Microsoft Windows XP Rocks! Anyone Else?

What did I just say about the promises made by MS everytime they announce a new version? Well, here we go (again):

[quote]Microsoft unwraps ‘Longhorn’
Next version of Windows operating system promises greater security and fewer crashes.[/quote]

Uh, really ‘new’, I am impressed. Not.

money.cnn.com/2003/10/27/technol … tm?cnn=yes

:unamused:

I paid full retail for Win98 when it appeared. Microsoft soon realised it was so full of bugs that they needed to release a second edition. You’d think they might at least have offered a discount to allow users (testers) to upgrade, but no we were expected to pay full price for Win98 SE, itself full of bugs. We use Win98SE in the office and you can bank on it crashing almost daily.

So now I’m running an illegal version of XP Pro. Thankfully, it is considerably more stable though it’s not without problems and is still full of “holes” evidently since there are almost weekly “security updates”.

xp rocks… in comparison to older versions
it stinks when you consider…

it doesn’t crash now… at least not technically… it just makes itself reboot. oh great.

you need weekly updates for this minor problem or that blah blah.

most of the viruses out there target windoze sent by ppl who don’t like windoze, ms products, AOL, etc.

still since MS has cornered the market, most of the products out there are MS-compatible. maybe when apple can boast more software developers i will switch. (except now it looks like developers are migrating away from Apple)

I’m no fan of M$ but I’m going to have to say that XP is probably the best version of Windows so far (if you have the hardware to run it)

To all the linux users, more power to you. Until there’s an easy way for the average user to do simple stuff with a linux box, I’m reluctant to recommend anyone use it as a Windows replacement.

If you want something a little cheaper try Windows RG (Really Good) Edition

I agree to some extent about XP’s practicality for computer Users. Though personally prefer 2000Pro in the MS line and Red Hat in the Linux line…(MS’s biggest current threat as they’ve bought into a good bite of the Apple) It’s definitely the most visually pleasing out there. My girlfriend love it. I find it to be a pain in the ass compared to 2000Pro. Too much crap running in the background. I’m sure that it’s running well for now but when windows crashes…It crashes hard no matter what the version. Usually right when you need it most. So enjoy the ride good sir, “By the prickle in my thumb, something wicked this way come.” If you’ve got a burner, you best back it all up.

Linux vs Windows is a old story, the biggest problem is appliactions.

The big problem with Linux apps is they follow not lead. Office is prime example not a single office me has some thing good for people to change.

Plus one must must remember “Brain” is not free, Companies need to pay there " Brains ". No money no good software.

Linux has got great applications and talking about Office. I prefer OpenOffice.org, it follows the industry standards, has better way of placing everything in it’s menu’s. And it doesn’t mess up other document made by an other program or older version. It’s tragic to see that Office97 documents often can’t be openend in Office2000 without having some formatting error. I have less formatting errors in my OpenOffice. But maybe that’s because the documents I read and get are more from people like me … GIMP, Sodipodi (both great graphic programs).
But I do agree that it’s an old discusion … but I just try to break some clich

The remains the same Linux making better “me-to” software. All the cutting edge software still are avalible on Windows or Unix . Where companies know they are earn money.
After a while it comes on Linux, mostly a port :-< . Nothing great