Miaoli Motorsports Park

Work on this project slowly progressing. We had a meeting (Voluntary) to involve the local residents, to see if any concerns . Not a place for Racing Cars really but a place to drive quickly and have coaching. Long , hard, slog to get to this stage. I think would have been easier to build a Nuclear Power Station sometimes. No big profit scheme but huge effort to make it happen, even on a small scale. Google transalate describes me as “Veteran”…nice :slight_smile:
http://udn.com/NEWS/DOMESTIC/DOM3/8190651.shtml

Interesting, I’ll go check it out someday.

Cheers you are welcome any time. It is a challenge to maintain the Land and restore the Lake etc. which has been left in a sorry state. The Land is mainly Sand and was made into a scenic area with a large carpark and huge wooden building. The people just did not use it and the building had to be demolished. The Land was left. Shame as they spent so much to make it so nice originally. I hope we can make it really nice and show what is possible. Chance for battery technology companies to test their developments as well as the Fossil burning stuff…be nice to get to Carbon neutral status…be a first in this Industry.
Can’t see us returning a profit for a long time to be honest…goodbye to 200 Million NT. Hoping to be able to train Emergency service drivers etc. and lots of projects with Vehicle Manufacturers.

I like that county and if your track will ever accept bikes I might like it even more.

Congratulations btw.

Can’t seem to open that link on Mobile. Whereabouts in Miaoli will this be? In comparison to LTNS in Longtan’s set-up, will it be similar or better?

not sure if this link will work.

https://maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=houli+taiwan&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x3469100604b99c3f:0x8a45c9bda9dc7e34,Houli+District,+Taichung+City&gl=tw&ei=VotHUs6JFcbLlAXYrIGgDw&ved=0CIIBELYD

Different to Longtan design…more flowing/faster with more run-off area.

Ah, so about 1 km west of that mark. The old lake area. Looks like you won’t have to put up much money for car parking facilities. :smiley:

And anything that’s more flowing and has more runoff than Longtan must be a blessing.

Good luck.

Sounds promising if everything goes through. Hopefully the owners will keep safety, accessibility and affordability as important aspects of this project.

I see a Lotus 7 kit car on the picture. How are the rules on building a kit car I Taiwan? Is it even possible?

Wish you good luck

Getting them registered is the issue. We have been trying for a Year or more (as the Official Caterham Importer in Taiwan) and as we pass one issue, we seem to be presented with another. We hope to get there in the end. We have established that it is impossible to ever register a self-built car but possible with a Factory built car.

Good luck! I race at the longtan race track. Been doing it for about 5 years. I would love to get on another racetrack especially one that is still affordable and safer. I heard the go-cart track will be open first. I don’t know if that is true, but I heard the go-cart track is about just as long as TIS (1.4 kilometers.) That would be cool as long as they allow small cc bikes on the track too. I had to meet with the president of the Taiwan Chinese Motorsports association recently and he told me about the go-cart track being opened first. Anyway…keep us posted!

Is it true that Longtan is having to close?
The original plan(not ours) for our place was a kart track but we modified it to be longer and more suitable for cars when we took over the project. I have not worked out the bike situation yet but the plan is to make it a place with plenty of run-off. I want to keep the Local residents happy so I’m not sure if the bikes would be a little loud for them.We have started with Ground Inspections for the Circuit design and hope to finish the Tarmac by around March/April.Very sandy …so difficult build.
I also met with our Doctor friend in Taipei to talk about FIA stuff. It is incredible to hear the varying stories about our track! I think there have been quite a few bad schemes in the past. Bad news about Longtan if it is true. :cry:

The original plan(not ours) for our place was a kart track but we modified it to be longer and more suitable for cars when we took over the project. I have not worked out the bike situation yet but the plan is to make it a place with plenty of run-off. I want to keep the Local residents happy so I’m not sure if the bikes would be a little loud for them.We have started with Ground Inspections for the Circuit design and hope to finish the Tarmac by around March/April.Very sandy …so difficult build.
I also met with our Doctor friend in Taipei to talk about FIA stuff. It is incredible to hear the varying stories about our track! I think there have been quite a few bad schemes in the past. Bad news about Longtan if it is true. :cry:[/quote]

