Medicine waking up that telling people to 'exercise more' and 'eat less' hasn't worked

[quote=“Petrichor”]There’s also, perversely, a lot of denial surrounding their state of mind. For example, my mother has always maintained she eats very little, often no more than one meal a day, and that her weight is due to her genes and sedentary lifestyle. One time after she had been staying with my sister, my sister was clearing out a wardrobe she had used and loads of chocolate bars fell out. It’s clear to most who know her that she’s lying, to herself too of course, in the same way that she maintains her hair has never turned grey, despite the clear presence of hair dye bottles in the bathroom.

I say this not out of mockery or scorn, but to point out that overeating is an addiction for many, and comes with all the attendant addictive behaviors. That’s where treatment should start, imo.[/quote]

I’ve read many controlled studies which show that people unconsciously under-report their eating all the time. It’s very normal. Essentially what happens is they clean up their main meals and track those well, but end up have many many tiny snacks throughout the day which they don’t report, which they don’t consider as calories, because it’s just a little snack that couldn’t possibly make much of a difference at the end of the day. They are not actively, consciously, trying to cheat or not count. “A little piece of chocolate couldn’t possibly make a difference.”

It’s fine, my cholesterol is perfect, and we should be having a blood test at least once a year anyway checking liver, kidney, cholesterol, minerals etc regardless.

1. Cholesterol is not the real enemy. It’s lipoprotein-a that causes arterial plaque, according to Linus Pauling. I still wouldn’t eat too many eggs.

articles.mercola.com/sites/artic … evels.aspx

1. White rice is one of the biggest causes of obesity, diabetes and fatigue IMO.

2. I noticed my weight fell of when I started taking Iodine drops. It’s hard to keep it on now.

Yep since it prevents nutrient absorption significantly. It’s largely a result of eating animals who are not grass fed, we become deficient in vitamin k2 mk7 and calcification occurs especially if our hdl ad ldl are bad and our diet is bad. There will be an epidemic soon of fatal heart attacks in 50 and 60 year olds as the trend of eating non-grass fed animals continues/increases.

That of course means, poor people. Rich people eat high-end shit. If our breakfast is bacon and eggs we want to drop the number of bacon slices and up our portion of eggs.

Your thyroid was struggling, iodine helped it a bunch and so you lost weight. Get on selenium tabs as well they almost go hand-in-hand with iodine.

Right, I figured that out. I think iodine deficiency can make the whole body sluggish. Dr Brownstein and others say that hypothyroidism is much more widespread than is currently believed. I’ve been on Selenium tabs for a few months, they work well with Iodine.

I think calcification is a major cause of disease. I think you can reverse it with MSM, chancapiedra and other simple herbs, if expensive meats are not available. There’s always a workaround if you research enough. I agree that low income families are often in trouble when it comes to diet. I don’t know much about k2 deficiency but I think it might be a problem.

youtube.com/watch?v=R9VEz2Px8QM

The whole egg thing is a long standing healthy industry myth, as with many other things like butter etc. There’s nothing wrong with eggs, they are literally one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Now obviously the same old statement applies, don’t over do it on anything and make sure you’re eating good quality ones. But in my opinion, overdoing it on the eggs would be very hard to do. I think if a person were to eat 5 or 6 eggs every single day, it would still be extremely healthy. And I mean eating the whole thing, not just the whites. Who does this anyway? The egg yoke is the nutritious part, why would a person choose not to eat it? If you want protein, drink a protein shake. If you want nutrition, it the whole egg ! :2cents:

[quote=“HenHaoChi”]1) Cholesterol is not the real enemy. It’s lipoprotein-a that causes arterial plaque, according to Linus Pauling. I still wouldn’t eat too many eggs.

1. White rice is one of the biggest causes of obesity, diabetes and fatigue IMO.

2. I noticed my weight fell of when I started taking Iodine drops. It’s hard to keep it on now.[/quote]

You’re right about cholesterol not being the enemy, but populations with a high starch, low animal protein diet have had much lower rates of obesity and diabetes

[quote=“triceratopses”][quote=“Petrichor”]There’s also, perversely, a lot of denial surrounding their state of mind. For example, my mother has always maintained she eats very little, often no more than one meal a day, and that her weight is due to her genes and sedentary lifestyle. One time after she had been staying with my sister, my sister was clearing out a wardrobe she had used and loads of chocolate bars fell out. It’s clear to most who know her that she’s lying, to herself too of course, in the same way that she maintains her hair has never turned grey, despite the clear presence of hair dye bottles in the bathroom.

