Miaoli Eng. tchr: "Pick yr noses, wipe snot on Asperger boy"

A Miaoli teacher got well snotty about an Aspergers (?) boy who had the irritating habit of picking his nose and wiping the output on furniture and classmates. In a desperate measure, she decided to give the lad a taste of his own mucus, instructing the whole class (including his brother) to pick their own noses and smear their snot on the boy.

She and her English husband have escaped to the UK.

tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 2584f.html

Is it the tapwater, or are teachers in Miaoli getting themselves a lot of bad press?

What is a kid with Aspergers to that extent doing in a regular buxiban? Wouldn’t that be a social nightmare as well as a teacher’s nightmare? I mean, he still has feelings like the other kids and probably can’t be held responsible for his behaviour, at least by a buxiban teacher. I also have a feeling that the teacher wasn’t informed of the child’s condition, which often happens in such settings. In any case, with behavior like that and the social behaviour of most people with Aspergers, she should have suspected something was wrong or at least asked about it before doing… what she did. Eep…

Lately every week -not to say almost every day- the news are filled with some horrible incident involving teachers and students. Most of them have to do with physical violence -teacher slaps pupil. Letely there have been others like 40 out of a class of 50 on drugs or the 36 year old teacher allegedly involved with a junior high student -aparently similar from a Japanese telenovela. So it is not Miaoli only.

Interesting how the parties involved fled so quickly. The one that slapped the child like 14 times on the face was actually defended as a previous best teacher prize winner.

On the other hand, in many places in the Western world, the news is often filled with some horrible incident involving teachers and students. Most of them have to do with physical violence -pupil slaps/stabs teacher.

It is horrible that a teacher would do that to a kid. But sometimes I can understand the frustration. There are many kids with problems in classes, especially in private schools or buxibans. The parents pay so the teachers have no support. They are not allowed to even mention to the parents that the kids have problems.
I have had many kids with special needs in “normal” classes and sometimes you spend half your time just controlling those children. In some places like the States, teachers actually have a helper in the class or special programs just to deal with “difficult” children.

I feel sorry for those children too, because sometimes they are really sweet, but they just don’t belong in the classes that they are thrown into.

That said, a teacher should never touch a child in a negative way or put them down like that. How does one deal with special needs children in a class like that? I struggle with this every day.

I was just reading about some supposedly popular teacher in the Yook who bludgeoned some kid like near to death with a 3-kilo dumbell.
And he got off with it!

I read about that a while back, Sandman. I was under the impression the kids were having a competition to see which teacher they could give a nervous breakdown to first. In the end they got a winner!

[quote=“sandman”]I was just reading about some supposedly popular teacher in the Yook who bludgeoned some kid like near to death with a 3-kilo dumbell.
And he got off with it![/quote]

An interesting case. He was “cleared of attempted murder because he was mentally unwell and had been tormented by the pupil.”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article7111814.ece

In grade nine me and my buddy were quite proud that we put the Chemistry teacher in the loony bin. You could argue that he was predisopsed that way or that the other kids had had a hand in it but actually I reckon it was me and buddy what done it. What ignorant, mean little bastards we were. Creative, cunning and persistant too. He tried to throw me out a door one time, which would have been understandable enough except that the door was closed. Ah, fond memories of youth and all that…

[quote=“nemesis”]
What is a kid with Aspergers to that extent doing in a regular buxiban? [/quote]
I had lots of weird, disgusting children in my classes at Kojen. Actually, wiping snot on other kids was fairly common.

[quote=“twonavels”]
That said, a teacher should never touch a child in a negative way or put them down like that. How does one deal with special needs children in a class like that? I struggle with this every day.[/quote]

I’m curious if this almost needs a separate forum because special education is not an easy one in a real classroom. Add to that what most of us live in and work in on a daily basis and it’s a nightmare.

The first step to any teaching is to understand the child. If you’re asking about Autism, like the example the OP posted (Asperger’s Syndrome is on the Autism Spectrum), there is a good video in the $100 bin of some video stores from Dicovery Health called “Fires of the Mind - The Invisible Wall: Autism.” It’s a great introduction to Autism and you don’t have to have a PhD in psychology to understand it. As a side note, I know a lot of research changes with Autism quite quickly. I don’t know if EVERYTHING said in the video is 100% accurate.

I would also look for videos on youtube by or featuring Temple Grandin. She is a leader in understanding and communicating Autism to others. She has Autism and still has a good level of communication.

That said, a child with problems such as these should not be in the class, but you, as a “teacher” do not have the ability to even suggest that. You’ll just have to make the experience as positive as you can.

If you are speaking of other students with issues, it might be best to start a new thread asking about a specific example. I’m not what I would call an “expert” in special education, but it is something I spend a good portion of my free time studying and writing about and have a few tips to share; as I’m sure others on the board can help with as well.