Michelin Guide Taipei 2019

The 2019 version of the Michelin Guide Taipei will be released on April 10. In the meantime, we are starting to get a glimpse of some new additions to the guide in the “Bib Gourmand” (i.e. more accessible!) category. Some details are available here:

As well, here is Focus Taiwan’s report:

Enjoy!

Guy

I really wonder how many of the affordable daily restaurants do they visit before they come up with that list. Not a negative stab at Michelin, just curiosity.

A Cheng goose is quite close to work and definitely decent, wouldn’t have thought it’ll make that list though!

2 Likes

Mother’s Kitchen Shilin District offers classic Taiwanese comfort food such as lard rice and fried eggs with preserved radish.

Fried eggs with preserved radish is a Taiwanese dish now ?

1 Like

I think they must mean that omelette thing. Tsai bo nng

1 Like

If they mean omelette with fermented turnip it’s a Hakka dish. The real deal is tasty.

2 Likes

Where do the Hakka people originate from ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Different parts of China and they migrated at different times to Taiwan . But mostly they come from Guangdong area originally (before that…not sure…They are like Jewish people moving around ).
Rice farmers grow turnips to fertilise the fields in between rice planting . They will pick some of them to preserve or eat in soups too. Probably they fed the pigs with them in the old days.
But get back to the point…That’s one of my favourite dishes and I believe it is actually Hakka. If anybody knows otherwise happy to hear you out :).
客家菜脯蛋
https://youtu.be/oUorR_DYFQU

3 Likes

Michelin’s 2019 results are now out.

Palais de Chine—which controversially received three stars in 2018—remains the only three star selection.

Among Michelin’s more ridiculous selections, Taipei’s Tainan Tan Tsu Mien (台南担仔麵) received a star, placing it in line with Robuchon’s Taipei outpost.

Details about this year’s selections are posted here in this Focus Taiwan report:

A complete list of this year’s selections, including Bib Gourmand and L’Assiette Michelin (neither of which receive stars) is available here:

Guy

1 Like

Anyone ever eaten there? Passed by the other day, still looks the same.

1 Like

Michelin Guides are such garbage. I’ve eaten at Michelin 1 and 2 star restaurants that are inferior to small, unpretentious places that are a fraction of the price and only known to the locals.

2 Likes

It’s a reasonable guarantee of quality in Europe IME. Elsewhere, not so much.

1 Like

That’s because all their judges are European and not plugged in to the local culture in Asia, Latin America, and elsewhere.

3 Likes

Would love to see a similar guide for asian cuisine. I bet there are many fantastic restaurants all across Asia that deserves some recognition.

The Michelin star restaurants I’ve tried in Europe were all pretty fantastic. There’s this one nearby that is in the Tuscan country with beautiful scenery and a falcon that I just went to.

image image image image image

2 Likes

Pretty much summed up my thoughts when I saw the the announcements on social media. I guess the Hermes bone china did its work! To be fair it’s not a bad place, but alas.

1 Like

Three Michelin restaurants on the same block.

What a joke.

New to the Taipei Michelin Guide list are Sushi Amamoto with 2 stars, while RAW and Tarroir both moved up to two stars (!!), joining neighbor Shoun Ryugin , taking the number of 2 starred restaurants in Taipei from two to five. RAW and Shoun Ryugin are in the same building in Neihu, while Tarroir is right next door, so there are six Michelin stars just in that one block.

I will open my new restaurant called F8RMENT right next door , shine up the cutlery, buy some kitch decoration and grease some palms with lovely Tai Bi.

Next I will set up my new Dutch Taiwanese Fusion affair down at Anping gate.

KOXINGA! YiNGA! (Damn that’s actually pretty catchy :grin:)

Gouda Cheese with unknown Red Sauce Geng Rice Noodles .

5 Likes

An entertaining take-down of the Michelin “formula” in Taipei appears here. It’s a great read!

Guy

4 Likes

I don’t think raw deserves 2 stars. It’s barely 1 Star imo. I’ve been to 2 stars in Europe and raw isn’t on that level imo.

1 Like

Come on Andrew it’s RAW not raw.
Get with the program !

1 Like

I think the lower case raw may be even more pretentious.

It might even merit an extra michelin star. : D

Guy

2 Likes

This place down in Tainan may be worth a visit.
Subtle flavours. Chef has trained under Mongolian sheep herders .

1 Like