Mexican Food for the Small Kitchen

Dont know what this is called but I used to make it often and used it as a vegetable side dish. It’s quick cheap and tasty - not exactly vegetarian but you could always omit the cheese.

Start 6 slices of bread toasting (crispy) while you prepare the other stuff.
Two ears of corn roasted (I use a can of corn here and brown it in a skillet with garlic and some diced red peppers.
Add a handful of cilantro to the corn.

Dump two cans of chopped tomatoes with the juice into a bowl. Add the fried corn.
Break the bread into bite size pieces and add it to the bowl. Mix.
Put into a baking dish and top with some shredded cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted.
Ready to eat.

Quesedilla

Put a tortilla on a microwavable plate. Fold it in half, and put some cheese inside. Then microwave until the cheese is melted.

Just for anyone who doesn’t know how already-- if you do that on a griddle or frying pan, it’s almost as easy, but helps bring out a nice toasted flavor in the tortilla itself; just heat tortilla on one side until ever so slightly browning, then flip, add cheese, and fold; continue heating and flip once.

It should also help if you use a nice Mexican cheese. I used to eat quesadillas as a kid in Mexico, but I didn’t cook them (being a kid), so I’m not sure what cheeses were used. Reading on a couple websites, I see folks recommending Oaxaca cheese aka quesillo, jalape

Hey Enigma, can you post your recipe for salsa or “pico de gallo?”

It changes depending on what I have or can get at the veggy market that looks good.
You’ll need a blender or a tireless cutting arm.
One bottle of Shiraz wine.
Fresh vegetables all well washed.
6-8 RED RIPE tomatoes - I like the plum tomatoes best when I can find them. If you get these, cut them in half around the middle. You’ll find 3 seed compartments in each half. Just stick your thumb in each compartment to remove the seeds. If you use regular tomatoes just cut into pieces without removing the seeds.
Have a glass of wine.
A finely chopped yellow onion. Don’t dump in the whole thing as it might be too much.
Trim a head of celery without removing the leaves at the top of the stalks. I usually just cut off about the top 3 inches of the head. Try to remove as many of the stringy things from the outside of the 3 inch stalks. Chop all well.
Tops of some green onions. Probably about 1 cup.
Have a glass of wine.
Juice of 1 medium size lime
1 green sweet pepper. Cut in half and seeds removed. Put on your oven rack and then onto the gas stove burner. Char the hell out of it Chop finely.
1-2 jalepeno peppers chopped finely with the seeds. Hold these back to add later to taste.
I also add some asian chili suace. I have used several different brands and each adds a different flavor so just buy a jar and give it a try. I guess I prefer the stuff I get in the night markets on the table for dipping but. . . experiment.
I also like to add some tobasco to taste.
Now chop all the vegetables. If you use the blender, use the on off button to chop - not juice. Put it all into a bowl with the lime juice and start adding onions, green and yellow, until . . I dont know … . it looks right. Then add the hot stuff until it tastes right for you. If it tastes bitter to you, just add a sprinkle of white sugar. Now add salt and course ground black pepper to round out the taste.
I usually hold some tomatoes back in reserve so I can add some more if I get too much onion in the mix - which seems to happen too frequently.
Finish the wine.
Easy method - Go to costco and just buy a big jug and alter it.

OOPS - Edit here - I forgot the handful of chopped cilantro. Too much wine.

:laughing: I like the use of the wine.

HG

CHICKEN or BEEF ENCHILADAS

Preparation time: 30 min.
Cooking time: 25 min.
Ideal condiments: refried beans, guacamole, salsa

Ingredients

[quote=“Enigma”]“For the corn bread topping I use Jiffy boxed cornbread. I don’t remember if you can find it here.”

If anybody finds the “Jiffy” brand cornbread, please post. [/quote]

I was at City Super yesterday, in the basement of the Far Eastern Plaza on Dunhua S. Road, and I spotted the Jiffy mix.

In response to an earlier request for Chicken Mole. Should be able buy most of this at Welcome:

4 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp sunflower kernels
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp aniseeds
1 cup blanched slivered almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/3 cup chili powder
1 cup canned Italian tomatoes, drained, seeded, and chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 tortilla, torn into small pieces
3 cups chicken stock
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, grated
4 whole chicken breasts, split
4 chicken thighs
4 chicken drumsticks
Garnish: chopped fresh coriander Instructions:

Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil over moderate heat in a pan and in it cook the sunflower kernels, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, aniseeds, and almonds, stirring constantly until the sesame seeds and almonds are golden, 2 or 3 minutes. Pur