Mexican Food for the Small Kitchen

I stand soundly chastized. Yours is really the way to do it. In defense, I can only say that I was trying to make it as easy as possible. - - - Oh HELL! There is no defense. I plead guilty and throw myself at the mercy of all those with actual taste.
BTW, Dragonbones, that sounds delicious. I’ll give it a try this weekend.

And if you got a hanking for Chimichangas- just heat up some oil and dump your burrito in the oil until fried. Minus the tomatoes and lettus :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

[color=red]Shrimp Veracruz[/color]
is simple to make and delicious. Everything is easy to get here, but for the capers (essential) you might have to go to Breeze or City Super.

Ingredients:
1 lb fresh shrimp
1 Tbsp oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 tomatoes, peeled, chopped
A good splash of your choice of hot sauce (optional)
1-1/2 tsp capers
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 large green pepper, cut into strips
2 Tbsp oil
2-3 Tbsp lime juice
1/3 cup minced cilantro

Directions:
Peel shrimp, slit backs and remove veins. Refrigerate. Saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil and cook until tender, but not browned. Add tomatoes, hot sauce if using, capers, bay leaf, sugar and salt.
Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add green peppers and cook 5 minutes longer. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in another skillet.
Add cleaned shrimp. Cook over medium heat until pink. Sprinkle lime juice over shrimp. Add the sauce and heat 3-4 minutes longer. Top with cilantro and serve immediately.

It’s good with just rice. Spike it with a bit of saffron for added colour if you like.

This is a perfect dish to accompany the beans above, with nachos and beer on the side. You can make the same thing and not fry it, then it’s just a taco.

Easy Spicy Shredded Chicken (or Beef) Tacos (or Flautas)

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound canned chicken (Costco), or
fresh chicken breast, or lean beef chuck or other beef, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt

Huevos Mexicanos

serves four

Ingredients:

EGGS:
4 eggs
optional: additional half onion, chopped potato.
salt & pepper to taste

SALSA: use ready-made, or make your own as here
4 peeled tomatoes; or canned Italian tomatoes, drained
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic
serrano or other chilli pepper; or hot sauce
1 tbsp oil

Other:
corn tortillas
1/2 cup Mexican cheese of your choice
chopped cilantro (coriander)

Turn on oven; insert ceramic plate. Wet and begin heating tortillas on dry nonstick griddle. Place on ceramic plate in oven as each is done, to keep them warm.

Liquify tomatoes, onion, garlic & pepper in blender. Fry in oil and season. Set aside as salsa. An even simpler version, if your eggs are scrambled, is just to toss all that in with the eggs and scramble it together, making a very easy one-pan meal, especially if using pre-made salsa like the stuff in big jugs from Costco. You can even just cut the tortillas into nacho-sized triangles and toss into the scrambled eggs and cook together.

Cook eggs in your own preferred style. Optionally scramble with onion and potato, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve salsa and egg side by side on each plate. Sprinkle with cilantro and cheese. Serve with tortillas, which should be covered with a towel to keep them nice & hot.

We used to do this thing in the restaurant for lunchtime but I can’t remember what it was called.
In a deep-sided flat-bottomed dish, put a layer of tortilla chips, homemade of course. Cover with a layer of shredded chicken, salsa, sour cream, grated cheese. Break a couple of eggs over it. Put in another layer of chips, more salsa, sour cream and scatter more cheese over the top. Stick it under the grill or in the oven until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve with a dollop of guac and sour cream and FUCK the cholestorol!

I’d call it a “delicious mess”. :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s that in Spanish? It really is delicious. Hangover cure par excellence!

That’s why you use butter & cream. Melt the butter gently, stir in the cream and add grated cheese until the desired thickness is reached. Simple and good.[/quote]

that does not have enough preservatives and artifical flavorings.

