Midnight firecrackers

one might’ve been mine.

…sorry

1 Like

Jesus no. My first CNY was in Kunming in 1989. Everyone was out street fighting with Roman candles. Great fun until one exploded in my hand. Deaf in one ear for three days.

1 Like

Ooops- meant 1987. I’m old, but not that old.

4 Likes

I was wondering. Any foreigner living in Nanjing in 1967 must have some stories - that’s Cultural Revolution time. (And would there even have been any high-rises?)

3 Likes

That’s where I was too, a good 4 decades behind you. Must have been quite different then!

Edit: 2.5 decades, hadn’t scrolled yet.

Amen. I’m currently “enjoying” some of the undead crack banshees in my normally quiet-ish neighborhood. The rat-a-tat ones are even worse. How is this pointless noise allowed in the same city where live music venues are constantly closing due to noise complaints?

1 Like

That was before Trudeau senior normalized relations. It must have been something to be there before Canada’s then resident philosopher king made his move!

EDIT: Now I too see that this details has been amended. :rofl:

Guy

You were in Nanjing in 1867!

Sailed on a Nantucket whaler, then was Shanghaied- I’ll tell about it sometime

3 Likes

Sell the lyrics to Tom Waits.

Nangang was quiet. Or maybe I didn’t hear it over the gunshot sounds and explosions from my headphones :ponder:

The all night and day firecrackers are worse. Especially the ones between 2 AM and 7 AM.

Where do people buy these things, anyway? I’ve asked and keep getting told they’re illegal. I want something to shoot back at the bastards who set off a bunch of shells outside my window at 3am.

fireworks?! where? when? it’s holiday time…I don’t even hear it anymore.

maybe cos I’ve been living around the 20th floor for 10 years or so…but I do remember 'back in the day ’ random days, not a holiday for weeks, but WW3 taking off at 6.30 am on a Sunday morning outside my window. It’s a Taiwan that’s disappearing.

Taiwan is constantly changing. Even the morning garbage truck doesn’t play music in my hood anymore. (jealous?)

Any night market. Loads of stalls selling them.

Near temples and CNY ‘night’ markets. Just people setting up random stalls, totally illegal but they get the goods.

Yes, they seem pop up at this time of the year.

In case anyone is wondering if @OliviaLinToo is joking or exaggerating: last night, quiet Nangang finally got it’s share of firecrackers. At frigging close to 3am. Seemingly from the nearby temple. Crazy?

is today an auspicious day or something?
11:30 tonight it sounded like a fireworks warehouse exploded. Then it got quiet. Now, 12:14 am, they are setting them off again.

pisses me off
:rage: :rant:

Nothing here in my local area in the South, I guess some local event or temple event? Sometimes in the hood the loudspeaker tells you before??