Mass formation psychosis

Can you be sure that your beliefs about vaccines are your own?

Thanks I need this, I feel the onset of mass Forumosa psychosis :slight_smile:

1 Like

some threads are best for drive-bys. though in this case, the lyrics are on point

I think you have misunderstood his assertion. “mass psychosis” and “mass hysteria” have been observed and documented over a very long period of time. I haven’t heard the term “mass formation” before, but it seems to be a general term that applies to both (the distinction between ‘psychosis’ and ‘hysteria’/‘neurosis’ is basically just a matter of degree). Desmet is simply bringing together a few threads into a coherent picture that explains why it happens; and again, the component parts have been understood and documented before.

He hasn’t done anything very radical here.

Because it works. It explains the facts as they present themselves - not just in this scenario but in many others. If you think it doesn’t, then, well, walk me through (say) the Russian revolution and show me how one or more of his prerequisites are missing.

1 Like

No I haven’t, he stated it explicitly clearly. I quote it several times above.

My “beliefs” are not my own. A great deal of (perhaps all of) what we believe has been put in our heads by other people, and we build new beliefs on the bedrock of old beliefs. Nevertheless I do have sufficient background in data science and statistics to look at the facts and make a rational assessment about vaccines and COVID. What I see looks like deliberate obfuscation - the data being published is such that it’s impossible to ascertain the truth of anything. That suggests to me that somebody is Up To Something … but of course that is surmise, a belief if you like.

2 Likes

Yes, I know he used those words. I’m suggesting to you that there is nothing radical in that statement. If you heard a chemist talking about, I dunno, electron orbitals and showing you flame tests of inorganic chemicals, would you say: “well, I can see the pretty colours, but this electron business seems a bit far-fetched to me - what have electrons got to do with colours?”. You’re missing some important background here. If you’re genuinely interested in this, follow up on the topics I gave you earlier.

1 Like

I don’t think so. He’s reached a very specific conclusion, which he stated very clearly. I just want to know why he did so. I guess you don’t know why or aren’t interested, so all good.

Sorry, I’m really not following you. What “specific conclusion”? About what?

Feel free to look above and see, I quoted it directly several times.

You’re throwing around words like “conclusions” that don’t have their usual technical meaning here. I don’t understand what you think has been concluded.

He explained a few theories as part of a coherent whole. A meta-theory, if you like. There was no conclusion.

OK, fine. I guess that’s the end of this conversation.

Does any individual ever admit to having herd mentality manipulated by others? We are all individuals.

I’m not.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Probably, much of this is well known and documented and been around for decades. Various experiments have delivered stunning results, I have mentioned two.

Solomon Asch - Conformity Experiment is one where you show two lines of different length and ask people which is the longer. You would expect 99% of people to get the right answer, but when you plant everyone else in the room to deliberately give a false answer, about 30% of the people go along with them, that is stunning.

The Milgram Shock Experiment Is one where people are instructed to give a test subject electric shocks, as long as the person in authority assumes responsibility the person administering the shocks goes way beyond what anyone would think is reasonable or acceptable.

This is not to explain mass formation psychosis, but to outline, to a much larger degree than we might imagine, a significant proportion of the population will behave in ways we really wouldn’t expect.

That’s not to imply “mass formation” is happening to everybody, or to everyone equally, but when chatting with my family and they were talking about people running out to bang pots and pans at the end of the garden each day, there was a reason the guy down the road who was always first, with the biggest pans, banning the most enthusiastically and loudly was a particular person worthy of mention.

3 Likes

the moniker, rather than the general concept…

Perhaps, as for evidence, I remember last April 1st as a joke a teacher told all the kids in their class to turn up with a shower cap, the picture had 100% of the kids sitting in class with a shower cap on their head to combat the virus.

It makes no fucking sense whatsoever to wear a shower cap on your head to combat the virus, but a person of authority told them to do it and everyone was battling the virus, no one complained no push back and 100% compliance.

2 Likes

You know what, I actually saw one person walking around in the street wearing one of those medical haircover thingies along with their goggles and faceshield. And then of course there are the medical-looking gowns that they wear in the airport, under orders I suppose.

You don’t even need someone in authority to tell you to do stupid shit. Once they’ve been pointed in the right general direction, people do stupid shit all by themselves.

1 Like

How about a mask with RGB and voice amplification?

Zephyr Pro for US$149 :grin: