Meanwhile in Hong Kong

Nightmare. What a sad story for HK.

2 Likes

Outrageous. Handed over by one empire to another, which then treats it as another impure addition to smash into submission.

Anyone who thinks Taiwan would be treated differently under Chinese rule is a fool.

Guy

5 Likes

It would be MUCH worse for Taiwan because Taiwan would be harder to control so they would go nuts killing and disappearing people if they needed to from their perspective .

2 Likes

In Taiwan domestic workers would not be treated like that. Right? RIGHT!?

4 Likes

Brutal.

2 Likes

This latest awful episode recalls similar discrimination across the border in Guangdong, in case we have forgotten:

Guy

1 Like
2 Likes

Come one come all.

1 Like

I wonder whether she will reclaim the UK Citizenship that she gave up.

Good riddance.

Not that the next hand-selected Beijing puppet promises to be better . . .

Guy

1 Like

She might have some money problems if she departs though - she was one of the ones that the USA slapped financial sanctions on - meaning she cant go transferring money via SWIFT - I think at the time she was on record as saying that she was keeping a ‘pile of cash’ at home so as to keep it out of reach of the USA.

But yes, Good riddance to her.

1 Like

Obviously they won’t come to Taiwan if the reason for leaving is hotel quarantine. For reasons discussed on other threads it seems Taiwan might end up squandering the opportunity to inherit Hong Kong’s international businesses…

1 Like

I wouldn’t say good riddance so fast. She’s a puppet and you can be sure the next one will likely be way worse and probably from Beijing

1 Like

Singapore was actually my guess yesterday, but I wasn’t sure so didn’t say it. Then, I saw this:

Sadly, Taiwan never had the opportunity to inherit this in the first place.

The reason Taiwan won’t get international business has nothing to do with quarantine.

It’s the lack of international business infrastructure, the very uninternational banking system, excessive financial and capital controls, relatively poor English skills, excessive bureaucracy, slowness and complexity of company registrations, out of date/“local” management styles, low wages (and high tax compared to Singapore and HK), conservative civil service, out of date laws, difficulty getting work permits/residence, general inertia to change or improve processes, etc etc.

It’s been like this for many, many years, and unfortunately not much has really changed despite governments over the years have previously proposed Taiwan becoming an international finance centre, an international biomedical centre, an international IT centre etc etc :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Taiwan is a regional IT center, the most important one.

Finance is a zero sum industry and the margins for biomedical are lower than in IT.

They had rhe opportunity to make an effort the past few years when this was clearly in the pipeline, bilingualism 2030 is a step in the right direction, but not nearly enough. There’s no effort to lead the country in that direction, and it seems the conservative and slow moving mindset that you mention wins out

But there was an opportunity, for the past few years, to make an effort. Clearly, we’re not seeing much

I don’t think so. The culture here is far too different. Singapore’s financial prowress is built on the back of its british style banking system. It translates easily.

1 Like

They couldnt even try? Really?

Never underestimate the human ability to resist cultural change.

When you’re used to the way things are, it is really hard to see outside the box you grew up in.

A lot of countries have things that would benefit other countries if implemented. Think about the political capital you’d have to spend to improve personal transport to Dutch standards in Canada. Imagine having to narrow all those stroads and then deal with angry drivers, despite you actually improving their average speeds.

Remember. Someone actually wrote this thinking it was a good idea:

And then someone had to publish it.

2 Likes