Massive explosion in Beirut

Yeah, I had the same thought when I initially saw it.

If reports are correct, ammonium nitrate is behind both incidents.

1 Like

But then…first, one kiloton is ridiculously small for modern nuclear weapons, and it’s even small for the first nuclear weapons (Hiroshima and Nagasaki seem to have been 15 and 20 kilotons, respectively), and second, for how many readers does it help put the explosion into better perspective by giving the kiloton yield? Maybe there’s some 90-year-old Japanese dude who reads this and thinks “wow, that’s one-fifteenth of an Hiroshima”…?

Dude, IDK. Please don’t lose sleep over this. It’s not really the point. The point is dead and suffering people.

1 Like

Plenty of non nuclear ordinances produce mushroom clouds. The Moab for example does this

Uhm, thanks?

That’s MOAB btw.

There’s no sleep lost here. I just think it’s a stupid, alarmist comparison.

Of course it was…it’s on TV.

1 Like

Does it sneak up behind you with a knife in its teeth?

Cuts through cans maybe?

Yea try typing all caps on the phone isn’t easy. Especially with drag racing bus drivers slamming on the brake all the time.

1 Like

Note to self: never store ammonium nitrate in garage.

It was there for two years.

I’m thinking…don’t smoke around it…or don’t let Hezbollah know it’s there?

Back in 1947

" Ammonium nitrate was used as an explosive by the U.S. Army in World War II and, after the war ended, production of the chemical continued as its use as a fertilizer became accepted. However, the precautions used in its transport became far more lax in the post-war years."
1 Like

6 actually. It was confiscated in 2014.

1 Like

THAT’s the story I want to read.

https://www.indiatoday.in/world/story/beirut-blast-confiscated-ammonium-nitrate-from-ship-in-2014-could-have-sparked-explosion-that-killed-100-1708024-2020-08-05

1 Like

Climate change! Wait until AOC has someone read this article to her.

2 Likes

Hezbollah must have borrowed Obama’s time travel machine, the fiends!

Good that you’re here to clear Hezbollah’s good name!

1 Like

Wasn’t there some genius who thought they could break up clumped ammonium nitrate with dynamite?