🏝 Matsu | Things to do on Matsu?

Residents here hustle for sure. Bnb taxi mussels, this and that. They keep asking we why I wanna be here for two weeks.

I just smile.

Nothing left to do but smile smile smile.

3 Likes

Can you see all the stars in the sky? Or is it not deserted/remote enough for that?

1 Like

acc websites, looks like it’s better than the parts of taiwan you’d expect it to be better than, but still not great. you’d be best off somewhere in the mtns still

1 Like

No, not all of them.

There are lots of very dark places to star gaze, yes. I haven’t been out that late, as I’m pretty busy during the day and I get up early, and I’ve seen stars before. :laughing:

So I just drive up past the Beigan port, and went up a road ha path with zero streetlights. It was black when I turned the scooter off. Like shockingly dark. Haven’t seen that kind of dark in a while.

View back down toward Banli.

4 Likes

Same place, Nigu mountain.

Stunning.

2 Likes

Looks great. How are the grocery prices? Steep cause items are shipped in or there’s local supplies?

Great spot! Construction was blocking the path my last time out to Nigu but it’s obviously clear now and your photos are enticing me to make another trip :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s hard to say. The locals shop once or twice a month in Nangan, or Taipei (the bakery and the coffee house I frequent.

The rest is tourist food. I eat a noice fried chicken leg with rice/veg takeout for 130NT. Is that steep? :idunno: I’m still comparing it to the USD.

Yesterday I splurged on oranges and a bag of peanuts, 190NT, and then hit 7-11 for san bao fan and a bag of microwaveable chicken wings as I need the protein. So, it was what 1000NT for food all day maybe?

Day before yesterday though, I spent less than 15USD, <400NT on food all day.

I brought my own mini coffee maker though. That saves me a fortune!

3 Likes

Food was weighing on my mind last night. Restaurants close around 6pm or earlier, and the friend chicken place was closed yesterday too. So today I went to the beef noodle lady’s place and it too was closed today Ugh, however she said she’s been getting so many take out orders she could do one more. Kewl. We started talking a bit and she said don’t worry, just sit down and eat here, so I did. My sweet baby Jesus it was good, and not Beigan after two days of 7-11 bowel cement. Like Taipei beef noodle festival good.

I don’t do the here’s a famous place to eat thing, but this place is a must, if you’re here for more than a few days. She makes the noodles herself, and the beef was falling apart. Noice!

3 Likes

Bugging out of Beigan today. Headed for Nangan. Interesting to be here for the change of season.

Gonna miss Jesse the dog and those beef noodles.

3 Likes

read that as dog beef noodles

probably’d taste fine

1 Like

Nangan is busier for sure, but not as close to being as beautiful. Food is easier to secure and despite the wind and rain of the past two nights, the yurt is awesome. Still training for the 5k. The hills are a bit of a challenge, not steep where the 5k course is, but long.

Going to the smaller islets when the wind dies down a bit for the day. Here’s a shot from the tourist center.

2 Likes

Canadian blogger-at-large Prozzie recently visited Matsu, and he cannot stop raving about how awesome it is. Apparently there is some art festival going on in Beigan until November 12. If forumosans want some positive vibes on a Friday evening, here’s the video:

Guy

1 Like

The art festival, I figured out, is the 2023 Matsu Biennial (馬祖國際藝術島), on until November 12. Some details are posted here. It looks pretty cool!

Guy

He was on the boat going to Beigan when my wife and I went there last month.

He bounces around a lot and he keeps saying “Matsu” and not the specific island he’s on.

I avoided the temple crowd. Tourists! :laughing:

Matsu marathon is tomorrow. They shot off fireworks tonight that sounded like an invasion. I avoided that too.

2 Likes

Truly a fun place in Taiwan to go! cheers for the pics. it’s probably one of my favourite in house places to travel, just cause it’s so different than the Mainland. I like Kinmen too, but matsu seems more fun for us. like the high mountians, it’s also nice to go somewhere that warrants a jacket and pants :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

The jackets are out here and I think I’ve worn pants once, when it was windy for three days in a row.

feel the breeze bro! was 31C today here in the am. I get the matsu folk probably enjoy coming to the mainland and enjoying the greenhouse haha. much like we enjoy going there for the cool winter breeze!

It has begun!

Taiwan Superman!

1 Like