🏝 Matsu | Things to do on Matsu?

No, I played on another boat, on a different island, Dongju. :laughing:

3 Likes

We ate a local place where lots of army guys were. Unreal. Mussels, oysters, red sticky rice, bamboo, mackerel. Just fantastic.

And then the view. And I’ll leave you with that. If you have nothing better to do, there is nothing better to do than go to these places for a few days. It’s Taiwan, not like Orchid, which seems lesser. Or used to.

I have plans to return soon and for a lot longer.

5 Likes

I’ll have to swing by there as well. But I am sold on these two, and right now, I honestly couldn’t say which is better.

1 Like

Matsu rocks, it’s just a bit tiny.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing these photos; I’m glad you enjoyed yourselves. The next time you’re on Beigan, try to check out Daqiu islet neaby. There are hundreds of deer living there (best to go in the spring/fall and early in the morning before it gets too hot).

There are little boats scooting over there throughout the day from Qiaozi Village here (https://maps.app.goo.gl/mqX7KJRtRKBXee5Z9).

They’ve been in the process of building a bridge for the past couple of years, which I personally feel will spoil the place, and has the potential to make Daqiu have too many tourists. Taking the boat is half the fun!

1 Like

I didn’t go because it’s a petting zoo to me. lol I was laughing at the port in Nangan watching some lady sell leaves to feed the deer, leaves that actually grow on trees found on the island where the deer are. How ironic. lol The bridge is still a long ways off, imo.

Little boats now drop fishermen off on the rocky coastlines of these smaller islets. I’d REALLY like to do that, but no way am I going it alone. It’s sea bass season. I didn’t get a chance to talk to guys who were fishing, and they were on the same return flight this morning, and I missed the chance again.

I am completely enamored with both places, and am already in conversations with B&Bs about long term stays when tourist season slackens. In fact, I plan on running the 5k in the Matsu Marathon event in November!

4 Likes

@jdsmith Thanks for the photos and the blog - Matsu is definitely on the list to check out now!

1 Like

Lmk if you need anything. I’ve got the business cards of several b&bs, the yurt guy, and a few others, like the laundry mat in Mazu Village!

Awesome, thanks!

Here’s a coffee shop they built inside an old bunker on nangan. It’s a big bunker with multiple floors and a tunnel full of art:

News article: 馬祖最隱密咖啡廳!當地最難抵達的遺世書店 無敵海景令人屏息 | 旅遊 | 聯合新聞網

Google maps:

2 Likes

Nice!

I’m hoping to be in shape to do the 5k. It’ll give me a great reason to get right back out to Nangan, for a longer stay.

https://www.matsu-nsa.gov.tw/Festival-Content.aspx?a=98&l=2

The English website is kind of crap though. I’d like to know what the route is.

Maybe this a little better.

IMG_0467

Finally found the English pages.

So, I’m back for a longer stay. Two weeks in Beigan. Even my B&B lady thinks I’m out of my mind.

The topography is similar to Nangan, which is good, as I am planning to run the 5k in November.

Yesterday was a 2 mile r/w and today a 30 minute walk as a rest day. I chose cemetery road next to one of the small reservoirs. Just me and the road. And one guy walking with a Beigan marathon T-shirt. Asked but he is not running in Nangan .

Then back to the tiny beach town where I got my fan twan for a walk on the beach, which is much much cleaner beach. Last time the coast guard guy said they clean it up on Thursday so I’ll go back and see if this is a regular thing or as necessary.

3 Likes

Well, the coast guard guys we ran into on the last trip out here were right. Thursday is beach clean up day. Qin Bi village beach looks great.

And we didn’t get the chance to walk around the village last time so I did it tonight. Postcard perfect.

Learned a bit about buying and living out here. If you’re interested lmk.

4 Likes

You’ve convinced me I gotta ride my motorcycle up to wherever the boat leaves from to take the bike ferry, I’d love to put around that place

You can fly out to Nangan from Taichung. It’s only like 2k. well, 4k round trip.

1 Like

Yea but then I can’t make it a big trip with me bike :cry:

What I really wish for is a bike ferry to kinmen tho! Give me one!

Uhm, OK. You can rent a scooter for 500NT a day. But, you do you. Can you byo bikes out on the ferry? No idea. :idunno:

NVM, I see what you mean. carry on.

@Brianjones might could know.

Yea but I think it only runs certain times of the year maybe. Might be too late now. It’s ok tho, I’m in no huge rush tho, I just like taking the trip out to places as part of the journey :man_bowing: