MBP Battery Replacement in Taipei

Where can I go to get a 2009 MacBookPro battery replaced in Taipei?

When I asked around, most shops say the unit needs to be shipped to China for an official battery change from Apple.

If I don’t care about the warranty (or using a third-party battery as long as it’s reliable/of good quality), where can I buy a replacement?

Best if they can replace the battery for me, but if not, I can do it myself, but I can’t do without this work computer for more than a day. Any suggestions?

• Ken

Hmm… …I think I’ll check out this shop today:

mr-apple.com.tw/location-en.html

Hopefully, it won’t cost much more than NT4000…

So the battery is internal and not user changeable?

F%#k, Apple really know how to take the piss!
And 4 large for an effing battery if you lucky?

You think thats taking the piss? I have a Macbook pro that can’t update to the latest OS, because it was manufactured too long ago. All the way back in 2007. Think about that, that’s the manufacturing date, probably people were buying these models into 2008.

OK, they ended up wanting NT3k for the battery, which was reasonable (apple.com shows US129 = NT3756). I confirmed with them that it was an Apple-branded battery.

I asked about a memory upgrade from 4GB to 8GB (2x4GB), and they wanted NT2.5k for that (that’s high: amazon.com shows US38 = NT1106), so I hesitated. The repairman said if I did both today, they would charge me NT5k. I expected NT6-7k before I walked in the door, so I accepted his offer.

I was out the door with the fix in 15minutes. There’s a 90 day warranty on the fix.

BTW, in the 15 min that I was there, there were three other people waiting for repairs - all iPhones.

I do recommend this place (it’s on a corner with a sign that says Mr. Apple - you can find it on Google Maps) for anyone who needs their Apple-related products fixed in Taipei. It not cheap, but not unreasonably expensive, for Apple-stuff…

• Ken

I have always thought Apple was more hype than substance. Looks like they really are. :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:

My mbp stopped charging today - the charger’s light no longer went on, so I suspected the problem was the charger and not the battery.

I brought both in the mbp and the charger into Mr. Apple today, and they confirmed that the problem was the charger (when using their charger, there was no problem at all). I was in and out of the shop in 5 minutes with a new Apple MagSafe II charger and NT1300 (USD44.83) lighter, which is fantastic when you compare against the Apple Sites (US is $79, TW is NT2,490).

While there, I asked him about a Kingston 256GB SSD upgrade for an 2009 27" iMac. He said they currently remove the DVD and replace with the new SSD. I asked them if they were still able to install OSX on the SSD and they said yes. The price is NT8,400, which is not cheap, but not that unreasonable - it’s definitely low enough that I would trust them to do it rather than attempt to install one myself. However, I’ll wait about a year for SSD capacities to increase/prices to drop some more.

At that time, I will also ask them to move the DVD drive from the iMac into the mbp (the DVD drive died after I dropped the mbp from waist height about a month ago - btw, I replaced the HHD with a new SSD in that unit - wow! what an upgrade in speed - the speed increase is good enough for me to delay a new laptop upgrade for another year or two).

About a week ago, my mbp started to do random reboots. After a week, I noticed that it would only happen when I was running off the battery.

So I brought it in to Mr. Apple to have a look. For the first time, it wouldn’t even start with the power plugged in!

He brought it into the backroom, did some magic (I suspect at least a SMC reset), and brought it back out. The mbp started up just fine, but in Coconut battery, the age of the Mac was some nonsense number (which is why I thought he did an SMC reset), but otherwise, it seemed ok. He did a shutdown and told me that if anything weird happens again, like the clock being reset or random reboots, to bring it back it for a battery change.

I was in and out in 10 minutes. There was one other customer in there with a MacBook.

I’m running now off the battery (so far, so good) - I also noticed that the PRAM re-righted itself and correctly shows the age of the mbp to be 41 months. One other thing I noticed: the side with the SSD feels like it is running noticeably cooler: it’s slightly cold to the touch (smcFanControl also shows lower temps). So one possibility was that a SMC reset was needed after the SSD install that I did one+ month back (having nothing to do with the battery!).

I’ll report back later if the mbp gets unstable…

Sorry, the website link is broken. So any information about the place ? thanks

2024 still going str%^$••>>ERR

1 Like