Mexican Food

Does anyone know if the La Casita Mexican Food restaurant off of Ba-de Lu (ba-de lu sec 3, lane 74, #56) is still there?

meow

Is this the same La Casita as the one operated in a couple of different locations over the last ten years?

Owner’s name Amy something?

If so, then check the papers. She left Taiwan several years ago and closed up shop, but she recently came back and has opened a new Mexican which is being advertised in the local toilet papers.

She’s probably the best in town for faux-Mexican (at least, she used to be).

However, you’ll be sorely disappointed if you go expecting to have real Mexican cuisine.

I am not sure if it is the one that has opened in different locations, nor do I know the owner’s name. The last time I went there was a good 5 years ago. I liked the place because they can make any dishes into a vegetarian dish.
The Chinese paper had an article on the restaurant back in October of 2000. So it was still off of Ba-de Lu then.

meow

Has anyone heard of the Mexican restaurant in Hulien? It is supposed to be great.

Anyone know of any good Mexican places there?
If so, what’s your favorite?

I’ve been to Amigo a couple of times and thought “mmmm quite tasty indeed.” Whereas I’ve been to a few others and thought “peew never again” There’s a review on the place here
www.thatnega.com/english

Though the website just started and they forgot to put the address up. anyway it is on Fuhsing b[/b] just a little ways north of Nanjing on the west side

At Amigo’s you can for sure find a great feed

Amigo’s is really the best i know too. I’ve been about Mexico some and lived in Texas most of my life. Nobody is serving real Mexican in Taiwan but a few are trying for degrees of Tex-Mex.

Tequila Sunrise seemed really good to me one day when i drank a whole pitcher of Margaritas there but usually doesn’t do that much for me. A fajita plate-to-fajita plate comparison, taking fajitas and enchiladas as Tex-Mex staples, keeps Tequila Sunrise from threatening Amigo’s.

There’s also that Santa Fe Cafe place in the alleys behind ShiDa’s Mandarin Training Center. This place seemed a bit sketchy to me, but i only ever gave it half a try really. It was expensive and seemed a bit half-ass, anybody got better analysis of this one?

Amigo does good work. They’re guacamole seems to have come from a powder or a can, and they’re not doing any work with real corn tortillas back in the kitchen and they don’t serve real Mexican delectables like that stewed cow face stuff or anything. also, they’re Spanish rice is lackluster. the important difference though is that everything is passable. all in all, considering the culinary and geographic remoteness of Taiwan relative to Mexico they are kicking some ass at Amigo’s. I ate at a wedding reception there once where the cook prepared almost the whole menu for us. lovely is all i can say.

anybody know any other places in Taipei?

a friend of mine talked loud about a good one down in Hualian run by some drunk. anybody ever get a chance to eat there?

G’Day cafe has mexifood.

Sort of.

Barbara makes a decent chimichanga. Well, decent by diner standards. G’Day cafe rules anyway.

I once sat right next to the two blokes from Power Station there. They were with their manager enjoying Barbara’s famous brownies. Just me and my co-worker. We were the only ones in there.

There’s a freaking huge mexican restaurant in Hsinchu - on Dong Da road. Never tried it though.

The American guy, Jonathan who started Santa Fe Cafe hasn’t been associated with the place for a couple of years. I don’t think the food was ever great, but it’s certainly not even what it used to be. They seem to be getting by on a good location, and the fact that the ShiTa crowd turns over fast enough to really know better.

There’s C&C Taco on the far side of CKS Memorial Hall, to the left of all those bridal shops. They had burritos and tacos that weren’t real authentic, but probably give Taco Bell a run for their money… they also sell salsa there…

That Taco place on Aiguo Xi Lu (beside CKS Hall) is awful. Cheap Mex fast food. Really bad if you want a meal, but passable if you want a cheap fast food snack.

Bri

Sorry Gao Xian, but if my experience is any indication you’ll be in for a disappointment. If you’ve grown up with Mexican food or Tex-Mex you won’t really be satisfied with what’s served here.

They never use the correct spices, they always get the proportions wrong, and they treat the extra flavorings (salsa, avocado and guacamole) like it’s made of gold–served in incredibly tiny cups).

As for Tequila Sunrise, their service stinks.

Good Mexican - some tiny place down a back alley opposite the baseball stadium in Tianmu (Tianmu W/E Rd?). I saw a write up one day in the local rag and happened to passing the joint. Local woman knocked out some first class pro-amateur enthusiast with passable guacamole deal. Quite reasonable. Can’t remember name etc.
Certainly a lot better than Good Day cafe; bad vibes/fung shui in there I thought, seems to be problem with eateries in this town. That Myknonos place is popular not because the food is that great - anyone who has tasted even the worst salad or Gyros in Greece will attest to that - but cos they know about atmosphere, which (along with the booze which you feel like drinking cos it’s a relaxing vibe) can make you believe your meal is tastier than it actually is. Maybe

Sante Fe Cafe moved from it’s location behind Shita/MTC on north side of Hoping b[/b]. I used to go there fairly regularly for one dish: Mexican salad which wasn’t really all that Mexican, but was a good fill for pretty cheap. Sometimes, though, the tortilla shell would end up soggy or stale, and i never really found anything else on the menu that i really liked.

Just came back from La Casita who have just settled into their new location and must say that the super burrito is awesome. It comes with fresh guacamole and sour cream and is really quite a meal. Highly recommended!!

Here’s the lowdown for Mexican cuisine in places other than Taipei:

Taichung: Try PJ’s Cafe, Bonita Senorita, Friday’s or Finga’s. My favorite - chicken fajitas at Bonita Senorita (Da Ye Road, No. 25-9)

Chiayi: Calgary Cafe serves up a mean burrito.

Tainan: Check out Willy’s Second Base, or Western. My favorite - chicken fajitas and nachos at Willy’s Second Base. (Jian Kang Road, Section 2, No. 321)

Kaohsiung: Smokey Joe’s or Friday’s. Sorry, I wasn’t impressed with Smokey Joe’s overpriced slop, and Friday’s isn’t much better.

I’ve known the restaurant owner Amy for quite some time now. My wife and I frequent La Casita at least once per week. The Tex-Mex style cuisine is that of back home, and I must say it puts many authentic restaurants in Texas to shame.

Amy serves up freshly made guacamole and salsa that are wonderful! And if you like Hell :smiling_imp: on the hot stuff, well she’s got that freshly made as well.

For information on the location you can email me at tmcanu@k.st

[quote=“Tony”]:lol: Announcing a Mexican restaurant with great taste! Lacasita Mexican Restaurant.

The food is a genuine Tex-Mex style that is so savory that is leaves you coming back for more. The customer service is great and the people who work their and the owners are bylingual, including the menus.

One of my favorite dishes there is the Super Burrito. It spans the diameter of the plate it’s on, and these are not small plates. Other dishes to take note of are their Chimichangas, Enchiladas, Tostadas, and yes they do have regular tacos and such. Their desert dishes are authentic Sopapias and fried bananas.

They also serve drinks that are delightful to the tastebuds.

For information on the address you can send me an email at tmcanu@k.st I will send you the address in both Chinese and English along with a small map to see where it’s located.[/quote]

[quote=“hot_dini”]My boyfriend and I went to La Casita Mexican Restaurant (on Jilin Rd. near Nanjing E. Rd.) tonite and it was wonderful! The salsa was fresh homemade and tasted just like what I had in Mexico. The Margaritas were good too. No mix out of a bottle. The food was extremely good and they served large portions. Service was friendly and quick. And…the check for the 2 of us was under NT1000.
We will go back soon.[/quote]