Massive explosion in Beirut

And the Mouth That Walks Like A Man is babbling on about how his generals told him it was a terrorist attack, causing the U.S. military to quickly deny it, meaning Trump has pulled this out of his ass again, while the usual gang posts faked videos to lie about it- I mean, “just asking”.

2 Likes

I read something about how that automatically justifies some kind of alert military posture in the region? Not that that necessarily means anything.

Isn’t is just a bird? I seem to remember seeing several small flocks of birds flying around in one of the videos (although I can’t find the video now).

lebanon birds

Could be a bird.
All kinds of chatter. A few saying it was an Iranian ammo depot. Who knows.

Probably already got punished.

I wouldn’t be surprised if our own port in Kaohsiung had a warehouse full of explosives ready for a tragedy.

I bet they’ll say he was “trolling” again. :roll_eyes:That’s their go-to response whenever he says something completely asinine.

Interesting development from CNN:

Anthony May, a retired ATF explosives investigator for the US government, said that the bright or dark red cloud seen in videos of the blast “is not consistent with ammonium nitrate.” The telltale sign of the compound would be a yellow smoke cloud, he said.

“I’m not saying that ammonium nitrate was not involved in this, it may have been but it appears that there were other items in there as well,” May said.

The amount of explosives and the shockwaves created by the blast, May said, “is typical of what would be equivalent to a kiloton nuclear bomb going off as far as the explosive weight is concerned.”

This scientist is saying it is consistent

This too

An ammonium nitrate explosion produces massive amounts of nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen dioxide (NO₂) is a red, bad-smelling gas. Images from Beirut reveal a distinct reddish colour to the plume of gases from the blast.

At higher temperatures it is a reddish-brown gas.[8]

1 Like

Those are just birds. Look at some more high quality videos. Some are very close up to the warehouse.

You can see some fireworks were burning and going off inside the warehouse. Then suddenly red/brown smoke intensifying quickly, this is when the fertilizer caught fire. Shortly after it all blew up.

Welcome to August 2020. The year is not over yet, enjoy your stay.

3 Likes

Jesus, we have to relive those months you mean?

1 Like

haha fixed

I don’t get why this “expert” would need to mention nuclear bombs here, unless it’s just to get attention by scaring people.

As I understand it, when people talk about the kiloton/megaton yields of nuclear weapons, it’s just referring to an explosive yield equivalent to x tons of TNT. That is, he’s saying this explosion had a yield equivalent to 1000 tons of TNT, which is order-of-magnitude consistent with the several thousand tons of explosive stuff reported to be in the warehouse, especially after correcting for the lower yield of ammonium nitrate relative to TNT. The “nuclear bomb” part is irrelevant here - nuclear vs non-nuclear isn’t important for this parameter, which is the point of the calculation.

1 Like

If it was actually a nuclear bomb there would be radiation.

Yes…obviously? And…?

There’s always radiation, TL.

1 Like

Because when people say “Mushroom cloud” that’s what they think of.

Obviously…that and most of Beirut would be ash.

2 Likes

Yeah, but he’s quoted as saying that in the context of “a kiloton nuclear bomb” - the nuclear there is irrelevant. There’s no need to bring any mention of “nuclear” into the discussion unless you’re trying to scare people.

1 Like

I think they do that to show how big it is in relation to a real nuke going off…so for show.

I honestly thought the second explosion was a missile strike. Doesn’t the US have a Ninja Ginsu missile or some such terrible thing now?

1 Like