“Midnight Cafeteria” project feeds Taipei’s stray cats

Cool concept.

Feeding stray cats, 45 small wooden houses painted by Taiwanese artists and scattered across Taipei. Each house has its own address.

Anyone seen one of these cat houses?

I wonder how some random news picked up this story

3 Likes

Only if they had boxes to capture the cats.
We should have compassion for strays, yes, but there is a limit. One of the parks where I live had to post signs against feeding stray dogs. People would acquire cute little puppies, then dump them once they started to grow. The “compassionate” would come and feed the abandoned dogs, resulting in the proliferation of strays. Same for cats.

1 Like

Yep that also becomes a problem. I’m kind of surprised they’re encouraging having strays in neighborhoods.

You wouldn’t want to live near one. They feed they breed.

1 Like

If they’re also getting them spayed then it’s OK, but I still wouldn’t like some cat lady feeding them near me.

1 Like

They keep the rat population at bay.

In our hood, the neighbors got rid of the strays in our alley. The result is we have more rats running about than in the traditional market or in the next alley where with 3 resident cats rats don’t dare trespassing into homes.

The aixin mothers feed, heal and neuter the strays. TNR is used for ferals, kittens are socialized and a home is found.

Problem as you pointed out is people: they keep dumping unwanted pets. It is difficult to catch up if the irresponsible owners can get away with it.

2 Likes

And @icon found the topic!

I was waiting to see how long it would take.

2 Likes

They might scare them off, but I don’t think cats torture and kill rats to an extent that they keep them at bay. Smaller animals they are very successful at torturing and killing.

Please keep them in the cities instead of dumping the cats near our house in the countryside. Last night saw another new cat running out from our front yard last night when I arrived home. Out here I do believe the cats catch more birds than rats. Last week I saw a cat near our house carrying a small pheasant he caught.

More news

Yeah unfortunately rats here in Taiwan are max size!

my mate’s dogs are scared of the rats here.

Unfortunately, we animal lovers cannot control where irresponsible owners dump unwanted pets.

Most domestic cats that have never hunted and are dumped in the mountains die quickly and horribly because they become wild dogs prey or get caught in illegal traps or starve to death, waiting for their owners.

In Kaohsiung I’d always hear a lot of howling in the back alley at 2am. The cats were getting some more often than me.

It didn’t help that everyday at 5pm a cat lady would come with food and there would literally be 40 cats around her to get fed. The next month there would be 100 strays and so on

Oh…and yes, here in the countryside we get our fair share of dogs. In past the wild dogs seem to have the upper hand but now mostly see wild cats. The cats can survive on the trash people dump along the roads (easy to just dump on our small country road that wait for garbage truck).

We even had a small cute white bunny dumped near our soon to be finished house (I guess dumped by one of the university students). Was late and night and I felt sorry for him so put him outside the house with a box, blanket and water. I had not moved in yet so went home and came back 7 hours later…only to find him killed by a cat.

Wonder if this is still happening.

Stray cats and dogs can destroy whole native ecosystems.

Automotive anti-freeze/coolant has the nickname “anti-cat” for a reason…