Media Blackout on Paris Hilton

Should the media ignore overhyped people or situations?

• Yes
  • No
  • leave it up to the editors to decide

0 voters

Paris Hilton Blackout

[quote]NEW YORK Not huge news, even by celebrity-gossip standards. Here at The Associated Press, we put out an initial item of some 300 words. But it actually meant more to us than that.

It meant the end of our experimental blackout on news about Paris Hilton.

It was only meant to be a weeklong ban – not the boldest of journalistic initiatives, and one, we realized, that might seem hypocritical once it ended. And it wasn’t based on a view of what the public should be focusing on – the war in Iraq, for example, or the upcoming election of the next leader of the free world, as opposed to the doings of a partygoing celebrity heiress/reality TV star most famous for a grainy sex video.

No, editors just wanted to see what would happen if we didn’t cover this media phenomenon, this creature of the Internet gossip age, for a full week. After that, we’d take it day by day. Would anyone care? Would anyone notice? And would that tell us something interesting?

It turned out that people noticed plenty – but not in the way that might have been expected. None of the tens of thousands of media outlets that depend on AP called in asking for a Paris Hilton story. No one felt a newsworthy event had been ignored. (To be fair, nothing too out-of-the-ordinary happened in the Hilton universe.)[/quote]

Who?

Most people make their own choices about they read. I don’t tend to read celebrity news/magazines so I had no idea who Paris Hilton was until sometime last year so I don’t understand the over-hyped part. If you read celebrity news you’re buying into over-hype anyway.

I would certainly not lose a single night’s sleep if I never, EVER hear anything about Paris Hilton again. :wink:

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]Who?

Most people make their own choices about they read. I don’t tend to read celebrity news/magazines so I had no idea who Paris Hilton was until sometime last year so I don’t understand the over-hyped part. If you read celebrity news you’re buying into over-hype anyway.[/quote]

true. I didn’t post this because I care about Paris Hilton. Actually I didn’t even notice until they said something but in the article they mentioned something about a blackout on North Korea. I guess this was a light version of an actual blackout the media may try some day.

When it comes to celebrities who really gives a hoot, aside from them, if they’re in the media or not. But it does concern me if the media choose not report something that could be of value. Look at what the media did for Rwanda.

As with most supermodels, I wouldn’t fuck her with Hitler’s cock.

Call me strange. I tend to like women that look like real women. Not walking and talking (after a fashion) Barbie dolls. In all honesty, she does about for me sexually as a zygote.

Come on, any girl who allows video of herself having sex on the internet for all to see is ok by me. If they turn off the media tap do you think we would get more or less nudity from her?

cov

This is a hotel we’re talking about, right?

[quote=“almondbiscuit”] CNN spent 15 minutes the other day covering ANNA NICOLE’S FUNERAL.

relevance in a world struck by far more important issues?

so it’s not just entertainment channels submitting to this trend towards trash.
[/quote]

yes it is… CNN is not the serious channel ted turner once started: it has been infected by american cultural imperialism :slight_smile: and has definitely lightened its approach to become more tabloid. maybe that’s what the american ‘business traveller’ wants though.

i’ve been inside the Paris Hilton. i would never go (or come) inside that Paris Hilton. i’ve got higher standards.

( Note: traveller with two l’s on purpose, for irony. see, i am spelling it out now so americans can get it too… :smiley: )

dac

you’ll probably find that the reason that news and entertainment channles are blurring their identities is because that’s what sells the most papers / ad airtime / etc. LCD is still money and ratings.