🥮 🚌 Mid-Autumn Travel | Newbie Trying to Travel During Mid-Autumn Holiday

HELP! Just trying to understand the lay of the land as I think we’ve already made too many mistakes so I want to know how to prepare better in the future.

For a long time we’ve had refundable hotel reservations for the Mid-Autumn holiday weekend. I thought we’d be able to figure out the transportation at some point…so I casually checked a few weeks ago and none of the high speed rail tickets were for sale yet. Then at the beginning of the week I noticed they were for sale and almost everything was sold out. Oh well, I figured I’d wait til the weekend (today) and really dig into it…the regular train would be a backup plan. Nope…tried reserving today and all the workable options for TRA are all sold out as well. Unless I’m missing something.

Is this how it always is? For a national holiday, do we need to book our train tickets like we would buy Taylor Swift tickets (just an example…I have never desired to go to her concerts). Even for the regular train?

Someone told me to just go on the train and use an Easycard…but I don’t know if they have any clue what they’re talking about.

Also, is renting a car a viable alternative? Or will the traffic be so insane that I’d rather be at a Taylor Swift concert. Do I need to cancel the hotels and stay in town?

Thanks for any and all advice!

1 Like

Yep! Fortunately the buses are easier to book.

But even those can fill up.

2 Likes

Are there decent bus options from Taipei to Taichung? Will the traffic be horrendous?

HSR and TRA both offer “walk-on” tickets which you purchase at the station when you travel. You basically buy the ticket and wait in line on the platform at a specific spot, for the non-reserved seating car. If you don’t get on the train, then you just remain in line and wait for the next one. Once you board the train you might have to stand in the aisles though.

This is a good option if you don’t have to be at your destination by a specific time.

3 Likes

During the morning and evening? Yes. Try to go off peak hours.

If you can do the late evening before middle of the night, it will be a breeze

I take night buses to Kaohsiung and sleep on them.

3 Likes

Yes or even better try HSR.

Thank you, I suspected as much so good to hear it fully explained.

HSR is completely sold out for any decent time. But I’ve gone ahead and booked one anyway and we’ll just pull the kids out of school earlier than planned.

1 Like

The poster i replied to said they are booked solid. I offered an alternative.

1 Like

Traffic will be incredibly bad the evening before any holiday and the last day of the holiday, otherwise it’s fine.

1 Like

That’s why i said late evening [or midnight]. The locals gotta be tucked in for bed time.

1 Like

With two young kids my wife is insisting we get back at a decent hour. Otherwise sure, we’d take the 23:30 train (there’s still seats left haha)

We’ll brave the traffic on the bus Sunday afternoon. Oh well.

Now the question is…do we need to reserve buses from Taichung to Ciingjing ahead of time? Or should that be ok…we’re just doing the public bus anyway so I don’t think there’s a reservation option.

Keep checking the app/website periodically. People cancel and those seats are re-released in batches.

2 Likes

Take the train from Nangang, its the first station so if you buy non reserved seat, you should be able to sit down (normally cars 10,11,12. Sometimes its also car 8 and 9)

On the return, I would just stand for the 45-60 minute ride vs. the bus unless you wanted save money.

3 Likes

Travel agencies get the lion 's share of HSR and TRA tickets. Pay a bit more yes, but you’ll get them tickets.

Most car rentals should be booked by now and as said, the traffic should be horrid. An option would be to try to book if from say, the Taichung HSR station. Might get lucky and help you have more mobility especially with kids.

Sadly most TRA bookings are done by agents in bulk and that’s why they get booked so quickly.

But sometimes TRA would get arrange more trains and so if u try after few days, u might be able to get a ticket and sometimes even at the very end when agents are unable to find customers for all tickets , they become empty so u can go directly to station and ask if they have any tickets available.

I would rent a car, if that is an option. Much more flexibility. Especially if you plan to go to Qingjing Farm. I wouldn’t want to be stuck in the bus on the freeway and especially not on the road to Qingjing, with kids. With a car you can make pee breaks, change your route, avoid traffic jams, don’t have to carry stuff around, etc.

I would avoid popular places altogether during those long weekends, to be honest. You can easily do Qingjing on a normal weekend. Take the HSR early from Taipei, you’ll be at the farm before noon, I think there are even direct buses from Taipei, can’t remember. Spend a night in the mountains, nights there are awesome.

1 Like

You’re suggesting he book a rental car from near a major HSR station? What makes you think there will still be any left?

I’d say try to book one from a company that’s not within walking distance from any major transport hubs, and just taxi there.