šŸ˜· Masking | Countries with or without masks

Interested in knowing what the current situation is regarding masks in other countries.
Iā€™ve just got back & will start what Iā€™ve seen.

Taiwan 80% of people with masks.
England. 0.5% with masks.
Spain. 5% with masks.

Very few people wear masks outdoors:

Your experience is fairly limited if you think 80% of people in Taiwan are wearing masks, are you using some area of Taipei to represent all Taiwan? A similarly small sample size with England and Spain I presume?

1 Like

You think a lot more are wearing them in the UK?

1 Like

IME 0.5% is a bit on the high side in the UK. Iā€™ve yet to see a mask and Iā€™ve been in two cities here for a fortnight. 80% seems about right in Taiwan on public transport, IME. Probably around 50% outdoors.

3 Likes

A lot less!

In Taipei maybe, certainly not representative of all Taiwan.

Taoyuan is more my experience, but Iā€™m sure youā€™re right. I was down in Yunlin County for Lunar NY and I recall about 50% mask coverage. It was definitely a bit less than in Taoyuan at the time.

Waaaayyyy less now that Covid is no longer in the news and the weather is hot and sweaty.

That makes sense. However, the OP is comparing countries where anyone wearing a mask is effectively a statistical outlier as opposed to arguing whether perhaps 30%, 50% or 80% of people are wearing one. I think weā€™ve all been into the cultural differences involved ad nauseam, but I appreciate how it might strike the OP as odd.

Sounds about right for Kaohsiung, public transport maybe higher. I have noticed 711 staff have been taking them off more.

But get out of the cities, it has been closer to 0 for a long time

I havenā€™t been out in the boondocks for a fair while, assuming Taoyuan County doesnā€™t count as such, but Iā€™d hazard a guess the locals arenā€™t masking up on a regular basis now.

USA:
Minneapolis, MN: 1 in 500, and Iā€™ve been to a fireworks show, many car shows (my brother has a classic car and my nephew is obsessed with them), and Mall of America quite a few times.
Boise, ID: Last time I went home in April for an errand, the only person Iā€™ve seen wear one was someone in the airport, not even the same flight as me.

Taiwan (Jan-Feb 2023): I havenā€™t worn one since January 2022, which sucked to put one back on a year later. It felt like only me and a childhood friend were the ones who didnā€™t wear masks outdoorsā€¦ It was exhausting to ask my mom to remove her mask at least for a quick photo since I personally donā€™t like to associate good memories with that torture device, and I usually talked with a bit of a muffle just to make people reevaluate their stances on face diapers LMAO.

1 Like

In the UK, I saw two middle aged folk with masks on in ASDA today and had to take a second lookā€¦way less than 0.5 percent IMHO.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was there last month and saw perhaps five people wearing a mask, mostly oldies. The funny part is that the mask type favoured in the UK seems to be the cloth or foam mask, which even ā€œwe should all wear masks foreverā€ people seem to acknowledge are useless.

UAE (brief-ish layover) is around zero % - apart from service staff.

A plane full of Taiwanese people yesterday was about 30% masked. Nonmaskers were a definite majority.