What’s that in Spanish? It really is delicious. Hangover cure par excellence![/quote]

I’d probably call it a “Mexican casserole”, or layered tortilla bake, or something like that. My dictionary says un guizo o ona cazuela for casserole, so try “Guizo Mexicano” or “Cazuela Mexicana”. Never heard of that, personally. :stuck_out_tongue:

First, thanks to all for these recipes, they sound great. :bravo:

Dragonbones I particularly liked the sound of your Easy Spicy Shredded Chicken (or Beef) Tacos (or Flautas). A question:

Dragonbones wrote:

[quote]INGREDIENTS:

1 pound canned chicken (Costco), or
fresh chicken breast,

My opinion: The canned chicken breast is really good but I make cheese sauce with plastic cheese so . . . .

There are days that we all just don’t have the time or inclination to cook a chicken and fool around with shredding the brest and all that. The canned stuff come in really handy. I think it’s a good to have some in the cupboard. No remorse here.

5 minute chicken salad sandwiches, casseroles and the like.

I keep cans of chicken, tuna and salmon on the shelf for those rainy, cold days when you discover you don’t have any suitable meat in the fridge and want something quick and convenient. The quality of all three, from Costco, is just fine, and the price reasonable. They are also good for making cold salads, sandwiches or pasta salads in the summer when you don’t want to heat the kitchen up by cooking. Plus, they are all ready to flake, whereas it’s a bit of a pain to cook and shred chicken, so they’re ideal for mashed or flaked dishes, souffles, and *-salad sandwiches.

The shredded chicken taco recipe above was good; we ate the filling in soft tacos one day, in fried flautas the next, and I tossed half of the remainder into a pot along with a cube each of mushroom and chicken bouillon, with hot water, and some noodles, and made a delicious Mexican soup. On the side I fried some fresh corn tortillas, broke 'em up and salted them to make fresh tortilla chips to go with the soup. It was so good, we decided to have it again today, so we ate variations on the same dish four days in a row without getting sick of it! Heck, I could have put it between whole bread with lettuce, tomato and onion and made a good sandwich, too.

Oh, and I made flan to accompany it. Flan is easy. Here’s the recipe:

Flan

Requires: custard cups, although you could make it in any small bowls, teacups, a pie pan or bundt pan or muffin pan in a pinch

Ingredients

• 3 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sugar divided
  • 5 large eggs

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Put

Enigma wrote:

[quote]My opinion: The canned chicken breast is really good

I just remember a dish I have made plenty of times and it is great, well at least to moi :blush: :smiley:

[color=darkred]Fiesta Taco Skillet[/color]

1 pound ground beef
1 (11-ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained(plain corn will do fine)
2/3 cup water
1 (1.25-ounce) packet Taco Seasoning Mix or 2.5 tbps
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup Albers Yellow Corn Meal, or Albers White Corn Meal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup NESTL

[quote=“Interlocutor”]I didn

“For the corn bread topping I use Jiffy boxed cornbread. I don’t remember if you can find it here.”

If anybody finds the “Jiffy” brand cornbread, please post. Actually, I would be happy with just plain old course ground meal. All I can find is powder so fine that it just won’t do. Oh I miss corn bread made with bacon grease. Don’t laugh. It’s damn good and hell, you arn’t going to live forever anyway. Besides those last 2 years suck.

[quote=“Enigma”]“For the corn bread topping I use Jiffy boxed cornbread. I don’t remember if you can find it here.”

If anybody finds the “Jiffy” brand cornbread, please post. [/quote]

I’m pretty sure I saw it at Wellman’s in Tian Mu when I was there. But sometimes what’s there on one trip won’t be there on another.

I second that. BTW, does anyone know where to buy maseca in Taipei? (Ground corn flour for making your own tortillas). I don’t mean coarse cornmeal or corn starch. Tks!

EDIT: Florida Bakery says they carry it. And fresh corn tortillas if you call in advance.

Taste is subjective. If you like it, then its good. Who cares what anyone else thinks?