Mexican ingredients in Taipei

What about cajeta? Is it possible to find that here?

@Nomad4ever maybe she can chime in?

I find it very unlikely - unless itā€™s used in Filipino food? Once in a while Iā€™ll realize a missing Latin American ingredient is also used in Filipino cooking.

I supply fresh jalapeƱo/serrano peppers, orange/red habanero peppers, poblano peppers and green tomatillos. Purple tomatillos didnā€™t grow well so thatā€™s gone, green tomatillos are available from December to March, just sold the last batch a couple weeks ago.
JalapeƱo/serrano/habanero/poblano will be available until May/June-ish, weather permitting.
Also have Ancho, dried from the Poblano once turned red.
I think we also have guajillo, gotta double check with my farmer if you are interested :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I got these on Shoppe, I think also Carrefour. What we really call black beans, not soybeans. Thereā€™s a lot of stores on Shoppe that sell dried nuts, beans, and grain. Theyā€™re easy to confuse with black soybeans because the Chinese names are hard to distinguish and their sometimes mistranslated on packages.

Which Jasonā€™s or Carrefours? Iā€™ve only found it from resellers, but never in a store. Not for a year anyway.

Iā€™ve bought corn flour from the types of sellers I mentioned above. I donā€™t know what qualities it needs to be masa harrina but they have their own grinding machines so they may be able to make to order.

Which is maddening. If I had the money and the gumption Iā€™d start a marketing company.

See above comment. You have to look at the actual bean. Soybeans are more spherical.

It looks like they have 2 kinds of black soybeans.

The Mrs. says itā€™s not. Also, some things have the same names but arenā€™t, like adobo flavoring.

Iā€™m interested. Please give details.

1 Like

Please PM me. Thank you!

1 Like

Iā€™ve purchased dried anchos from @Nomad4ever and they were perfect to use for enchilada sauce.

2 Likes

Ask @mad_masala what he thought of @Nomad4ever 's habaneros :rofl:

2 Likes

xD

I donā€™t know how much of it you guys would use, but I put the contents of the bag you gave me in TWO large rations of rice along with some other stuff (OK, including some Sichuang spicy sausage), and I had to cook it several times adding two yogurts and a lot of water in an attempt o make it edible.

Nowadays I use thin slices of the resulting paste for spicing up food.

Itā€™s evil stuff or I used like 1,000 times the normal quantity.

2 Likes

This is the current progress.

Just the tiniest minced habanero sauteed with shrimp and garlic is so good. Be sure to wear gloves to chop peppers but then theyā€™re ok to eat. :slight_smile:

I tell you itā€™s not safe. Not in this amount even if diluted in lots of riceā€¦

1 Like

1/2 a habanero to 16 shrimp. That should be safe.
https://spicyaddict.com/recipes/habanero-garlic-shrimp/

I use 3 or 4 of my orange habanero peppers to spice up a 12L pot of mole, if no habanero Iā€™d add 6-7 of my serrano peppers instead.
Occasionally I get chocolate habanero, they are spicier than the orange ones!
Thick gloves to protect your hands are a must. I had a Taiwanese customer who sliced 1kg jalapeƱo bare-handed and was rushed to the emergency room in the middle of the night for her burning handsšŸ˜…

6 Likes

This is a great remedy for poison ivy

Did you get in trouble, or did you warn her in advance?

Didnā€™t get in trouble :sweat_smile:

I found these the other day. Are they actual dried black beans?

compared to these which are black soy beans.

1 Like

They are black soybeans unless otherwise specified.

Itā€™s soy bean

My link isnā€™t working, but on their website it says itā€™s soy