Michelin Guide Taipei 2019

Sorry Brian I only dine in Neihu. :rofl:

Missing out !
There’s a queue forming as we speak.

that looks like something i warm up at 2am after a bottle of whisky.

i think those chefs have a competition running which one can come up with the biggest BS concept and still earn a star.

3 Likes

Could easily be something coming out of me, after two bottles of cheap whisky.

3 Likes

Deleted.

Has 3 Coins lost its Michelin star?

It doesn’t appear to be on the current Michelin list.

Then again, it should perhaps never have been on the Michelin list!

Guy

They do great duck. Best I’ve ever had, and I’ve had a fair few ducks.

Here my admittedly off-the-cuff remark is based on Michael Fei’s assessment of the initial Michelin results back in April 2018:

Ya Ge and Three Coins are in the same category as both restaurants serve Cantonese food. Michelin awards both with one star and this is simply misguided. The food at Ya Ge is more refined than at Three Coins. Even without considering service and decor, Ya Ge is a superior restaurant. Furthermore, Ya Ge is on par with the two-star Cantonese restaurants in Hong Kong that I have visited.

Source:

Rereading Fei, it may be more precise to say that other places in Taipei are better restaurants, or have become better restaurants, than Three Coins.

Guy

I’ve not been to Ya Ge. I’ll give it a try.

With Ya Ge, I’m not sure what you’ll experience there right now. The Mandarin Hotel in Taipei has been in something of the crisis, shutting down its hotel rooms due to the coronavirus situation. I simply don’t know if and how the food and beverage part of its operations has been affected.

Cheers,
Guy

Another entertaining Michelin take-down has been posted by Michael Fei, this time reporting his views of the Spring 2020 menu at RAW:

http://michaelfei.blogspot.com/2020/06/

Guy

4 Likes

Nothing there looks like 2 stars to me. Even 1 is pushing it.