Here is the article if you can read Chinese. It looks like they are going to court, but it isn’t looking good. TIS is going to be closed for the next few weeks and we will know the outcome after that. I have a bad feeling about it.
http://tw.news.yahoo.com/龍潭樂活賽車場-下月起停業拆除-004055114.html?fb_action_ids=665812326771510&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=facebook_cb

Yeah, I met with our mutual doctor friend too. He seemed not to know much about the Miaoli track, or maybe he just didn’t want to tell me about it. I know you are a car guy and so was I back home, but since I have moved onto motorcycles because of the environment there. Anyway, we need a track that will be affordable, safe and will allow any motorcycle size and type. Anything from old school 2-strokes 150cc to 4-stroke 1300cc big bikes. We need a place for scooters and motorcycles, small cc and large. In my opinion TIS was such a perfect track for small CC bikes. It was a little tiny for big bikes, but they were obviously still welcomed and could still have a lot of fun. What is great about TIS was that is is extremely cheap. 150nt for a 20 min session or 500nt for all day. Taiwan definitely needs this. One of the main reasons why TIS has lost business is because the track has been run down and not fixed. It is basically a joke. The track itself is getting more dangerous every year. There are so many guys that want to tack their bikes and scooters to the track but they are afraid of TIS because it sucks. Other than that, we only have these small go-cart tracks. I have done a few endurance races on them. They are fun, but even with a 150cc you are only using 2nd and barely 3rd gear, so it gets boring fast. The track down in Pingtung (Pen Bay) is made for rich guys. It isn’t cheap getting on that track if you are a high school English teacher. So, if TIS closes there really needs to be something similar to it. Something safe, relatively cheap and a track that welcomes all kinds of motorcycles. I hope this will happen in the future. TIS is tired. It has been slowly turning into garbage for 20 years. I think it has finally died. End of an era.

Nice, congrats and good luck! And I truly hope, like that cliche story about throwing back the sea stars in the ocean, you can improve the local’s driving skills, one driver at a time!

I still want to give it a shoot to those track days. Problem is that as time passes bye I’m more of a chicken and less of that crazy guy taking mountain curves without worrying too much. But if I ever go to Miaoli and you guys decide to open it for bikes, it could be a nice experience for me.

I also met with our Doctor friend in Taipei to talk about FIA stuff. It is incredible to hear the varying stories about our track! I think there have been quite a few bad schemes in the past. Bad news about Longtan if it is true. :cry:[/quote]

Once you get the drift crowd out, your noise abatement efforts will be out the door. Squealing tire sound does carry quite a bit. Motorcycles with OEM exhaust systems shouldn’t be a noise concern as most modern bikes are certified under 90db with stock street-legal exhaust systems (except HD bikes at 107db). Too bad about TIS, but it’s not like we didn’t see that coming.

I really tried to arrange Driver training, with Government support. We have the Driver training…we have Zero support :frowning:
I will try but

You are welcome anytime…It should be much safer for bikes.

So, when is this track going to open for motorcycles? Do you know if there are going to be any restrictions? For example, the Pen Bay track doesn’t let 2-stroke bikes on (I just heard that they might have changed this rule, but it is way too expensive to get onto that track anyway.)

How many corners, how long is the track? Do you have a diagram or map of the track? Are there going to be practice days? TIS was pretty much open daily for practice and usually Sunday’s were event days. Anyway, I’m apart of a team here in Taiwan and I have a race bike that is pretty much useless now if TIS closes. So, I would really like to know as much as possible. If this new track is going to be similar to Ben Pay then it wont be worth it and there won’t be any riders/racers to be willing to fork out “that” much cash a year to ride and or practice.