Master's Degree references

I’m curious if anyone has been able to use their manager here as a reference? Or any recommendations on how to get references. At my current college I’ve only taken online classes.

Btw sorry if this is the wrong sub lol.

I don’t see why not, As long as they know you and can attest to the relevant traits your application needs it wont be a problem.

2 Likes

I got one from my academic advisor and one from a former employer. I got in so it worked for me.

2 Likes

Ohhh academic advisor is a good idea! I’m thinking about brown nosing a few teachers as well lol.

When I returned to be my bachelors, I did online courses for the last 3 semesters. Didn’t get to know the professors this way by my academic advisor talked to me bi weekly so I got to know him well.

1 Like

I did as a reference of a friend doing a master’s degree in Taida, so anything is possible.

1 Like

Now help with my personal statement? :sob:

ChatGPT is your friend.

2 Likes

its not too complicated : what you want to study, why, and why there…
start by answering these questions and then expand.
as long as you dont write “you are my last school of choice after everyone rejected me” you should do fine.

4 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy

2 Likes

For an academic SOP, be specific when outlining your future goals. Do your research, name specific professors you wish to study under, name specific courses in their curriculum you wish to take, name specific fields you wish to learn about and contribute to. The better you are able to do so, the better your chances. It’s also a good exercise for you to see how, if at all, you can “fit” in that unit or program—something you should consider before leaping in!

Guy

5 Likes

All the professors I emailed said they can’t be my reference because my class was online. Ummm my degree is completely online. I even tweaked my email to say I’m applying to online programs. :sob: I’ll keep trying.

You can use job supervisors

1 Like

Both said yes but I’m not sure they understand they have to write a reference letter… Also they ask for two education one job. :confused:

Never had any on campus or thesis courses?

People mean well, but are busy, ask if you can provide an example for them to approve and sign. Write something in their speaking style that says what you want and isn’t too over the top, et voila’!

2 Likes

Now that I have been accepted - is it OK to write on my resume I am starting in Fall 2023? I want to apply to data scientist jobs here. I am afraid they will not give me a job offer without me making some reference to analytics. As I don’t have knowledge just yet but working on it.

Sure, go ahead.

2 Likes

Yes, acceptance is an accomplishment

1 Like

Sure… but would anyone hiring care if you haven’t even started? Other than maybe think you’re going to be distracted?

1 Like