Milwaukee Is Named 'Drunkest City' (Go Miltown!)

Finally a good reason to be proud of my home town. :beer:

[quote=“ABC News”]Milwaukee has been ranked by Forbes.com as “America’s Drunkest City” on a list of 35 major metropolitan areas ranked for their drinking habits.

Forbes said Tuesday it used numbers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to rank cities in five areas: state laws, number of drinkers, number of heavy drinkers, number of binge drinkers and alcoholism.

[Continue Article][/quote]

[quote=“Forbes.com”]
It will come as no surprise that the residents of a city known as “The Nation’s Watering Hole” like to have a beer or two.

But Milwaukee isn’t just your average brewing town. It’s the hardest-drinking city in America, according to Forbes.com’s ranking of America’s Drunkest Cities.

To determine the rankings, we started with a list of the largest metropolitan areas in the continental U.S. Thirty-five candidate cities were chosen based on availability of data and geographic diversity.

Each city was ranked in five areas: state laws, number of drinkers, number of heavy drinkers, number of binge drinkers and alcoholism

[Continue Article][/quote]

No wonder I get funny looks when people find out I started drinking here.

I don;t think that’s why you get the funny looks :wink:

Well that’s no surprise, next they’ll do a study and tell us that the sky is blue. My question though is what types of beer they consume the most, since you tend to run into a lot of beer snobs from Wisconsin who will look down on beer from just about anywhere else. I want to know if they’re really drinking the local stuff or if they really cave in and drink Bud and Coors like the ordinary Joe.

Lots of people drink Miller (Bud, Coors, etc.), but there’s also a very thriving Mirco Brewery thing going on there. I’m actually looking forward to going back and participating :beer:

Isn’t that where Lavoin and Shirley worked in a brewery?

HG

Indeed!

Drunker than your average Irish town?

Drunker and with more guns.

Damn you Milltown, why now I’ve gone and read up another US city with a population under a million. How many Australian towns can you name with less than a million people in them? Thanks to television and the like I know oodles of yours.

But I’m also quite satisfied cos I never really knew where Millwalkie (you don’t really expect me to learn how to spell the damned name too?) was, or anything else about it except that Laverne and Shirley lived there and worked in a brewery. Is Laverne’s awful accent how people speak in Millwalkie? Why do they have so many guns? Is it a dangerious place? For some reason I think of Wisconsin as a land of snow and ice and pissed off used car salesmaen fucking up the kidnapping of their wives. Not particularly violent, or capable, either. In fact I have it on good authority that the ransom from that kidnapping is buried by the side of an icey highway.

HG

Lots of bears, wolves and Indians. Scary place at night.

I never really watched the show, but I’m sure someone does. Who cares about them when the original PIMP of TV is from Milwaukee.

It’s a dagerous place because we have so many guns… Or we have so many guns because it’s a dangerous place. I even illegally owned a gun once because I got a good deal on it :smiley: (never fired it though.)

Wisconsin is pretty lame, but Milwaukee can be pretty fusking hardcore.

I think that would be a bit further up north, HGC, as in “Fargo,” North Dakota, as well as in Minnesota.

Wisconsin is the land of cheese, bratwurst, and beers. It is also home to the Green Bay Packers, the traditional rivals of the Chicago Bears.

And what beer do they drink in Milwaukee? Well, miltownkid can confirm or refute this, but I always thought it was Old Milwaukee–Milwaukee’s best beer.

I must admit that we did drink “old Swill” a bit further south as well (it was cheap in cases of 24).

And Milwaukee’s baseball team? The Brewers, of course.

I don’t even know this story…

For some reason, I think of sad folk, such as those who make silly comments about Wisconsin and other midwestern states, wasted pieces of skin and and other human organs.
Peace, Mark

Whoa, Ma Ke and MK.

I was trying to quote something from another post and the quote funtion went a bit astray on me.

To clarify, the origial reference was to the movie “Fargo” (I think).

Sorry for the confusion.

[quote=“fee”]Whoa, Ma Ke and MK.

I was trying to quote something from another post and the quote funtion went a bit astray on me.

Sorry for the confusion.[/quote]
I wasn’t confused. I looked back at the second page and put two and two together :slight_smile:. I just was wondering what I was missing from the kidnapping equation. I only saw Fargo once and barely remember it.

Fee,
Peace, it’s all good.
I wish you only the best!
Goodnight, Mark

[/quote]

[quote]Fee,
Peace, it’s all good.
I wish you only the best!
Goodnight, Mark[/quote]

:slight_smile:

[quote=“miltownkid”][quote=“fee”]Whoa, Ma Ke and MK.

Sorry for the confusion.[/quote]
I wasn’t confused. I looked back at the second page and put two and two together :slight_smile:. I just was wondering what I was missing from the kidnapping equation. I only saw Fargo once and barely remember it.[/quote]

Yeah I was talking about Fargo, but it seems I’ve bollocksed my geography all over again. I;ll not be looking it up again, no way, not until you can tell me one Australian town with under 100,000 people in it.

HG