I say this not out of mockery or scorn, but to point out that overeating is an addiction for many, and comes with all the attendant addictive behaviors. That’s where treatment should start, imo.[/quote]

I’ve read many controlled studies which show that people unconsciously under-report their eating all the time. It’s very normal. Essentially what happens is they clean up their main meals and track those well, but end up have many many tiny snacks throughout the day which they don’t report, which they don’t consider as calories, because it’s just a little snack that couldn’t possibly make much of a difference at the end of the day. They are not actively, consciously, trying to cheat or not count. “A little piece of chocolate couldn’t possibly make a difference.”

[/quote]

Yes, I saw a few episodes of a programme called Secret Eaters, where they tracked what people reported eating against what they were actually eating. Some were genuinely overconsuming without realising it, such as a woman who drank multiple cups of sweet tea a day and a man who didn’t count the several pints of beer he drank as calories. Others were quite deceiving towards themselves and those close to them. Often, overeating is more apparent to others than ourselves. I want to make it clear I’m talking about excessive overeating that causes serious health issues, not weight that yoyos by several pounds, which I think is true of most people.

[quote=“HenHaoChi”]1) Cholesterol is not the real enemy. It’s lipoprotein-a that causes arterial plaque, according to Linus Pauling. I still wouldn’t eat too many eggs.

2. I noticed my weight fell of when I started taking Iodine drops. It’s hard to keep it on now.[/quote]

Mercola is a terrible website, full of pseudoscientific misinformation. I would not rely on it for health advice. Poor Linus Pauling’s later theories were thoroughly discredited.

Well, he nonetheless was awarded two Nobel Prizes.

But yes, he was stupid.

[quote]
Mercola is a terrible website, full of pseudoscientific misinformation.[/quote]

Name-calling.

Hiding behind the passive.

Two crappy debating tactics in one line. Well done! Bro-scientist of the week.

[quote]Well, he nonetheless was awarded two Nobel Prizes.

But yes, he was stupid.[/quote]

Sure. Compared to a guy who gets his info from documentaries:

…and hearsay from people he knows;

…who’s going to listen to a pathetic twice-Nobel prize winner? I mean, Pauling only lived til 93, right?

Anyway, I better log-out and do something productive, I’ve got no chance against these intellectual heavyweights.

[quote=“urodacus”]Well, he nonetheless was awarded two Nobel Prizes.

Any simple search shows, as I said, his later work was discredited. No need to put words in my mouth to make a false argument.

[quote=“HenHaoChi”][quote]
Mercola is a terrible website, full of pseudoscientific misinformation.[/quote]

Name-calling.

Hiding behind the passive.

Two crappy debating tactics in one line. Well done! Bro-scientist of the week.[/quote]

Well, I wasn’t aware I was ‘debating’ anything. If you choose to believe the articles on Mercola that’s up to you, but if your health is important to you, I would suggest looking at peer-reviewed studies published in respected journals.

[quote=“Petrichor”]
Well, I wasn’t aware I was ‘debating’ anything. If you choose to believe the articles on Mercola that’s up to you, but if your health is important to you, I would suggest looking at peer-reviewed studies published in respected journals.[/quote]

Of course. Everyone knows the gubmint and their pals in the corporations have our best interests at heart. Thanks for the advice!

• BTW: Mercola tends to rigourously footnote his articles, this article on Cholesterol:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/02/25/new-dietary-guidelines-fat-cholesterol.aspx

Has 14 footnotes/sources, many of them from mainstream sources.

1 Health.gov, 2015 DGAC December 15, 2014 (PDF)
2 Health.gov, Dietary Guidelines 2015
3 Washington Post February 10, 2015
4 Forbes February 10, 2015
5 USA Today February 12, 2015
6 7 Open Heart 2015;2: doi:10.1136/openhrt-2014-000229
8 Time Magazine February 9, 2015
9 Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics March 15, 2010
10 12 Scientific American February 9, 2015
11 American Liver Foundation
13 Care2.com December 29, 2014
14 BMJ 2010;340:c2451

PROTIP, Petrichor: Always know the basic facts, and never enter a battle of wits unarmed.

:thumbsup:

One reason is that egg whites provide a very high feeling of fullness in proportion to their calories, much more than a protein shake in my opinion. Eating a bunch of egg whites makes it extremely easy to eat at a caloric deficit without being tortured with hunger pangs. Even if I’m not trying to eat at a deficit, eating them alongside sweets or junk food is a really good way too throttle your food intake so that you can reward yourself with the foods you like, but still not go beyond your caloric budget.

