]Taekwondo[/li]
[li]Brazilian Jujitsu (though, there’d be trouble finding a kids class)[/li]
[li]I’ve seen kids in Kenpo at the Minsheng community center.[/li]
[li]Kung Fu (should be easy enough o find a kids class)[/li][/ul]

Being here in Taiwan, my vote would go to Judo or Taekwondo. One wouldn’t have too much trouble finding a school that’s close to the house (another important factor to consider) and class times to your liking. The OP already chose Taekwondo I believe.

Kids might have fun doing a version of Taichi push hands though.

Edit: Adding Chainsmoker’s post from the 1st page, because I agree. Judo would be an excellent foundation and it can be found all over the island.