Mattress Buying Guide [Taipei - 2022]

I was recently in the market for a mattress and wanted to put up a short guide for anyone looking to do the same.

The basics:

• Taiwanese mattresses tend to be on the harder/firmer side. If you’re renting an apartment or staying in a hotel, it’s likely that the provided mattress is quite firm (especially for Westerners). If you’re a side sleeper and/or just lightweight like me, this can be a problem.

• The usual mattress size for double beds in Taiwan (雙人床) is 152cm*188cm. This means that if you’re over 180cm tall, your legs will likely be sticking out a bit. The good news is that Ikea (and few others) offer 190cm/200cm/210cm long beds as well. This is usually referred to as “Ikea size” in Taiwan. Nitori mattresses, however, are even shorter in length at 186cm with no other options.

Where to buy:

• Ikea: Very nice cost effective option (about 8-10k NTD average price for double beds). You can test out the mattresses at Xindian or Neihu branch. Note that the Taipei Arena branch doesn’t have mattress to test out. They offer 190cm/200cm length as well if you need that. However, 90% of the mattresses sold in Taiwan are classified as firm or extra-firm by Ikea, with a small minority classified as medium-firm. As of August 2022, it appears that they don’t sell their “plush/soft” mattresses in Taiwan.

• Nitori: Also very cheap, with prices similar to Ikea. They offer softer mattresses compared to Ikea, although the mattress dimensions are fixed at 150cm*186cm for double bed with no customizability.

• Cinderella: They offer higher quality premium mattresses, with average price of around 25000 NTD. They can customize to your needs as well. Their stores are pretty nice, and I’d recommend trying them out if you can afford it. They do offer a mix of soft and firm beds. There’s also Derekbed and Mr.Living in the premium mattress space.

• Sleepy Tofu: An online-only bed-in-the-box company, the equivalent of Casper/Nectar for Taiwan. Their most popular mattress costs 18000 NTD currently. It’s probably a medium on the firmness scale.

• There’s a popular mattress store in Taiwan called 床的世界 with several branches all across Taipei. They usually sell medium/expensive mattresses, but I also noticed that they have a partnership with Sleepy Tofu so you can order/try out that mattress in their store. Since they have their own factories, the delivery time is quite fast with their stores.

4 Likes

There are smaller local stores as well, many of which sell western mattresses. I recommend checking out small local stores too.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing a few? I actually went to only a few local stores (Cinderella, Derekbed, MrLiving etc), but they all ended up selling premium mattresses that were quite expensive, with almost no cheap options. Do you have recommendations for local stores selling cheap/medium priced mattresses?

Years ago, when my landlord bought the mattress replacement, I went to one in Sansia.

It was a furniture store. However, Street View suggests it closed down in 2020.

Something like this. Check medium furniture stores.

1 Like

Some years ago I bought a mattress replacement here at Yonghe , New Taipei city.
Quality is OK , price cheap but they have different price options , sizes and styles.

About delivery, they can send the new mattress to your apartment and take the old mattress

Also be aware that IKEA mattress have different sizes , you can check more info in the following topic

1 Like

oh man. I have lived with the 180cm mattresses for probably 15 years. once i bought those extra long ones (200cm) my quality of life improved literally 5 fold. my ankles would always be on the hard edge, if i was crunched up over the other end. numb feet, crap sleep, some back.issues etc. the 200cm mattresses are worth every single nt!!

hard to find sheets though. we ended up buying the usual 180cm foamy things and put it on top and put the sheets on that. every store carrys that size!

King is like 213cm here I think.
What I want is a king sized soft sided waterbed. Where in Taiwan?

You can buy the US California king sized sheets online. They will fit, but decent ones aren’t cheap.