Another is availability, tea eggs are available at any convenience store in Taiwan.

[quote=“HenHaoChi”][quote=“Petrichor”]
Well, I wasn’t aware I was ‘debating’ anything. If you choose to believe the articles on Mercola that’s up to you, but if your health is important to you, I would suggest looking at peer-reviewed studies published in respected journals.[/quote]

Of course. Everyone knows the gubmint and their pals in the corporations have our best interests at heart. Thanks for the advice!

• BTW: Mercola tends to rigourously footnote his articles, this article on Cholesterol:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/02/25/new-dietary-guidelines-fat-cholesterol.aspx

Has 14 footnotes/sources, many of them from mainstream sources.

1 Health.gov, 2015 DGAC December 15, 2014 (PDF)
2 Health.gov, Dietary Guidelines 2015
3 Washington Post February 10, 2015
4 Forbes February 10, 2015
5 USA Today February 12, 2015
6 7 Open Heart 2015;2: doi:10.1136/openhrt-2014-000229
8 Time Magazine February 9, 2015
9 Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics March 15, 2010
10 12 Scientific American February 9, 2015
11 American Liver Foundation
13 Care2.com December 29, 2014
14 BMJ 2010;340:c2451

PROTIP, Petrichor: Always know the basic facts, and never enter a battle of wits unarmed.

:thumbsup:[/quote]

There’s no need to resort to strawmen and ad hominem arguments. I’m sure we can all be grownups around here. :slight_smile:

You seem to be confusing me with someone who wants to debate the merits of a site that profits from selling alternative health products and advocates not vaccinating kids. I have more interesting and productive things to do with my time. If you choose to believe the babble on Mercola, that’s up to you. While I’m sure you’re a lovely person, your health isn’t a personal concern of mine.

[quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“urodacus”]Well, he nonetheless was awarded two Nobel Prizes.

Any simple search shows, as I said, his later work was discredited. No need to put words in my mouth to make a false argument.[/quote]

Well, you guys sure don’t have your sarcasm detector running at the moment, do you.

Another person who won a Nobel prize and whose later work was discredited was James Watson. His work on the structure of DNA still stands, nonetheless, notwithstanding the fact that Rosalind Franklin (whose original insight was the repeating helical backbone of DNA with bases on the outside) was overlooked for the prize. At least Watson had the good grace alter to agree that she should have been awarded the prize as well, or instead of Wilkins.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11261872/James-Watson-selling-Nobel-prize-because-no-one-wants-to-admit-I-exist.html

Medicine has also woken up to vitamin C.

Quack!

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“urodacus”]Well, he nonetheless was awarded two Nobel Prizes.

Any simple search shows, as I said, his later work was discredited. No need to put words in my mouth to make a false argument.[/quote]

Well, you guys sure don’t have your sarcasm detector running at the moment, do you.

Another person who won a Nobel prize and whose later work was discredited was James Watson. His work on the structure of DNA still stands, nonetheless, notwithstanding the fact that Rosalind Franklin (whose original insight was the repeating helical backbone of DNA with bases on the outside) was overlooked for the prize. At least Watson had the good grace alter to agree that she should have been awarded the prize as well, or instead of Wilkins.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11261872/James-Watson-selling-Nobel-prize-because-no-one-wants-to-admit-I-exist.html[/quote]

I thought you were being sarcastic. So my sarcasm detector was running too high. :sunglasses:

I was mostly saying exactly what you said here:

[quote]The simple fact is that people aren’t typically able to eat like Brent does. If they could then they would be significantly less likely to have a weight problem.
[/quote]

ie., his method is impractical for most people - or, more specifically, there are easier ways to ensure calorie balance than trying to calculate what’s in your food.

Also this:

Which Brent disagrees with.

Yes. I think he misunderstood my original comment about the food pyramid. I was pointing out that this was generated by the USDA, whose principle objective is to sell more agricultural produce, not to keep people healthy.

I wasn’t asserting this. I was simply saying that you’ve destroyed the integrity of the cells that would (normally) have prevented rapid sugar absorption when you eat/drink it. Of course the sugar is still there regardless. But it’s “packaged” differently, and that matters. Food researchers always reduce everything to carbs/fat/protein, but that isn’t what people eat. We eat Food. The physical structure (and the ‘inert’ components like fibre and water) is important. Eating a tablespoonful of pure starch every day wouldn’t be very good for you. Eating a slice of wholewheat toast, not so much. If you want a physical/chemical comparison, try mixing some sodium nitrate and crushed charcoal, and set fire to it. Now grind it all to a fine powder, and try the same thing.