Merida Frame Size Issue/Troubles

Hi all, I’ve a got a question regarding the correct frame size for a Merida Scultura bike.

So, according to my measurements following the formula of “inseam*0.635=frame height” I am about a 56. That’s what some bike shops have also told me.

Then, I check on the Merida TW website - and went to a Merida store in Neihu - according to my hight they suggest their S/M (52) frame size for heights of 177-182. According to the TW website frame size 56 if for heights of 189-195.

Merida Australia and the international website of Merida both suggest their frame size to be the M/L (54cm) for 173-182cm of height.

So what’s it going to be? It is really annoying. I don’t want to be duped by the sales guy (as obviously the 52 is the last available one) into buying that just because of that reason. Should I stick with 56 or the M/L (54)…or…just forget Merida…

Maybe someone can shed some light on this issue.

Many thanks and cheers! Happy riding!

Give this size calculator a try. I used it for my last bike.https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp#measures

And make sure that Merida fits you. I nerded out on checking the geometry of a lot of bikes before making the jump. Don’t just buy because of pretty or price.

Thanks for that. Will check that out.

Already checked their geometry :wink: So, kinda nerdy as well. For those there’s no difference between their TW and int’l information which would warrant the different size recommendations. Will give them a try and see.

Cheers.

What is your height?

My 2cents: If you are 182 or 183cm then you might be a Merida 56, which looks to be a 57.5 effective top tube.

If you are 177cm then either a small(54.5toptube) or medium(56tt) might work depending on your proportions and preferences. test riding to compare would be best.

Top tube isn’t the end all be all but I know that for me, at 177cm, I like a 55cm length if I am riding drops. And over the years my preference has gone from a slightly big bike to a slightly small one.

1 Like

Exactly

178/177cm

Thanks guys for all the input. Appreciate it a lot!

Have been brooding on geometrics, measurements etc. Now will see how it translates to the actual bike fit. Will definitely test ride it before. So much hassle for a commute bike…but even that needs to fit properly.

Cheers.

Assuming normal proprtions in body dimensions, I would say the Med frame would be a good starting point. The fit can then be adjusted for handlebar height and reach using spacers and stem. Get the saddle height and setback dialed in, then work from there.

Good luck getting them to let you even sit on it let alone test ride it. Please report back if they do actually let you.

Thanks a lot! Will see how that goes.

Already figured that’s not easy here. Oh well…if not, then not. Not my loss. Will keep you updated on that.

1 Like

Neihu Merida is the shop I frequent most and they don’t think twice if people ask to test ride it. Of course, the in-store loop isn’t that big, so you aren’t allowed out of the store, but it’s better than nothing.

1 Like

@TigerTPE

I think your question about fit has already been answered, but definitely go by whatever you feel is right.

I ride both a 49.5 and a 52, but a lot of geometry graphs, according to my height, say I’m supposed to ride a 54.

My co-worker is 180 tall and shop suggested she ride a 56. She eventually got a free bike from a friend and it was actually a weird size of 53 and it’s actually a bit big for her.

First, thanks to all for their input. I really appreciate it. And now just a quick update:

The Merida shop does let you try…albeit - as previously mentioned by ranlee - only indoors. But no problem there. Still, I didn’t end up buying it from there.

Trying here and there, I finally settled for a Giant TCR 2018 for my daily commute bike. It’s an aluminum ride (same as my other “better” bike - just love alu bikes compared to carbon.) and is doing it’s job perfectly. Surprised by how comfortable it actually is. Oh yeah, frame size is “M”…tried “S” but wasn’t as comfortable as the M size.

That’s it…and again, thanks to all.

Happy & safe riding!

2 Likes