Maximizing Seating

*Mods, I know this is not about restaurants per-say, but I don’t think it fits in teaching, and I’m trying to reach restaurant owners who have some expert knowledge about my topic. Feel free to move it anywhere you might think it’s a better fit.

I have a themed classroom, and this semester we have a restaurant theme going on. For now, I’ve got just chairs in the room, but in a month or so, I’ll need tables, too. I need to “seat” 36 kids in this mock up, but don’t have much room. Tables will be two wooden elementary school desks pushed together and covered with a table cloth.

I’m not asking for a floor plan, or seating design, and I couldn’t explain my classroom dimensions anyway.

I’m asking if there are ways to maximize seating that I could apply to my classroom. The kids and I need to be able to get around the room, and of course to sit at the tables and get back up again.

I am doing all this myself, and moving around a lot of furniture is something I’d rather get right the first time, if possible.

Any suggestions?

If no one has professional insight, you might want to try a free online room layout tool (like planner from Americandrew) and see what you come up with.

Either that or ask someone who plays the restaurant games on Facebook. You might do a search for hints or cheats for those games. They would tell you how best to arrange your restaurant to maximize flow and service.

[quote=“elektronisk”]If no one has professional insight, you might want to try a free online room layout tool (like planner from Americandrew) and see what you come up with.

Either that or ask someone who plays the restaurant games on Facebook. You might do a search for hints or cheats for those games. They would tell you how best to arrange your restaurant to maximize flow and service.[/quote]

Hey, thanks! Nice link!

That actually sounds like a good project in itself to have the kids solve. In fact, your situation actually could be worked so that the kids came up with solutions and moved everything themselves to see what worked best. But 1) I don’t know what kind of class it is (but even if it was a language class the instructions/debates/commands/requests would be useful vocabulary practice) and 2) I’m not a teacher. :laughing: But it seems like it could be a lot of fun and rewarding for the students if they figured it out themselves.

That actually sounds like a good project in itself to have the kids solve. In fact, your situation actually could be worked so that the kids came up with solutions and moved everything themselves to see what worked best. But 1) I don’t know what kind of class it is (but even if it was a language class the instructions/debates/commands/requests would be useful vocabulary practice) and 2) I’m not a teacher. :laughing: But it seems like it could be a lot of fun and rewarding for the students if they figured it out themselves.[/quote]

Yes, if this were anything near a regular class, even an English class, it would be a great project. Critical thinking and problem solving skills that no Taiwanese teacher is ever likely to teach them are built right in!

But I can’t do that. I have about 150 classes, across 4 grades, to get in and out of my classroom in the next few months. I have each class for a total of 40 minutes (less the time it takes them to get to my class from their other classrooms), and I have to have a “product” to sell to other schools who come here, or that I can take to other schools.

I like it, though. You sound like you’d make a good teacher!

If space and quantity of kids are a problem, try a U configuration. Probably the most efficient in this situation, gives you a middle area to put something, kids come in a walk behind the desks, plus they can sit on either side of the desks…in effect doubling the number of students. I have a pretty small classroom where I have to fit in 25 junior high kids, works like a charm!

Housecat,

Are you getting involved in an “English Village” program? I’m currently preparing students to take part in one, and as a “potential customer” would be happy to share my experience, including examples of what I think should have been provided by the hosting school to help us prepare.

[quote=“asiababy”]Housecat,

Are you getting involved in an “English Village” program? I’m currently preparing students to take part in one, and as a “potential customer” would be happy to share my experience, including examples of what I think should have been provided by the hosting school to help us prepare.[/quote]

See PM, Asiababy.

Must resist… muuuuusssst resist… nnngggghhh… muuuuuuuusssssttt resist… (snap!)

Damn… sorry, the pedant in me is just too overpowering, and is demanding that this be addressed…

It’s “per se”, and should be italicized because it’s Latin. :grandpa:

OK. Sorry about that. Carry on…

[quote=“Chris”]Must resist… muuuuusssst resist… nnngggghhh… muuuuuuuusssssttt resist… (snap!)

Damn… sorry, the pedant in me is just too overpowering, and is demanding that this be addressed…

OK. Sorry about that. Carry on…[/quote]

You’re forgiven. I understand. :slight_smile:

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“Chris”]Must resist… muuuuusssst resist… nnngggghhh… muuuuuuuusssssttt resist… (snap!)

You’re forgiven. I understand. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Thought it was meant to be pie-say.

[quote=“LPeterC”][quote=“housecat”][quote=“Chris”]Must resist… muuuuusssst resist… nnngggghhh… muuuuuuuusssssttt resist… (snap!)

You’re forgiven. I understand. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Thought it was meant to be pie-say.[/quote]
:slight_smile: That, too.